Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Springwatch

(28 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Franbern Wed 07-Jun-23 08:41:03

Who else is watching this? It is, as Chris so often states, a reason in itself for the BBC Licence fee!!!

I really enjoy watching this, love all the nests and virtually everything else (although do not watch anything involving spiders!!!).

Even the predation, sad though it may seem to us, is the normal part and cycle of life. Do think the film of the cuckoo fledgling is amazing. How can those tiny birds not realise that great big thing in their nest is an intruder???

FannyCornforth Wed 07-Jun-23 08:44:27

FB this confused me, it being under ‘Estrangement’
I thought your post title was going to be a cryptic reference to something!

FannyCornforth Wed 07-Jun-23 08:45:48

I absolutely love birds, bit cuckoos absolutely give me the creeps.
They deserve to be estranged from their unwitting family!

Franbern Wed 07-Jun-23 09:07:24

Sorry, not sure how this ended up under Estrangements. I thought I had posted it under tv, etc....... Perhaps it could be moved to proper place. or else I will just re-do it in there.

toscalily Wed 07-Jun-23 09:09:23

Franbern, ask GNHQ to move or delete, bit out of place here smile

tickingbird Wed 07-Jun-23 09:09:41

Love Springwatch

Smileless2012 Wed 07-Jun-23 11:15:19

You can report your OP to GNHQ Franbern and ask them to move it to the appropriate thread.

LadyGracie Wed 07-Jun-23 12:26:55

I can't stand Chris Packham, but I'll watch if Iolo is on, unfortunately he's been ill so isn't appearing in this series.

FannyCornforth Wed 07-Jun-23 13:10:10

Oh, I like Chris Packham, he’s so passionate.
He sometimes comes across as a bit off because he is on the Autism spectrum.

I unwisely searched for a cuckoo chick photo.
It makes me so uneasy and sad.

(I’ve asked HQ to move the thread to TV smile)

KellyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 07-Jun-23 13:15:35

Franbern

Sorry, not sure how this ended up under Estrangements. I thought I had posted it under tv, etc....... Perhaps it could be moved to proper place. or else I will just re-do it in there.

We've sorted this for you smile

MiniMoon Wed 07-Jun-23 13:34:11

I'm enjoying seeing the ospreys of Poole Harbour. I discovered the ospreys at Loch Arkaig in the summer of 2020 during lockdown when we couldn't go anywhere. Since then I've been hooked.

FannyCornforth Wed 07-Jun-23 14:38:56

Thanks Kellysmile

Tizliz Wed 07-Jun-23 14:44:43

Did you know that Cuckoos can lay up to 22 eggs. Looked it up late last night when the little b******s wouldn’t shut up!

3nanny6 Thu 08-Jun-23 15:18:11

I have got my own bit of Springwatch going on at the moment.

I have got a doves nest in rear garden in low down shruberry
bush. It is quite bushy which is why the two babies are still surviving there. Mother goes off throughout the day but is still coming back to feed the babies. They are growing so will not be long before they try to fly. I am like a mother hen keeping watch on them although I only get close enough so I
make sure the babies are still in nest.

Front garden is close to someones rear garden so they hardly come up to end of their garden. Every night three baby foxes come out to play they wriggle under the fence and roll about on the grass in my garden, they play for awhile until mummy fox comes looking for them and gets them back to the den.
Not sure what to do about them as their are lots of foxes around here so those three babies will be even more.

henetha Thu 08-Jun-23 18:57:59

Springwatch is wonderful, bringing nature to our screens. A breath of fresh air, literally. All the presenters are good, especially Chris Packham.

Washerwoman Thu 08-Jun-23 20:43:33

I'm missing Iolo.He's my favourite. I like Gillian but she does have a tendency to stumble over her words.And last night she said the Llyn peninsula was on the North sea!However presenting live can't be easy.Megan is very accomplished for the youngest presenter.

Jaxjacky Thu 08-Jun-23 21:31:12

Megan is Chris Packham’s step daughter Washerwoman,
I’m another who doesn’t care for him.
We’ve been entertained by lots of baby sparrows in the back garden, very noisy, but so good to see them.

Harris27 Thu 08-Jun-23 21:39:02

I just love it.

Redhead56 Thu 08-Jun-23 21:39:28

I have always watched Springwatch I too miss Iolo hope he is on the mend. Megan is very enthusiastic and interestingly full of information. It’s a pleasure to watch compared to soap operas and quiz shows.

MayBee70 Thu 08-Jun-23 21:55:03

I’d forgotten that it was on. It will be my catchup to have on throughout the night now!

Joane123 Thu 08-Jun-23 22:05:42

Watched it tonight, most enjoyable especially all the info about the cuckoos. We do hear them around here, mostly though it is owls.

Elegran Thu 08-Jun-23 22:24:05

3nanny6 Apparently only one in four fox cubs survive to be adults, so the chances are that the three that come to play in your garden won't be adding their own families to the ones in your area.

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Jun-23 23:06:53

I have got my own bit of Springwatch going on at the moment.

About 30 starlings descended on our lawn this evening - we were hoping to see a mini-murmuration but no such luck.
They saw off our blackbird which usually serenades us in the evening, but he did go off to find some ants or some other tasty morsel in a border.

We haven't heard a cuckoo here for a few years, nor the owl yet this year. There are houses where they used to nest.

Springwatch is a bit red in tooth and claw this time - so many chicks are being predated, is there a lack of mice?
One presenter did say there's a lack of insects around for food this year ☹

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Jun-23 23:10:51

henetha

Springwatch is wonderful, bringing nature to our screens. A breath of fresh air, literally. All the presenters are good, especially Chris Packham.

I like Chris Packham and the interaction between him and Michaela; it seems a more friendly, relaxed relationship than with the other presenters who were on with him, Kate Humble and Martin Hughes-Games, although I liked Martin too.

henetha Thu 08-Jun-23 23:26:50

I agree Callistemon21. They have known each other a long time, as they mentioned tonight, and are very easy going together, like old friends.