Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Alleluia

(25 Posts)
BigBertha1 Thu 30-Mar-23 06:56:13

We went to see this yesterday and found it a very strange film with mixed messages. I would be very interested in your impressions of this. As a retired nurse who spent all her career in the care and management of services for older people I really didn't know what I thought.

FannyCornforth Thu 30-Mar-23 06:59:46

Hi Bertha
Here’s a previous thread
www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1322480-The-film-Allelujah-have-you-seen-it

BigBertha1 Thu 30-Mar-23 10:24:53

sorry I didnt see that

FannyCornforth Thu 30-Mar-23 10:31:00

No need to apologise!
I think that I’ll be giving it a wide berth (no pun intended).
It seems that everyone else had the same mixed feelings as you.
I have to be really careful to avoid any negativity at all.

TerriT Thu 30-Mar-23 23:58:14

Went to see it and had I not been at the end of a row where to leave would have caused disruption, I would have escaped from the misery of watching it! I can go to the local old folks home for a few hours for free to see the same situation. Hard to believe this has been turned into a film that people pay to watch!

FannyCornforth Fri 31-Mar-23 03:49:27

It’s by Alan Bennet too.
I’m glad for the heads up, as at first glance it looks exactly like the sort of thing I’d enjoy

LiverLover Fri 31-Mar-23 08:03:26

Absolutely dire film. Every character was stereotypically drawn and was a waste of some fine actors talent. The "shocker twist" in the plot could be seen from the beginning, you could have a nap half way through, wake up and know exactly what happened to who.

Iam64 Fri 31-Mar-23 11:26:07

I was planning to avoid as like FannyC I need to avoid too much misery at the monent
This thread has convinced me it’s one to miss

Dottydots Fri 31-Mar-23 11:40:57

Oh dear, I have already bought a ticket for when it comes to my small local cinema. I saw the trailer online, it made me laugh and I thought it would be just my cup of tea. My son saw it at his cinema but said he didn't enjoy it. I thought that was because he is younger and wouldn't have much in common with the older cast. I shall still go as I'm a bit tight and don't want to waste my £6 ticket money. Ha ha!

gordonsweesister Sat 01-Apr-23 17:31:44

Just back from seeing this. I hated every minute of it. Perhaps young people would view it differently. Strongly do not recommend.

Foxygloves Sat 01-Apr-23 18:05:52

I have just got back from this and found it uplifting , tender, beautifully written and acted, - Jennifer Saunders in particular is outstanding - perceptive (typically Alan Bennett) and deeply moving.
And unlike others - no, I did not see that coming .
A thought provoking film on so many levels.

Patsy70 Sat 01-Apr-23 18:08:38

There has already been a thread on this, under Chat entitled: ‘Allelujah, the folm. Have you seen it?’
I recommend that you read the comments.
Unless you want to be totally depressed, I would avoid seeing it at all costs.

Foxygloves Sat 01-Apr-23 20:27:07

I beg to differ.
Yes, I shed a tear, but it had many layers not least the NHS as we fondly imagine it was, the NHS in the pandemic, old age and infirmity, and assisted dying among others.
Plus some typically perceptive Alan Bennett humour - he doesn’t pull his punches! .
It was a highly successful stage production at The Bridge in 2018 and I do not think it should be written off as depressing or “dire”. It may not be unrelated to how you/we feel about ageing- do we fear it or can we embrace it?
Food for thought.

FannyCornforth Sun 02-Apr-23 02:17:58

Patsy70

There has already been a thread on this, under Chat entitled: ‘Allelujah, the folm. Have you seen it?’
I recommend that you read the comments.
Unless you want to be totally depressed, I would avoid seeing it at all costs.

I posted in a link to it in the first reply

BigBertha1 Sun 02-Apr-23 07:32:11

And I apologised

Foxygloves Sun 02-Apr-23 07:34:36

It’s not the first time there have been duplicate (or even multiple) threads

and it wont be the last hmmhmm

LiverLover Sun 02-Apr-23 10:10:35

And does it really even matter? confused

Foxygloves Sun 02-Apr-23 10:18:51

Certainly nothing anybody need apologise for unless the thread police are on the warpath.

FannyCornforth Sun 02-Apr-23 12:24:43

Hang on, I can’t see any ‘policing’.
I wasn’t rude, and neither was Patsy.
I posted a helpful link, and Patsy’s only error (if I’m allowed to say that wink) was not reading the thread prior to commenting

SquirrelSue Sun 02-Apr-23 14:32:33

I saw 'Alleluia' at the theatre in London in 2018 and really enjoyed it. Alan Bennett is my favourite author. Unfortunately I was very disappointed with the film. Characters stereotyped, some scenes from the play were not in the film. Why did they have to change such a well written play into a dire film?

V3ra Mon 03-Apr-23 00:35:01

Foxygloves

I have just got back from this and found it uplifting , tender, beautifully written and acted, - Jennifer Saunders in particular is outstanding - perceptive (typically Alan Bennett) and deeply moving.
And unlike others - no, I did not see that coming .
A thought provoking film on so many levels.

We've been today and both agree with your summary Foxygloves. We didn't see the ending coming either.

We took my Dad (92) with us and he enjoyed it as well, though he missed the significance of the ending...

There was lots of laughter in the audience during the first half of the film 🙂

BlueBelle Mon 03-Apr-23 06:12:44

Fanny 🤷🏼🤷🏼🤷🏼
Just shows people don’t read previous posts
Yes I think it matters to have two identical threads because you can miss important things in one, but not the other and it’s surely better to have everything under one roof
Not your fault Bigbertha easily done
Not your fault Fanny or Patsy you were both polite

As a précis to both threads it appears 2 people liked the film
dozens hated it

Foxygloves Mon 03-Apr-23 06:44:22

As a précis to both threads it appears 2 people liked the film
dozens hated it

Ah well, V3ra and I will have to remain in a minority of 2 then. Heaven forfend we should disagree with dozens
(Last time I dip my toe in that water methinks ?)

But as I believe I said, it’s not the first time there have been duplicate threads and I doubt it will be the last so maybe not so quick to shout down another time?

BlueBelle Mon 03-Apr-23 07:01:17

No one has been shouted down Foxy it was politely pointed out and of course it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things
Last time I dip my toe in that water methinks ?)
If you are going to stop posting because of these very minor and unimportant few polite posts ….that’s strange (don’t ever go on any robust threads) 😂

Of course the whole point of life is that we each experience things in our own way and it is good to hear both sides of the story the fact only two people spoke up for the film was simply a fact not decrying the ‘likers ’ or the ‘haters’ simply a fact

Foxygloves Mon 03-Apr-23 07:18:36

On your excellent advice, I have indeed looked at the other thread and see that OP Millymouge, Witzend ‘s brother, Madgran, Bridie and others seemed to think it did have something going for it, even liked it.
Others said it led to an interesting discussion on the way home, giving food for thought. Isn’t that what player books or films are about?
Others still have not seen it as far as I have read but actively discouraged against it.
IMO fortunately 2 people liked the film, dozens hated it did not put me off and I would never try to put others off from going to something I had not seen myself.