Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

My favourite ever TV show! I’m so thrilled! 🤩

(17 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 27-Jan-23 14:10:15

Yes! I’m honestly over the moon!

Streaming service STV is showing Brookside from the very beginning!!!

The finest soap opera ever 😍

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-64392312.amp

MayBee70 Fri 27-Jan-23 14:15:22

They did a divorce storyline at one point which made me realise how brilliant Brookside was. Had I not been going through a divorce myself at the time I would have thought it completely implausible but it reflected totally what I was going through at the time.

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Jan-23 14:22:42

It was so realistic wasn’t it?

And the story lines progressed in ‘real time’.
I remember when Shiela was raped, and it had repercussions for a couple of years afterwards (her and Bobby splitting up).

There were some over the top story lines (eg the siege; the body under the patio) but they were written in a realistic way.

Jimmy McGovern wrote much of it.

I used to watch the episodes during the week, and then the omnibus on Saturday was a huge treat. Always watched with a big bar of white chocolate.

I honestly can’t wait!

I’ve been banging on to MrC about how marvellous it was for over 20 years.
I’ll have to get some Milky Bars in!

Calendargirl Fri 27-Jan-23 14:46:51

Just be prepared for it not being as good as you remember!

Not saying it won’t be, but often we do think of past programmes wearing our rose coloured specs.

I am watching ‘Howards’ Way’ on catch up on the Drama channel. It’s a nice, nostalgic wallow in 80’s fashions, hairstyles, cars, attitudes!

But a load of enjoyable tosh, which didn’t seem so back in 1985/1986.

HousePlantQueen Fri 27-Jan-23 14:50:51

Oh, I did enjoy Brookside, and it was, for me at least, the first time I saw what have now gone on to become great character actors. People like Sue Johnson, Ricky Tomlinson, Claire Sweeney, and of course Anna Friel. I wonder if I will be busy laughing at distracted at the 80s fashion in clothing and house furnishings?

FannyCornforth Fri 27-Jan-23 15:00:57

Amanda Burton too
Ooh, it’s going to be so much fun!
Yes, it’s the 80s nostalgia too.
I’ve downloaded the STV service, it’s free and available on Sky.

Grandmabatty Fri 27-Jan-23 15:03:31

I spent a day at a Brookside workshop at Glasgow university some years ago. It was fascinating to see behind the scenes. A director and writer led the workshop and we got a chance to be filmed in a scene. I'd forgotten about it til this thread.

FannyCornforth Sun 29-Jan-23 09:19:26

Batty, wow, that sounds brilliant.

It starts this Wednesday, 1st February.
STV will be streaming 10 (10!😃) episodes that week, and then 5 a week the following weeks.
So Wednesday will be Brookside Day for me. 🥳

Elless Sun 29-Jan-23 10:41:20

We live quite near to where it was filmed and often see 'stars' from the TV series shopping or taking kids/grandkids to school etc.

Grandmabatty Sun 29-Jan-23 13:16:52

Fanny it was fabulous. It was a course on teaching media texts so I went with a fellow teacher. Phil Redmond led the workshop and I was a big fan of his anyway. Such fun!!

Alioop Sun 29-Jan-23 14:13:46

Brookside was the soap that shocked you back in the day. The body under the patio, Trevor Jordache so deserved it. I loved it.

FannyCornforth Sun 29-Jan-23 14:16:43

It must have been fab meeting Phil Redmond Batty (he was quite good looking in a floppy hair way too, wasn’t he blush)

Will anyone be watching along with me?

FannyCornforth Sun 29-Jan-23 14:17:40

Alioop

Brookside was the soap that shocked you back in the day. The body under the patio, Trevor Jordache so deserved it. I loved it.

Do you remember the incest story line?
That really was shocking

FannyCornforth Sun 29-Jan-23 14:19:16

Nat and Georgia Simpson

Grandmabatty Sun 29-Jan-23 14:55:02

Fanny he was gorgeous and many of us(me) became giggly and silly to my endless shame

Alioop Sun 29-Jan-23 14:55:29

Yes, that stirred up a heap of trouble, think it had to be axed because they went too far with it. In those the days the same sex kiss was so shocking to see on TV, everyone was talking about it.

FannyCornforth Sun 29-Jan-23 15:12:05

Grandmabatty

Fanny he was gorgeous and many of us(me) became giggly and silly to my endless shame

It’s a good job that I wasn’t there with you.
We would have got thrown out 🤭