Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

TV recommendations for blind (not as mad as it seems!)

(10 Posts)
Juicywords Wed 29-Nov-23 17:23:11

I’m due to have eye surgery shortly before Christmas and wondered if anyone had ideas on what I could watch with the family over Christmas , but would be able to follow the plot. I have audible but think I’m going to get bored listening to that on my own all the time, and wanted to do something with the family (all adults) so I won’t feel left out.

I’m only having surgery in one eye, but feel it will be more comfortable to recuperate by shutting both eyes, and the recovery may take some weeks as the surgery will involve incisions with a scalpel 👻

Thanks in advance gransnetters 💕

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 29-Nov-23 17:42:32

My Dad was blind and only ‘watched’ sport, particularly cricket, and the news and went along with Mum’s interest in Coronation Street, though not a fan I’m sure. I think if he were alive now he would enjoy listening to David Attenborough’s programmes. Programmes with a good commentary are key if you can’t see.

V3ra Wed 29-Nov-23 18:20:17

Maybe try putting a patch over the affected eye, so you can see/squint through the other one?

My mother-in-law has macular degeneration.
She's a big soap fan and likes Emmerdale and Coronation Street. If you know the characters you'd probably be able to follow by listening.

What about quiz shows where the questions are spoken? Doesn't have to be anything too high brow! We like The Chase presented by Bradley Walsh.

OldFrill Wed 29-Nov-23 23:55:28

There's AD (Audio Description) on televisions (apologies if you know this). It intermittently narrates the plot so folk with poor sight can keep up. It can be a bit off putting for those that don't need it, but many don't realise that it's being used.

Charleygirl5 Thu 30-Nov-23 09:14:04

I have geographic atrophy in both eyes which is end-stage Macular Degeneration.

Depending on the programme, sometimes I have AD on but I have sub titles on permanently. So many programmes look as though it was filmed in semi-darkness, I have no idea what is going on, it is all for "atmosphere".

Alexa supplies me with news and music.

Juicywords Thu 30-Nov-23 18:26:09

Thanks for all your suggestions. I’ll be having a look at which programmes have audio description as well. It would also help if the dialogue in many dramas wasn’t so mumbled. If you can’t see or hear there’s really no point trying to follow!

Funnily enough I did ask my consultant if I could continue using a patch (after surgery you have a patch and eye shield for 24 hours) but he strongly advised against it as bacteria love moist, warm, dark environments to flourish.

Charleygirl5 Thu 30-Nov-23 19:11:34

The mumbling by most is why I leave subtitles on permanently.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Nov-23 19:14:28

Juicywords

Thanks for all your suggestions. I’ll be having a look at which programmes have audio description as well. It would also help if the dialogue in many dramas wasn’t so mumbled. If you can’t see or hear there’s really no point trying to follow!

Funnily enough I did ask my consultant if I could continue using a patch (after surgery you have a patch and eye shield for 24 hours) but he strongly advised against it as bacteria love moist, warm, dark environments to flourish.

I have to have subtitles for everything as everyone seems to mumble.

OldFrill Thu 30-Nov-23 19:49:27

I found they mumble less if l bother to put my hearing aids in smile

Bonnybanko Mon 04-Dec-23 01:18:37

Years ago I watched a royal wedding with a blind man not as unusual as you would think he was a physiotherapist. I would recommend watching Crime, best if you’re Scottish though enjoy enjoy enjoy