Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Elvis by Baz Luhrman

(28 Posts)
Grandmabatty Fri 24-Jun-22 22:49:06

I saw this film tonight and was overwhelmed. The two leads are fantastic, it's a visual treat and the music was wonderful. Lots of superlatives but definitely worth it. It is long though.

Kate1949 Fri 24-Jun-22 22:58:24

Thank you Grandmabatty. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to see it.

ShazzaKanazza Fri 24-Jun-22 22:59:06

I think my DH would love to see this as he is a fan of Elvis so as it comes with your recommendation we will go and see it. I’ve heard the guy who plays Elvis is fantastic and I think Tom Hanks is brilliant in everything he does. Love him.

Shirleyw Sat 25-Jun-22 03:28:42

Thanks for that…I’m looking forward to seeing ‘Elvis’, glad you enjoyed it.

Aveline Sat 25-Jun-22 06:38:30

I saw a trailer for it and thought it looked good. The reviews are good. I really fancy seeing it.

TerriBull Sat 25-Jun-22 06:40:58

I also saw it last night I thought Baz Luhrman has produced a very good biopic. As you say it's pretty long and agree the performances, Tom Hanks, as the appalling Colonel Parker, excellent, I didn't know he was a Dutch illegal immigrant before. The film belongs to the very talented young actor, who played Elvis brilliantly not to mention an incredible performance by another young singer/actor who portrayed Little Richard. I wasn't a fan of Elvis at all when I was growing up far more influenced by The Beatles. Only long after he died, in the last 20 or so years I've come to appreciate him and his voice.

Veering off topic slightly, for those who read "Where the Crawdads Sing" it was one of the trailers, thought it looked good.

nanna8 Sat 25-Jun-22 06:45:15

It got released here on Thursday- I'll go and see it too in a nice fancy cinema where you can stretch your legs out. I loved the Crawdads book so that will be another treat in store.

BigBertha1 Sat 25-Jun-22 06:57:17

TH loved Elvis but doesn't want to see a film about the cruelty of Col Parker surprised its Tom Hanks who we both love in films. I would love to hear some good things about the film to reassure TH so he can enjoy it. Elvis was before my time DH is a bit older than me.

Grandmabatty Sat 25-Jun-22 07:09:06

It's very much in the style of Baz Luhrman so that might not be to everyone's taste. Austin Butler is so good as Elvis. He manages to convince as a young gawky boy and as a forty year old man. Tom Hanks is superb as Parker.

Toetoe Sat 25-Jun-22 07:16:34

Is this in the cinema or on TV?

Grandmabatty Sat 25-Jun-22 07:20:00

Cinema

Toetoe Sat 25-Jun-22 07:30:09

Thank you ill go and see

Urmstongran Sat 25-Jun-22 07:39:45

I’d love to see it too GrandmaBatty. It’s had rave reviews hasn’t it? I’m another who didn’t realise Col. Parker had (very likely) murdered someone - a woman in her early 20’s - before fleeing Europe and settling in the USA. No wonder he didn’t want a passport! Sadly he prevented Elvis from touring Europe which he dearly wanted to do. Poor Elvis was manipulated aggressively by his manager. Apparently when he was chained by contract for years in Las Vegas the song ‘Suspicious Minds’ (caught in a trap) was poignant to some who knew him. Elvis seems to have been a sweet boy who was snared by a greedy agent with dollar signs in his eyes.

Grandmabatty Sat 25-Jun-22 07:48:10

It is wonderful Urms. At the end there is footage of the real Elvis and it's incredible how much Austin Butler was like him. I know by the power of makeup etc, but the mannerisms and voice are spot on. I was a fan of the young Elvis, not so much the Vegas years. His voice was so special.

TerriBull Sat 25-Jun-22 08:57:15

Urmstongran

I’d love to see it too GrandmaBatty. It’s had rave reviews hasn’t it? I’m another who didn’t realise Col. Parker had (very likely) murdered someone - a woman in her early 20’s - before fleeing Europe and settling in the USA. No wonder he didn’t want a passport! Sadly he prevented Elvis from touring Europe which he dearly wanted to do. Poor Elvis was manipulated aggressively by his manager. Apparently when he was chained by contract for years in Las Vegas the song ‘Suspicious Minds’ (caught in a trap) was poignant to some who knew him. Elvis seems to have been a sweet boy who was snared by a greedy agent with dollar signs in his eyes.

If I remember rightly, Elvis reluctance to come to Europe was presented as "he didn't like flying" which kind of contradicts the fact that he was flying across the US all the time and had in fact been to Europe anyway when he did his National Service in Germany.

No idea how manipulative Col Parker was, Tom Hanks plays to that very well in the film.

Cherrytree59 Sat 25-Jun-22 09:19:44

My brother in law's father whilst stationed Germany (National Service) caught a glimpse of Elvis.
Elvis was also stationed for in Germany for a couple of years.

Looking forward to new film.
I remember queueing in 70s to watch the last Elvis film not long before he died.

Toetoe Sat 25-Jun-22 10:22:43

Elvis was a very spiritual man and I love some of his spiritual songs , I do feel he was a good man but messed up sadly . He will always be forever young . So handsome too

JaneJudge Sat 25-Jun-22 10:25:28

One of my friends (also a fan) said it is amazing too. I must try and find the time to go and see it

Chestnut Sat 25-Jun-22 17:39:26

There have been loads of documentaries about Elvis and the Memphis Maphia were interviewed at length. The stories they told were heartbreaking. How Parker forced Elvis on stage when he was unwell and had collapsed with exhaustion. He kept him performing mostly to fund his excessive gambling habit and spent all Elvis's earnings at the roulette table. Just shocking. I absolutely detest that man.

Jane43 Sun 26-Jun-22 17:09:14

When we were teenagers my friends and I used to wait for the next Elvis film to come out and also his next record, his early records were amazing. We had pictures of him on our bedroom walls, he was incredibly good looking and sent iur teenage hormones into overdrive After Jailhouse Rock his films started to go downhill, it was obvious he was just making them under some sort of contract that focused on quantity rather than quality.. One friend was a huge fan all her life and managed to get to Graceland with her daughter a few years before she died; she had Amazing Grace played at her funeral and it was very moving. DH and I will be going to see the film as Elvis was a huge part of our youth and it has very good reviews.

MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Jun-22 17:57:55

Just back from seeing it - very Baz Luhrman but big, bold, stunning and very moving. If true (and I expect it is).what an odious blood sucking creep Col Tom Parker was. Tom Hanks way out of character- brave to,play this part I think
Fabulous music and costumes and a brilliant Elvis. Loved it!

Kate1949 Sun 26-Jun-22 18:07:13

I love Elvis now but it was my older sister who liked him back at the beginning. However, and I have posted this before, when I was about 13 I had a friend who was obsessed with Elvis. I mean totally obsessed. I went to see Blue Hawaii with her. She was a total embarrassment grin. During the scene where Elvis married, my friend stood up and shrieked at the screen in her finest Brummie accent 'Tek yer bleedin' hands orf him'. I can laugh now but not at the time

Clawdy Mon 27-Jun-22 08:15:17

Kate1949 that is hilarious!!

Chestnut Mon 27-Jun-22 09:39:09

My 6 year old granddaughter was obsessed with Elvis in Blue Hawaii for a while. She would pretend to go swimming in the sea with him......on my living room carpet.

VB000 Tue 26-Jul-22 10:41:17

We put off seeing the film as I wasn't sure I would like it - but I loved it!! Austin Butler deserves every award going - he WAS Elvis in this!