Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Sewing Bee

(66 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 25-May-23 12:09:05

New series started last night. Looking good.

Ilovecheese Thu 25-May-23 12:25:43

Loved the cross over top. The right decision about who left I think.

Wyllow3 Thu 25-May-23 18:00:47

I ended up nearly needing a hankie at all the hugs.. But it was the obvious choice.

They got the winning dress right too - cut wise it was perfect, tho I thought the fabric pattern - (actually quite a lot of the fabric patterns) a bit uninspiring.

I like them as a group, I think they already have bonded - look how much they helped each other on the twist on the very first challenge.

The winning blouse on the first challenge was actually my favourite garment of the week - silky and so very pretty and the flowers matched.

Too early to "guess who" but clearly Asmaa has to be on the list - and Tony W should last some time despite the "plunge". He handled the stretch fabric very well.

btw, to know who is who go here

www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/great-british-sewing-bee-2023-contestants/

Callistemon21 Thu 25-May-23 18:04:05

The winning blouse on the first challenge was actually my favourite garment of the week - silky and so very pretty and the flowers matched

Yes, I thought so too.

And wearable!

Joane123 Thu 25-May-23 22:32:10

Love the programme and thought the garment of the week was lovely. The young man, I hope, will do well.

Callistemon21 Thu 25-May-23 22:33:14

The dress was lovely too.

But the blouse was perfect.

NotAGran55 Fri 26-May-23 08:46:55

Am I alone in not liking the transformation challenge?
Taking a perfectly good item and destroying it.
Can you tell me that any of the transformations are truly wearable? Hopefully they are sent to a textile recycling facility.

Other than that I ❤️ the show and there’s some great contestants this time.

Sparklefizz Fri 26-May-23 09:22:51

There are some excellent sewers showing up already, particularly Asmaa and Tony W.

I didn't agree with the judges' opinion of the transformation that kept half of a shirt and the other half consisted of bondage straps, but as Esme was very keen on punk back in the day, I suppose that explains it.

I have to agree that the transformation segment is often dire but it does show creativity. If I was presented with a deckchair and asked to make something wearable, it would take me hours just to come up with an idea, let alone actually make it.

But I enjoy each series (except for Sara P) and there are some nice contestants. I think the right one left the show.

Callistemon21 Fri 26-May-23 11:42:20

NotAGran55

Am I alone in not liking the transformation challenge?
Taking a perfectly good item and destroying it.
Can you tell me that any of the transformations are truly wearable? Hopefully they are sent to a textile recycling facility.

Other than that I ❤️ the show and there’s some great contestants this time.

No, they're not wearable!!

Ilovedragonflies Mon 29-May-23 11:23:51

I'm willing Tony W to win - I used to work with him and he is the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet, and naturally talented too!

lizzypopbottle Mon 29-May-23 13:18:17

NotAGran55 You are certainly not alone in disliking the so called transformation challenge. The various GBSB Facebook groups always have loads of posts decrying the utter waste of decent, wearable, charity shop garments. The first episode in the new series seems to have set the tone for the most outrageously wasteful and unwearable, hacked to bits, winning offering. I think it's Esme Young's decision. Patrick Grant strikes me as way too conventional to make such choices. I always look forward to the series but that part makes me so mad! Perhaps that's what's considered good TV 😠

Bijou Mon 29-May-23 13:25:56

Three hours to make the blouse! When I was making my own clothes I could have made two in that amount of time.

sunfield91 Mon 29-May-23 14:01:09

Why do the producers of these type of programmes always pick stand up comedians to front these contest type of shows, I find them dire, or do people like them ?

Duvetdiva Mon 29-May-23 15:06:47

I’m quite happy with Sarah P and have enjoyed each presenter although none of them could match Claudia W for me. Love the program and this year’s contestants I like to sew but could never do it within a timescale

Callistemon21 Mon 29-May-23 15:14:25

Bijou

Three hours to make the blouse! When I was making my own clothes I could have made two in that amount of time.

I must be slow! 😁

HannahLoisLuke Mon 29-May-23 17:06:02

I agree about the transformation section. Rubbish transformed into rubbish. Total waste of time.
Also agree aboutSarah Pascoe. They’ve never really managed to get the right presenter yet.

Sparklefizz Mon 29-May-23 17:31:41

I have liked Claudia Winkleman best of all the presenters.

lizzypopbottle Mon 29-May-23 17:43:24

If they must have comedians as presenters, I really liked Joe Lycett.

Gin Mon 29-May-23 18:00:05

I wonder why all these contests require a comedian to front them? Bake Off, Pottery Throw Down, they are all pointless additions in my opinion.
We all have our likes and dislikes and for me Claudia is a turn off, never can watch her. I pre-record ‘Strictly’ so I can fast forward through her bits!
I love Esme, so down to earth and practical but with a dash of eccentricity.

Casdon Mon 29-May-23 18:08:30

It’s personal taste. I really liked Claudia on Sewing Bee, she’s funny and self deprecating, and she is very good at relaxing people when they are stressed. I liked Joe too, but not so keen on Sarah.
I do think the programme gets better when you get to know the contestants more though, I always find week 1 a bit OTT.

BlueBelle Mon 29-May-23 22:42:12

I can’t find it on bbc catch up they re only showing last years ?
Anybody find it ?

Waterloosunset Mon 29-May-23 22:54:31

Yes BB, I can see it on iPlayer …series 9. Hope you find it 🤞

BlueBelle Mon 29-May-23 23:45:55

Well it didn’t show up on my iPlayer at all but I googled it and went to that link so found it how strange all I could get was last years one on my IPlayer 😳🤷🏼

M0nica Tue 30-May-23 15:36:30

I loathed Claudia, I dislike Sara Pasco, and thought Jo Lycett was excellent.

I thought the transformation task this time was a con. Office uniforms almost always feature the relevant companies logo or other distinctive feature as part of the pattern of the fabric - and no company would want to risk seeing their logo being misused or featured on a garment that they did not approve of or in a way which they considered would damage their brand.

I also think all transformations should be wearable garments that someone would be prepared to be seen in public in.

Wyllow3 Thu 01-Jun-23 10:54:57

The swim costume was a tough challenge, and so was the rucksack.

When I saw the rucksack pattern I thought, oh my, getting those straps right!

I liked Asmaa's costume best style wise maybe with brighter colours? But it was elegant and fitted beautifully and finished well.

I wasn't surprised it was Gillie who went, tho there were a couple of other "wobblies". Yes, was confidence, time pressures, but also she didn't always listen to advice.

And I applaud the variety of models too.