Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The catch

(49 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 25-Jan-23 22:00:14

Anyone watching this on channel 5 tonight I thought it was pretty good I didn’t nod of or anything and was quite on the edge of my seat at the end look forward to next Wednesday

Joseanne Wed 25-Jan-23 22:10:40

Yes, I think there's a lot of unravelling to come.
I'm confused about the setting. The overdone accents implied West Country, but the beach and scenery was nothinge like?

granfromafar Wed 25-Jan-23 22:30:43

Apparently it was filmed in Ireland, though the setting is SW England.

BigBertha1 Wed 25-Jan-23 22:44:21

Yes we watched it. Intriguing

Doodledog Wed 25-Jan-23 22:50:30

Isn't the boyfriend the image of Rufus Sewell?

I googled him, and they aren't related, but it's uncanny. Here they are for your delectation grin.

BlueBelle Wed 25-Jan-23 22:50:53

Do you know when I saw that inlet with the boats at the beginning I thought I d been there but threw it out as it was Ireland Did you see whereabouts BB

ExperiencedNotOld Thu 26-Jan-23 09:26:50

Yes, near Bray in Wicklow, an area I know well as I have family there. I don’t watch many of these type of thrillers but yes, I paid attention throughout. Let’s hope episode 2 is as good.

Clawdy Fri 27-Jan-23 08:59:29

Thought it a bit unlikely that the mother and daughter would have so readily accepted his explanation of picking up the prostitute. And that line of girls on the pier looked rather ridiculous. But it's an intriguing watch so far.

Sparklefizz Fri 27-Jan-23 09:31:01

I am enjoying it, mainly because I'm a great Jason Watkins fan, although I understand he and his wife lost a daughter several years ago and he says he used that pain to act this part, which must have been quite traumatic for him. I suppose he wouldn't have taken it on if he hadn't wanted to, though.

I'm finding the storyline somewhat frustrating with unlikely happenings - his wife and daughter constantly not believing him even when he shows evidence on his phone, and easily accepting Ryan's explanation re his change of name.

However - as in thrillers when the female who knows she is being stalked goes down into the cellar with a torch when she hears a noise (how unlikely is that??) - this is how dramas are padded out, otherwise it would just be one episode., and then The End. smile

I thought Cornwall was looking unrecognisable confused until I read the post about it being filmed in Ireland.

Doodledog Yes, the boyfriend has similar cheekbones and eyes to Rufus Sewell but is not nearly as gorgeous blush

62Granny Fri 27-Jan-23 21:50:07

As someone said the West country accents are over done and iI thought the boyfriend was a bit dodgy from the beginning ('wasn't be in Casualty?), I will watch it again just to find out where it is going.

1987H2001M2002Inanny Fri 27-Jan-23 22:02:56

Doodledog...I agree,he does look like R.S

Joseanne Fri 27-Jan-23 22:30:16

62Granny

As someone said the West country accents are over done and iI thought the boyfriend was a bit dodgy from the beginning ('wasn't be in Casualty?), I will watch it again just to find out where it is going.

No you're thinking of Lea Mead. I must admit I did a double take!

Joseanne Fri 27-Jan-23 22:31:09

Here

Sparklefizz Sat 28-Jan-23 09:21:20

It's the curly hair wot does it!

Redhead56 Thu 02-Feb-23 09:30:44

I thought it was Lee Mead and had to look twice too. I am finding the plot unrealistic but will stick with it purely because of the quality of the acting.

Shelmiss Thu 02-Feb-23 09:36:50

Gave up after the first episode, although I do like all the actors I just thought it was a storyline I’d seen before, just in another disguise.

Greyduster Thu 02-Feb-23 10:58:46

I didn’t know about this, but now I know that both Jason Watkins and Aneurin Barnard are in it, I will definitely watch it. Aneurin Barnard often seems to play unsavoury characters.

Greyduster Thu 02-Feb-23 15:38:03

Watched the first two episodes. It’s a bit clunky.

Sparklefizz Fri 03-Feb-23 09:32:50

I'm not sure about this after watching episode 2. I agree Greyduster, it's a bit clunky.

Shinamae Fri 03-Feb-23 09:38:36

Didn’t get past the first 20 minutes, not for me

BlueBelle Fri 03-Feb-23 09:39:32

Didn’t enjoy the second episode nearly as much seemed a fair bit far fetched and predictable
Ahh well we lose I think next week is the last one

Calendargirl Fri 03-Feb-23 09:46:37

No, 4 episodes I think.

Doodledog Fri 03-Feb-23 09:51:07

I'm struggling with this. Jason Watkins is one of my favourite actors, so I wanted to like it, but it's falling very flat. I don't care about any of the characters, which makes it difficult to be bothered to watch it. My tiny mind was definitely wandering by half way through the last episode.

Doodledog Fri 03-Feb-23 09:52:25

Mind you, if Joseanne keeps posting pictures of that bonny lad I will stay on this thread grin

Kate1949 Fri 03-Feb-23 10:05:56

Lee Mead no longer has that hair sadly. He has had a hair transplant.