Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone started Maryland ?

(151 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 23-May-23 07:32:45

I enjoyed it last night and thought it is very promising some good actors in it Suran jones who never fails and Hugh Quashie (Rick Griffin out of holby ) Eva Best held my attention anyway and I didn’t nod off as I often do

Allsorts Tue 23-May-23 07:37:02

Yes I looked, despite not being keen on Suranne since Gentleman Jack. I enjoyed it I must say and looking forward to the other episodes.

BlueBelle Tue 23-May-23 07:45:52

Lots of twists and turns I think it’s going to be good
No I didn’t watch gentleman jack didn’t fancy it from the bits I did see but really like Suranne Jones in most things

Clawdy Tue 23-May-23 07:50:18

A bit slow moving, but very watchable, I like the tense, edgy relationship between the sisters.

merlotgran Tue 23-May-23 08:01:24

I enjoyed it. I do like plenty of twists and turns. Looking forward to the second one tonight.

Kim19 Tue 23-May-23 08:23:24

Yes, I found it enjoyable and promising. Thought Suranne looked unusually slim and somewhat unwell irrespective of plot. However that may be clever camera work and make up. Really like her performances and I too swerved GJ.

ginny Tue 23-May-23 08:26:11

Yes, I enjoyed it and look forward to tonight’s episode.

Sparklefizz Tue 23-May-23 08:35:09

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Junglebub Tue 23-May-23 08:37:49

Found it predictable - so obvious what the mother (with Stockard Channing character) was into!

sodapop Tue 23-May-23 08:41:12

I enjoyed the first episode as well, interesting story line. Like Kim19 I thought Suranne Jones looked thin and unwell.

GrandmaSeaDragon Tue 23-May-23 09:05:04

Yes, I enjoyed too and like BelleBelle didn’t drop off! Didn’t realise it is on for consecutive nights, at least I’ll remember the plot lines in between!

Aldom Tue 23-May-23 09:54:52

Thank you for the reminder as I missed the programme last night. I'll try to catch up later today.
I thoroughly enjoyed Gentleman Jack, which is based on fact. I have extended family in and around Halifax. They are familiar with the areas /houses featured and with the life story of GJ.

TerriBull Tue 23-May-23 10:10:49

Very good start, lots of intrigue, Isle of Man looks interesting. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-May-23 10:31:27

I thought that Suranne Jones looked older but it may have been the severe hairstyle.

I enjoyed it and stayed awake for the entire hour. I also have half a chance of remembering what I saw last night.

It is different from the usual rubbish we are shown. It was filmed in daylight and I was not trying to fathom out what was going on in dark and gloomy houses.

LRavenscroft Tue 23-May-23 11:12:10

Really enjoyed the production but don't like that American lady who seems to be untrustworthy. What is she up to?

maddyone Tue 23-May-23 11:19:13

Yes, I’m watching.

ElaineI Tue 23-May-23 11:31:35

I enjoyed it. Left me wondering about her husband though. No doubt will be revealed. At least I could hear the speech without turning volume up high. I've never been to the Isle of Man. Looks nice though.

PinkCosmos Tue 23-May-23 11:36:58

After watching the first episode on ITV I binge watched the remaining two episodes on ITVX.

I enjoyed it but felt like I was suspending belief re. the fact that the mother spent so much time in the Isle of Man and none of her family realised.

Clawdy Tue 23-May-23 12:46:20

Strangely, none of it is filmed in the Isle of Man! Filmed in Ireland instead. Wonder why they bothered setting it there, quite a few Manx people are cross about it, because they were looking forward to seeing the places they know.

Sparklefizz Tue 23-May-23 15:29:29

Ireland offers special financial incentives for filming there apparently. That drama set in Cornwall recently was actually filmed in Ireland.

Sparklefizz Tue 23-May-23 17:05:20

Well, I have binge watched all of Maryland and loved it.

It was an interesting storyline .... no child really knows their parents ...I was close to my Mum yet, for a start, I learnt a huge amount about her from her friends who came to her funeral (all nice things).

I learnt a lot about my Dad after he died who, it turned out, had a secret other life which was a shock.

Our adult children don't know everything about us, not because we're keeping secrets but just because .....

I thought this drama handled all the emotions very well. Suranne is an excellent actor.

Primrose53 Tue 23-May-23 17:37:10

I watched it last night. Struggling to imagine she had been visiting IOM for years and nobody knew.

So the American drug dealer woman knows more about her but isn’t saying just yet. No idea who that actress is but she looks like she has had more than her fair share of botox.

I also thought the fair haired sister looked old enough to be Suranne’s character’s mother.

BlueBelle Tue 23-May-23 18:58:19

I also thought the love /hate relationship was very believable and very well acted

BlueBelle Tue 23-May-23 18:58:40

Sorry
between the sisters

Sparklefizz Tue 23-May-23 19:09:48

No idea who that actress is but she looks like she has had more than her fair share of botox.

She's Stockard Channing who played one of the teenagers in "Grease".