Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Terry Wogan

(81 Posts)
Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 16:48:37

I do miss him. I used to laugh all the way as I drove to work every day.
I recently found some old 'Janet and John' stories on YouTube. Blimey! How did he get away with it. He'd never be allowed these days. What's happened to us? Have we all become snowflakes or just too woke or is the BBC trying too hard to be inoffensively bland? I know which I prefer.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 03-Feb-23 16:54:27

Me too Aveline. I loved those stories. We were obviously driving to work at the same time. Years ago my husband lived near him and often chatted to him when he was out gardening - said he was a really nice man. Sad loss - as is the humour we enjoyed. Can’t say anything without offending someone nowadays.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 03-Feb-23 16:57:32

Yes Aveline we won't see his like again. He didn't take himself too seriously, did he? I've got one of those Janet and John Cds which I must fish out sometime and listen to.

crazyH Fri 03-Feb-23 17:03:37

Me too 😥

Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 17:15:40

Janet and John stories were so naughty! Not forgetting old Chuffer Dandridge, Norah Treadwell's 'Tan and Touch up emporium' and where was that 'Swimmerama'? The wonderful radio firework display was always a joy too.

sodapop Fri 03-Feb-23 17:21:57

Terry was a joy wasn't he, so relaxed and funny. My children were brought up listening to him on the radio on the way to school. I loved the Janet & John stories as well. I also enjoyed the banter he used to have with Jimmy Young.

Callistemon21 Fri 03-Feb-23 17:29:13

Yes, I liked Terry too, never took himself seriously.

He had just the right humour and lightness of touch with the Eurovision Song Contest too.

Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 19:34:03

But he'd not be allowed to say the things he used to any more. sad

LadyGracie Fri 03-Feb-23 19:51:57

I loved Terry Wogan I still have his Janet and John recordings too, so funny.
He was first class at everything he did, Come Dancing, Eurovision and all his other TV and radio shows. I first heard him on BFBS radio in Germany. Brilliant man, sadly missed.

Washerwoman Fri 03-Feb-23 19:52:34

I was only thinking the other day driving around how much I miss his wit.The country could do with his warmth and humour at the moment.Too many presenters who think they are funny but really aren't.

Harris27 Fri 03-Feb-23 19:57:37

I was just thinking of him the other day as he was on an old totp shows. Singing the floral dance. I used to drive to work every morning to him he’s left me with lots of lovely memories. I used to drive home to Johnnie walkers drive time too.

NanKate Fri 03-Feb-23 20:29:18

If you want a good laugh Aveline listen to Gloomsbury on Radio 4 I think on a Thursday morning. It’s hilarious and is a spoof on the Bloomsbury Set. Alison Steadman and Miriam Margolyes are brilliant, as are the rest of the cast.

Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 20:40:53

Will check it out NanKate. Thanks.

Calendargirl Fri 03-Feb-23 20:47:57

Thinking of a few of the songs he played and commented on.

‘Without You’ by Nielsen.

‘Sweet Sixteen’ by The Furies with Davy Arthur.

‘I’ve Never Been To Me’ by Charlene.

Urmstongran Fri 03-Feb-23 20:56:49

Also, the brilliance that was Wogan was ... his listeners! They fed him lines and he batted back. There was a great camaraderie between him & his audience. TOGs. Terry’s Old Geezers. He was a joy to listen to. And before his time slot, the very witty woman. Gosh, senior moment, her name escapes me. Sarah something or other I think?

crazyH Fri 03-Feb-23 21:04:03

Urmstogran Was it Sarah Kennedy ?

Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 21:09:40

Yes it was. Not forgetting 'Grievous Bodily Honeyford' of course!

Iam64 Fri 03-Feb-23 21:14:18

I’m another who enjoyed listening to Terry Wogan as I drove to work. He made me laugh out loud. I was pleased to be a TOG and shocking to admit but I enjoyed his section on people who needed a slap. Also his gentle references Tom’ the current Mrs Wogan.

Bbc2 isn’t what it was but then I suspect they want rid of us oldies, it’s working isn’t it.

crazyH Fri 03-Feb-23 21:17:23

And “dulcet tones”

crazyH Fri 03-Feb-23 21:17:32

Tones

Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 21:22:33

We could do with a section on GN on people who need a slap! Obviously, it would be instantly banned and called hate speech.

Iam64 Fri 03-Feb-23 21:23:49

Aveline 😉

crazyH Fri 03-Feb-23 21:26:31

Yes, “ the current Mrs Wogan” 😂

Galaxy Fri 03-Feb-23 21:49:35

For a year I did a job I hated, it was utterly soul destroying but I learnt a lot of lessons about what type of work suits me. Terry Wogan got me to work each day, I can still picture those journeys, he made me smile when I felt awful.

Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 22:09:51

When I was stuck at traffic lights I could look across at the other cars and all the drivers would be laughing too.