Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The new Downton Abbey film

(18 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 05-May-22 08:38:46

Went to cinema to see this and throughly enjoyed it as did the rest of the audience by the sounds of laughter and the ahh's!!!! ? It was as I had expected and more. Just like seeing old family members once more for a catch up.?

Aveline Thu 05-May-22 08:44:06

I'm so keen to see this but couldn't get DH to agree. One day though!

Calendargirl Thu 05-May-22 08:49:35

Aveline

I'm so keen to see this but couldn't get DH to agree. One day though!

Go on your own, or with a friend.

My DH doesn’t like the same films as I do.

merlotgran Thu 05-May-22 09:06:06

I’m going to see it on Sunday with DD. Can’t wait.

I haven’t been to the cinema for years as DH hated them so I used to take my mum or go with a friend. After mum died it was easier to just not bother.

Parsley3 Thu 05-May-22 09:17:29

I am going on Saturday. I am glad to hear a good review.

Floradora9 Thu 05-May-22 16:51:10

We always go on a Tuesday or Wednesday as I have a Meercat Movie code which gets us in half price . If you are interested googie Meercat movies from Compare the market . Our cinema now £11 a go so well worth it . You buy one day's insurance and that gets you the discount for a year.

Shirleyw Fri 06-May-22 01:28:27

I’m looking forward to seeing it next week.

Catterygirl Fri 06-May-22 02:07:14

Me too.

BigBertha1 Fri 06-May-22 06:51:06

We went to see it on Bank Holiday Monday in the huge screen room. There was 8 people in there at 11am so it was very comfortable. Fabulous dresses, terrible script but very enjoyable all the same.

Namsnanny Mon 09-May-22 00:33:23

Yes I agree with you BigBertha1
Just as I'm wriggling around in my seat at the cheesy lines, they hit me with a very touching scene that leaves me near to tears grin
(I wont give anything away)

Chewbacca Thu 12-May-22 23:25:11

Well that's 2 hours of my life that I won't get back. More ham in that film than in a butcher's window.

Calendargirl Fri 13-May-22 06:50:09

Haven’t seen the film, but in the trailers, Hugh Bonneville seems to look different somehow.

Has he had ‘work’ done, or is it the make up?

Or is it me?

Grandmabatty Fri 13-May-22 08:11:27

I went with friends on Tuesday. I thought everything was telegraphed from the start. It wasn't deep and meaningful but it passed a couple of hours.

Parsley3 Fri 13-May-22 09:52:30

I found the bowing and forelock tugging in the first film quite sickening. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this one even though I can’t take to that Lady Mary. Hugh B looks as though he has lost weight. It suits him.

Shirleyw Wed 18-May-22 19:13:36

I liked the film a lot, was amusing in parts. Yes, H. Bonneville appears to have lost weight, almost ill looking imo......

hollysteers Thu 19-May-22 13:09:33

I loved it, cheesy yes, like a box of violet creams.
I was a bit shocked by Bonneville’s appearance, hope he’s ok…

nanna8 Thu 19-May-22 13:51:59

We thought Hugh actually looks younger in this film- perhaps he has had a bit of work done. He looks too young to be the Dad and how come the eldest daughter became the matriarch and not his wife ?

hollysteers Thu 19-May-22 19:42:03

Good point nanna8 More PC female empowerment?