Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Little Mermiad

(10 Posts)
Joseann Mon 29-May-23 17:59:39

I've just had my dose of Disney and make believe for the week watching The Little Mermaid at the cinema. A brilliant live-action remake with the original songs, plus a few extras. Quite a long film for little ones.
Anyway, although the casting was very good, I'm sure Disney was making fun of the RF and M & H. Halle Bailey was unmistakably Meghan and when the Prince asked her her name he said, "Diana? Catherine? - No you're definitely not Catherine" it all felt a bit contrived. None of that was in the original. Then as the loving couple sailed of into the distant blue at the end, the King of the seas, the father, (Prince Charles?), popped up to say, "I will always be here for you, we all will."
Argh! I think I'm reading too much into this, but a good couple of hours' entertainment with DGC.

Ilovecheese Mon 29-May-23 19:30:55

The original "proper" story does not have a happy ending and has always, in my opinion, been a story of a protagonist that no self respecting girl should want to emulate.
As for any stuff about our royal family, no idea.

Ilovecheese Mon 29-May-23 19:34:46

Sorry, I think I have been a bit harsh there, I've just always hated that story, I expect Disney has improved it, and it probably has jolly good songs.

Hithere Mon 29-May-23 19:38:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Callistemon21 Mon 29-May-23 19:49:56

Isn't Disney American Hithere 🤔
I thought so, anyway

Glass houses and stones come to mind too.

Hithere Mon 29-May-23 20:17:33

No, it is a US product

America is a continent

Callistemon21 Mon 29-May-23 20:22:00

[sigh]

Whatever.
It doesn't make your post any less rude though.

AmberSpyglass Mon 29-May-23 21:04:50

I prefer the message the original story gave. If you can’t make a man fall in love with you, just turn into seawater and give up.

Joseann Mon 29-May-23 21:36:26

The new ending is bitter-sweet because Ariel, leaving behind her merfamily for a new life, can never return to the way things were. She chooses happiness but despite everyone supporting her, it comes at a cost.

Callistemon21 Mon 29-May-23 22:33:17

AmberSpyglass

I prefer the message the original story gave. If you can’t make a man fall in love with you, just turn into seawater and give up.

Mermaids do live for much longer than humans, though.

The Little Mermaid didn't have a name at first, did she?
Not a Diana or Catherine at all. Nor Ariel.

I remember going into a Disney store years ago and being told by the very helpful, earnest assistant that Snow White was the oldest Princess, dating from the 1930s 😁 I don't think the assistant had a clue that Disney didn't invent all the characters way before they adopted them.
I said "I think Snow White's a bit older than that"