Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

ARCHIE on ITVX

(17 Posts)
Sparklefizz Wed 29-Nov-23 17:34:18

Anyone watching Archie on ITVX? It's a dramatisation of Cary Grant's life story, and it's very well done.

Granmarderby10 Wed 29-Nov-23 17:38:36

Going to Sparklefizz, I’ve got it all lined up in my saved stuff😊

SachaMac Wed 29-Nov-23 17:51:24

Heard a lot about it and seen some clips & interviews with the cast, it’s on my viewing list.

Sparklefizz Fri 01-Dec-23 10:06:21

I've finished watching it and really enjoyed it. He had a very difficult childhood which affected him all his life.

henetha Fri 01-Dec-23 10:33:27

I finished it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cary Grant was on my list of lifelong favourite actors, and it was good to find out what he was really like.

Mollygo Fri 01-Dec-23 10:53:31

Great watching. I loved Cary Grant’s films. I nearly missed it, because when I saw Archie, I thought it was about Harry’s son.

Sparklefizz Fri 01-Dec-23 11:17:25

Despite not having loving parents himself, he seemed to be a very good father and completely doted on his daughter.

sassysaysso Fri 01-Dec-23 11:19:30

I've watched it all and enjoyed it. Jason Isaacs was excellent in the lead but it would have been a tall order for any actor to convince us he was the amazingly attractive Cary Grant. The actress who played Dyan Cannon was superb and they platyed well together.

TerriBull Fri 01-Dec-23 13:08:00

He had a tough early life, I'm always glad when anyone overcomes adversity and goes on to make a success of themselves in whatever their chosen field might be.

I was watching an episode last night in which Cary Grant (Archie) takes Dyan Cannon back to Bristol to meet his mother Googled his mother, she died in 1935 so that went well into the realms of poetic licence given the couple didn't get together until the early 60s! hmm Having said that I thought the production is pretty good, Jason Isaacs steps up to the role very well and the actress who plays Dyan Cannon actually looks like she did when she was young.

I think ITVX have some of his films at the moment, I think I might well try one or two as an alternative when trying to find something half decent to watch.

merlotgran Fri 01-Dec-23 13:16:13

I binge watched it last weekend and really enjoyed it.

Every time one of his films was mentioned I found myself saying out loud to myself, ‘Ooh! I loved that!’

essjay Fri 01-Dec-23 13:16:38

Have watched it all, always liked Cary Grant. Despite an awful childhood it was good to see how he managed to get his life on track even though some of his childhood did affect how he saw life. Loved the end credits where it showed the dates for archibald leech and the dates for cary grant.

essjay Fri 01-Dec-23 13:19:03

it was his dad who died in 1935,his mother died in 1973

TerriBull Fri 01-Dec-23 13:38:12

I do apologise, I Googled her again, I misread that it was indeed his father who died in 1935, you're right essjay she was around until 1973, almost 100! so maybe that meeting that Cary orchestrated between Dyan and his mother did take place.

Kim19 Fri 01-Dec-23 13:55:41

Loved everything about him and all of his films so have decided not to indulge in his reality and spoil my dream.

00mam00 Wed 27-Dec-23 16:28:33

Kim19, you may be right. It was well done, but left me very sad and not quite looking forward to seeing his films again. Nothing sleazy just a man who didn’t fit his screen persona.

Sparklefizz Wed 27-Dec-23 16:59:44

00mam00

Kim19, you may be right. It was well done, but left me very sad and not quite looking forward to seeing his films again. Nothing sleazy just a man who didn’t fit his screen persona.

He was an actor. Should we expect him to "fit his screen persona"? I don't think so.

Jane43 Wed 27-Dec-23 20:03:29

It was quite good but there is a better three part programme about his life on Netflix.