Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Phillip schofield

(936 Posts)
nellenoxin Sat 27-May-23 18:11:44

Am I being a bit slow but why is Phillip Schofield being thrown under the bus now? He came out about his sexuality , now revelations about an affair with consensual teenager that he covered up to protect identity , Maybe I'm being naïve but not sure why there has been such a big disconnect from TV at this point .

Theexwife Sat 27-May-23 18:14:21

I think he is being accused of grooming and lying about the relationship to everyone including his wife.

Shelflife Sat 27-May-23 18:27:47

A difficult situation, I agree. However, he lied to his wife - unforgivable, yes. However ..............that was between him and his wife - not a sackable offence!!? As for his relationship with a teenager, certainly a very bad decision. Grooming - possible but I am not sure how old the young man was ? Do hope he is not being tarred with the same brush as his brother!?.
I can't make my mind up about all this, don't know the full story so I should not judge.

Spinnaker Sat 27-May-23 18:44:28

Apparently the grooming with said young man started when he was a ten year old child. I do think there's a lot to come out (pardon the pun) on Schofield and that's why all the media bods are now scrambling to get their stories straight - including Holly Willoughby. They will all stand accused of being complicit in yet another unsavoury scandal.

Rosie51 Sat 27-May-23 18:49:03

news.sky.com/story/phillip-schofield-admits-affair-with-much-younger-man-and-steps-down-from-itv-role-12890246

Shelflife it appears he has admitted lying to a lot more people, not only his wife.

Georgesgran Sat 27-May-23 18:51:28

I don’t think Holly Willoughby is doing herself any favours either. Obviously the sweet, likable Holly has an alter ego with a sharper side
Perhaps time for a complete change? I haven’t watched TM for years, but if others have - do you think it’s run out of steam and should be scrapped?

BlueBelle Sat 27-May-23 18:55:09

Spinnaker where did you get that information from none of the reports have mentioned anything underage ??? Do send a link !

HousePlantQueen Sat 27-May-23 18:55:38

Perhaps it is because he is a liar? He lied to his family, agent, lawyer.....

He is a talentless man whose run of luck has run out, his own fault.

Iam64 Sat 27-May-23 18:58:04

Spinnaker has it - there’s more to emerge

Blondiescot Sat 27-May-23 19:01:25

BlueBelle

Spinnaker where did you get that information from none of the reports have mentioned anything underage ??? Do send a link !

Quite a few of the things I've read have inferred the same. Sorry, don't have the links though.

Spinnaker Sat 27-May-23 19:04:04

Sorry don't have the links but suffice to say my information has come from a very reliable source, which I'm not at liberty to divulge. I think it's going to be a case of watch this space now.

BlueBelle Sat 27-May-23 19:05:30

When did ‘inferred’ become facts
Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t but surely on here we can’t say that until it’s fully known otherwise it’s just rumour
I m not defending the bloke take him or leave him but surely we do need facts not maybes

Blondiescot Sat 27-May-23 19:19:18

BlueBelle

When did ‘inferred’ become facts
Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t but surely on here we can’t say that until it’s fully known otherwise it’s just rumour
I m not defending the bloke take him or leave him but surely we do need facts not maybes

I didn't say anything about it being a 'fact', but it's being fairly widely discussed on other social media sites if you care to go looking.

NanaDana Sat 27-May-23 19:20:24

We actually know very little about the background to his "resignation" from ITV. Lots of inferences and speculation.. which is what sells newspapers.. but no indication as yet that he's actually broken any laws. Yes, he's admitted to lying to his wife and to "others" about his relationship with a younger man, but on the face of it, that doesn't necessarily appear to be an open and shut case for resignation. Perhaps much more will come out "in the wash". I'll wait and see before commenting further..

Louella12 Sat 27-May-23 19:22:00

I used to like TM with Richard and Judy. Phil was great with Fern as well but they had a fall out. Can't stand it with Holly, Not seen it for years.

However, it's widely reported that Phil became this young man's mentor and introduced him on to the show in 2014 when the young chap was 18.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/hyde-actor-meets-morning-phillip-7506214

I don't think that there are many maybes in this saga. it's obvious that this is quite a problem and the powers that be on ITV are due to be questioned about alleged cover ups.

Dan Wooton had the story and reported it to ITV in 2019 but they deemed it to be malicious gossip.

Of course this is in The Mail so might be taken with a pinch of salt.

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-12131515/DAN-WOOTTON-told-ITV-Schofields-affair-2019-followed-looks-like-cover-up.html#comments

BlueBelle Sat 27-May-23 19:23:19

No thanks Blondiscot I don’t get my news on social media which is full of gossip and inaccuracies
Like NanaDana I ll wait and see what facts come out

Iam64 Sat 27-May-23 19:27:13

It’s said they met at a drama schoolwhen the man who became Schofield’s young partner, was ten years old. The suggestion is of grooming.

TerriBull Sat 27-May-23 19:32:25

Oh God enough of the Schofield thing already! Did read something about him and a runner on the show quite a while back. Just reminds me of when the Weinstein debacle broke everyone had known he was dodgy for ages, then all those who'd been rubbing shoulders with because he was hugely influential, acted dead surprised, they knew hmm

Shelflife Sat 27-May-23 19:33:43

Possibly a great deal more to be revealed. However I reserve judgement until I know the facts.

Spinnaker Sat 27-May-23 19:33:43

Surely when there's such a high profile public resignation such as this, people ask themselves why ? In my book if you are 100% without blame then you don't step away from (in this case) a very lucrative career. I would be kicking and screaming my innocence at the very least !! It definitely smacks of going before being pushed - then running away to hide.

MayBee70 Sat 27-May-23 19:35:15

I find it terribly upsetting because he was such a part of my kids tv watching when they were growing up. We loved Saturday morning tv and still have a Gordon the Gopher somewhere. I do think what he has done was wrong but, when I was thinking about it today it occurred to me that, had his television career started a decade or so later he wouldn’t have had to suppress his homosexuality. I still can’t get over Rolf Harris being so evil either. I was angry about the outrage over Phil and Holly not queuing to see the Queen because if they had a daytime tv programme to do I don’t see how they could have queued up all night. It was as if, even back then someone was conspiring against Schofield. Either way his career is over and any memory of him is now tarnished. I hope the young man involved isn’t damaged. It’s all very sad.

henetha Sat 27-May-23 19:43:34

Lots of mud being thrown at Philip now. But we don't really know the facts so maybe should be careful.
I liked him a lot when he was younger, but never watch This Morning so don't know him now really.

fancythat Sat 27-May-23 19:50:34

According to Dan Wootton, the younger person is 34 years younger that Phillip Schofield.
They met when the younger man was a young teenager[doesnt mean anything happened at that particular point].

nybreaking.com/dan-wootton-i-told-itv-about-schofields-affair-in-2019-what-followed-looks-like-a-cover-up/

Allsorts Sat 27-May-23 20:24:24

I never watched Holly and Phil, they just got on my nerves. However, I do not think hounding anyone about their private life is fair. Dragging things up from years ago is none of our business, it between him and his wife, she must be so hurt. As for Holly, she has done just what I would have expected of her, all that fake “love you forever business” . I do not like trial by media it’s cruel. Whatever he did or didn’t do he is paying for it and so is his family, they need to sort things out.

Gillycats Sat 27-May-23 21:07:15

He’s been thrown under the bus. Holly by all accounts isn’t very well liked by people who have to work with her, so why not start afresh with new presenters. Or a new show.