Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Royal Family 1969 documentary

(24 Posts)
Starrynight49 Mon 05-Jun-23 10:26:05

I just found the famous Royal Family documentary, made in 1969 , on You Tube. If you remember, it was made by the Royals in order to show people what their lives were like. It was a massive hit on television ! Then it was pulled and never seen again. It is now available to watch again - here is the link. Makes you realise how hard HM The Queen worked. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez4TBvCkRxo&t=196s

FannyCornforth Mon 05-Jun-23 10:31:29

Thank you!
I think that it was Philip who objected to it, as it made the family look boring.
I think that he was probably wise in that a bit of mystique is what is required.
I’ve only watched the first couple of minutes - but it’s very odd to see HM doing a little local shop!

FannyCornforth Tue 06-Jun-23 04:01:49

Looks like it’s just you and me who are interested Starrynight! smile

NotAGran55 Tue 06-Jun-23 06:39:23

Thank you for posting this, I remember watching it at the time.
I’ve just watched the first few minutes and must get my pearls and brooch ready for our family BBQ next week!
Looking forward to watching the rest of it.

GrandmaSeaDragon Tue 06-Jun-23 07:09:31

How interesting! I don’t recall this at all, but being 19 at the time, I didn’t watch much television, except the “pop” shows! I’ll watch it in full later on, thank you for posting Starrynight49

Dottynan Tue 06-Jun-23 07:15:31

Thanks for the link. Fascinating glimpse in the Queen's life.

FannyCornforth Tue 06-Jun-23 07:33:23

I’m glad that I bumped this thread this morning, it definitely deserves to be seen.
Thanks again Starrynight

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 06-Jun-23 07:43:54

I remember watching this all those years ago. I don’t think I was impressed. It looked a very tedious life. I’m surprised it is on YouTube as I thought the Royals wanted it hidden away for ever.

Hellogirl1 Tue 06-Jun-23 12:38:38

I remember watching it at the time, thank you for the link, am going to watch it again later.

JRTW2 Thu 08-Jun-23 11:09:31

Thank you

henetha Thu 08-Jun-23 11:12:37

I remember seeing this and enjoying it. Lovely to see it again.

Minerva Thu 08-Jun-23 11:25:04

I was pleased to see it as I wanted to show my grandson the bagpipe player who roused the Balmoral royals each morning.
I suggested some time back to my 9 year old grandson that he could play his violin practice piece outside my room each morning to be my alarm clock and told him about the bagpipe player. Now I can show him what I was talking about.

Vintagegirl Thu 08-Jun-23 11:28:49

Thks for that. I remember the tuppaware boxes with breakfast cereal in them....

JdotJ Thu 08-Jun-23 11:42:25

How lovely to watch this again

Irismarle Thu 08-Jun-23 11:55:33

I found this also on YouTube a few months ago and really enjoyed watching it again. I remembered seeing it when I was young and us all enjoying it then, and I honestly couldn’t understand why they had pulled it. I loved seeing how glamorous Princess Margaret and the Duchess of Kent were then, and the royal children were all very cute. However, I think the key may be in one short scene where the Queen laughs at an ambassador from an African country when her equerry says he’s like a gorilla. I can see that is unacceptable now, (and was then, to be honest) but why don’t they just cut that little bit? The rest is lovely, I think, and it’s now a real period piece.

Musicgirl Thu 08-Jun-23 14:00:38

We watched it last night. It was lovely and there was real affection between the different members of the family, especially Charles and Edward.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 08-Jun-23 14:52:09

I remember watching it. Two things stuck in my mind. The Duke and Princess Anne in charge of the BBQ and the Queen saying “the seleds ready” pronounced like that. The other clip was Prince Charles showing a young Andrew or Edward his cello and a string broke and pinged the child in the face.

pinkprincess Thu 08-Jun-23 20:52:55

I remember watching this at my sister-in -laws house. I was pregnant with my first DC at the time.
Happy memories.

hollysteers Thu 08-Jun-23 21:45:29

Isn’t this still the cut, censored version?

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Jun-23 22:38:42

Vintagegirl

Thks for that. I remember the tuppaware boxes with breakfast cereal in them....

I remember the Tupperware boxes too!

lemsip Fri 09-Jun-23 00:24:01

go on you tube and search The Queen off duty. lots of these to see.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 09-Jun-23 13:14:12

I only remembered the beginning, perhaps it was shown as a trailer in Scotland?

I don't agree that it makes the Royal Family look boring, but I suspect that if the original idea wasn't Prince Phillip's he would have objected on principle to the finished product - or if it turned out otherwise than he had wanted.

Pity they didn't continue making documentaries of this kind.
Doing so might have meant that more people realise how hard a royal family actually works.

Grany Sun 18-Jun-23 00:32:22

It was pulled by the Queen not to be shown again. It shows they are just ordinary people, not doing much if any work. She was asking for a dress to be made to match jewellery I think. Said someone looked like a gorilla, quite a laugh.
Queen lobbied made sure to be exempted from anti descrimination racism laws, still in place today. There are loads of laws they are exempted from that benefit them. Abolish the monarchy

Lathyrus Sun 18-Jun-23 10:29:08

Irismarle

I found this also on YouTube a few months ago and really enjoyed watching it again. I remembered seeing it when I was young and us all enjoying it then, and I honestly couldn’t understand why they had pulled it. I loved seeing how glamorous Princess Margaret and the Duchess of Kent were then, and the royal children were all very cute. However, I think the key may be in one short scene where the Queen laughs at an ambassador from an African country when her equerry says he’s like a gorilla. I can see that is unacceptable now, (and was then, to be honest) but why don’t they just cut that little bit? The rest is lovely, I think, and it’s now a real period piece.

The gorilla remark was made about the US Ambassador Walter Annenburg, who was neither from Africa nor black. But did have a short body and very long arms.

He said he was not offended.

Any inclination of racism, is I’m afraid, I’m the minds of those who saw the word gorilla and made assumptions of their own.