Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Winner of this year’s Portrait Artist of the Year.

(26 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Thu 07-Dec-23 06:26:15

So relieved at the result. After last year’s result we half expected another unbelievable choice of winner. However, the judges actually steeled themselves to utter the word “traditional” in their summing up of their choice. Even more relief when the portrait was instantly recognisable as well as beautifully rendered. The subsequent programme where the artist and sitter were shown to be so right for each other was a joy. Anyone else feel the same?

pascal30 Thu 07-Dec-23 09:22:31

I think Thai was most relieved.. and thank goodness that the winning portrait was of a wonderful interesting looking woman and so exquisitely rendered by Wendy...

non of the botoxed skin of the semi-final..

pascal30 Thu 07-Dec-23 09:24:31

I mean of course Jane Goodall,,

Esmay Thu 07-Dec-23 10:03:55

I was dreading another bad choice ( in my opinion ) - just because the judges are looking for a different style .

I was so happy when they chose Wendy .

She's a superb portrait artist and I liked her loving relationship with her husband !

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Dec-23 10:07:09

Where can we see all the portraits?
I didn't watch this.

pascal30 Thu 07-Dec-23 10:11:30

NotSpaghetti

Where can we see all the portraits?
I didn't watch this.

It will be repeated on the free channel 36 Sky Arts tonight at 7-9pm..

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Dec-23 11:10:45

Thanks pascal - I don't really want to watch it to be honest, but would be interested in the portraits.

pascal30 Thu 07-Dec-23 11:12:10

well the portrait commission prize of Jane Goodall will be in the National Portrait Gallery

joannapiano Thu 07-Dec-23 11:43:14

Before we watched the three finalists, I told DH that I would never watch this programme again if the girl who did the cartoon-like paintings on wood, won. Thank goodness Wendy won.
And the winner of the Turner prize this week. A load of junk in a room! Turner must be spinning in his grave!

seadragon Thu 07-Dec-23 11:53:44

Thanks, Pascal30. I'd fallen out of the habit of watching, despite enjoying the programmes, but had hoped to see the final episode.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 07-Dec-23 14:47:06

joannapiano

Before we watched the three finalists, I told DH that I would never watch this programme again if the girl who did the cartoon-like paintings on wood, won. Thank goodness Wendy won.
And the winner of the Turner prize this week. A load of junk in a room! Turner must be spinning in his grave!

We were saying exactly the same. Also the same about the Turner prize. I think the judges came into so much criticism last year that I think they had to attempt a new approach. Thai is a wonderful artist but feel, rightly or wrongly, that the curator has too much to say and overpowers Thai who is a much milder character. The historian is okay.

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Dec-23 15:05:02

Thanks pascal will look out for it next time at the gallery.

Can probably Google the winner.

Would be nice to see all the attempts online somewhere though. I think I saw a cartoonish one of Rory Stewart in the news.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Dec-23 15:18:08

joannapiano

That’s exactly what I said, too. I dread to think what Jane Woodall would have said if the caricaturist had been given the commission, I welled up when I saw the portrait. It was wonderful. I did feel uncomfortable about Jane Goodall referring to herself as an icon, though. Most icons are self effacing. I always remember Spike Milligan saying about himself ‘ yes, I am a bit of a cult aren’t I’. Don’t mean to be disrespectful towards her by saying it as I admire her so much. Rory Stewart hated the caricature portrait that was done of him but the judges kept saying the portraits weren’t caricatures. They kept describing them in weird ways. I don’t understand why they sometimes choose portraits but then say they haven’t quite got a likeness (which I thought was the whole point of a portrait). I must admit that last years winner, the Lenny Henry one has grown on me since last year when I found it very disappointing. I was very envious of the winning artists garden….She was a very worthy winner and what a gift she has.

Streaky Thu 07-Dec-23 15:33:24

I was delighted that Wendy won. I loved her portrait and will try and visit the National Portrait Gallery soon to view it. I think that the potential relationship between artist and sitter might also have been in the judges’ mind when they chose the winner, particularly since Dt Goodall seemed to be rather a reluctant sitter.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Dec-23 15:43:36

I don’t think that she would have struck up a relationship with the male finalist or the caricaturist.

Deedaa Thu 07-Dec-23 21:44:56

I watched her painting Jane Goodall this morning and I just had an enormous smile on my face for the whole programme. Can't believe Jane is nearly 90! I still see her as the young girl in the forest. The portrait was absolutely spot on too. I was fascinated by the artist's husband with his tattoos. Not at all like the tattoo'd people I see cropping up on facebook! where were the multiple piercings and shaved head? Instead just a nicely dressed, middle aged, middle class gentleman.

Parsley3 Fri 08-Dec-23 10:27:22

I watched this with great pleasure. What an excellent choice of artist for this portrait. Well done the judges.

MayBee70 Fri 08-Dec-23 10:38:59

Deedaa

I watched her painting Jane Goodall this morning and I just had an enormous smile on my face for the whole programme. Can't believe Jane is nearly 90! I still see her as the young girl in the forest. The portrait was absolutely spot on too. I was fascinated by the artist's husband with his tattoos. Not at all like the tattoo'd people I see cropping up on facebook! where were the multiple piercings and shaved head? Instead just a nicely dressed, middle aged, middle class gentleman.

Well, he was a circus artiste!

pascal30 Fri 08-Dec-23 12:05:16

He's also an amazing water colour artist

Ailidh Sat 09-Dec-23 08:28:15

I've just watched the final. So pleased it was Wendy!
I loved the clip with her husband, what a lovely, gentle man.
I really liked her picture too. Nothing gimmicky.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 10-Dec-23 03:29:21

Yes Ailidh her husband was so thrilled his wife had won that he was in tears. What a loving relationship they have which just added to the sheer pleasure of seeing her work.

Minnyknit Sun 10-Dec-23 12:14:32

Every word you wrote. Last years was a travesty, this year brought tears to my eyes when it was revealed. She is unbelievably talented.

yellowfox Sun 10-Dec-23 15:24:16

A worthy winner, thank goodness.
I sometimes wonder if the judges are having a laugh.
I do, at some of the weird paintings they seem to think are wonderful.
Well done Wendy - loved all your entries.

Candelle Sun 10-Dec-23 16:32:22

Yes! Thank goodness that this year, what was on a canvas was judged and applauded and not what the judges 'saw (leaving the rest of us utterly confounded!). I hope that makes sense....

Wendy's portrait was wonderful and we mused about the possibility of even her preparatory sketches being sold for vast sums in a hundred/two hundred years or so!

Such an unassuming artist, we felt happy that she won.

I am not sure that Jane Goodall saying 'I am an icon' sat particularly well with us too but perhaps the clip was taken out of context, as one never knows with television editing etc.

Oreo Sun 10-Dec-23 19:42:47

yellowfox

A worthy winner, thank goodness.
I sometimes wonder if the judges are having a laugh.
I do, at some of the weird paintings they seem to think are wonderful.
Well done Wendy - loved all your entries.

I didn’t see the latest programme but from past ones the judges seem to choose the very worse paintings they possibly can.
Maybe they have come to their senses😄