Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Breathtaking: facts and lies re COVID in the NHS

(171 Posts)
Grantanow Mon 29-Jan-24 12:57:29

Don't miss Breathtaking coming on ITV 1 in February. Originated by a real life NHS doctor and two NHS ex-doctor co-writers this drama shows the reality of COVID in an NHS hospital versus the spin and political lies about the ready availability of ventilators, PPE, etc. Stars Joanne Froggat of Downton Abbey. Could be as shocking as the Post Office drama. Don't miss it.

Birthto110 Tue 30-Jan-24 00:18:17

Yes look forward to that as Covid was disastrous for us. A tragedy. Meant health facilities closed doors to 'Save the NHS', people were urged to 'Stay at home'. Our loved one stayed at home and didn't make it, tried to access healthcare in Spring 2020 and could not, despite best efforts, was turned away.

Grantanow Sat 17-Feb-24 12:02:55

Starts Monday 19th Feb at 9 pm.

Deedaa Sun 18-Feb-24 20:09:15

I know that DD's friend was working as a doctor in A&E, 72 hours a week all through Covid. At one point they were working such long hours the hospital was running out of money to pay them.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Feb-24 20:13:21

My dearest and longest stranding friend worked on the end of life Covid ward all through the Pandemic, I shall not be watching, to soon.

Marydoll Sun 18-Feb-24 20:17:46

GrannyGravy13

My dearest and longest stranding friend worked on the end of life Covid ward all through the Pandemic, I shall not be watching, to soon.

As did my DIL's mother. It broke her, especially as her father died in the middle of it all. She was in Scotland, he in England. 😪

SeaWoozle Sun 18-Feb-24 23:16:06

I worked in a hospice as a chef throughout the pandemic. Full PPE and zero contact with patients, having previously gone round taking their orders and chatting about their meals, every day. The day I had to go around to all of them telling them I would no longer be able to see them broke me. Especially knowing that for some, it would be the last time I'd see them. It still moves me to tears.

And the lies which were spun. It fills me with rage.

NotSpaghetti Sun 18-Feb-24 23:28:44

GrannyGravy13 I think it's too soon too - but of course everyone has to have everything immediately.

SeaWoozle Sun 18-Feb-24 23:34:06

GrannyGravy13

Totally agree. I would be yelling at the TV within minutes. I'd quite like it to stay in one piece!

Grantanow Mon 19-Feb-24 10:04:15

It's on tonight at 9 pm. It will cast a long shadow over the COVID inquiry.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 19-Feb-24 10:13:16

I watched an interview with someone connected to this drama on breakfast television this morning.

They said that people need to see

what it was like in hospitals during the pandemic

They obviously have very short memories, as we were subjected to a constant stream of TV presenters along with
their cameramen appearing from NHS Covid wards and or care/nursing homes on TV News bulletins every day…

AGAA4 Mon 19-Feb-24 10:20:46

I don't think I want to revisit the early days of COVID. We know it was a shambles and we were told lies.
Too many people died unnecessarily.

Callistemon21 Mon 19-Feb-24 11:13:08

A Welsh hospital recorded the early days of Covid in the ICU, including footage of the lives of some of the doctors and nurses.

It was on BBC2 but is no longer on iPlayer.

I wonder if this drama will be based on that?

Callistemon21 Mon 19-Feb-24 11:14:54

They said that people need to see

what it was like in hospitals during the pandemic

🤔 I'm not sure.
Many of us knew.

Callistemon21 Mon 19-Feb-24 11:17:23

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000j7wf

For some reason, this programme is no longer available.

I'm not sure how useful a drama will be just now.

Visgir1 Mon 19-Feb-24 12:01:55

Extracts of this book where in the Times back last year, powerful.

Grantanow Mon 19-Feb-24 12:08:35

This morning's BBC news has an investigatory item about the hidden NHS waiting list which means the actual waiting list is about 11 million rather than the 7 million acknowledged by the Tories. The charity Reform (nothing to do with the political party ReformUK) has published a similar report at reform.uk/publications/the-hidden-waitlist/

Callistemon21 Mon 19-Feb-24 16:04:40

Grantanow

This morning's BBC news has an investigatory item about the hidden NHS waiting list which means the actual waiting list is about 11 million rather than the 7 million acknowledged by the Tories. The charity Reform (nothing to do with the political party ReformUK) has published a similar report at reform.uk/publications/the-hidden-waitlist/

Yes, DH was telling me about that.

I was one of the "actuals" not put on the list by mistake hmm

Kate1949 Mon 19-Feb-24 17:32:32

Dr Rachel Clarke, whose book the drama is based on, was on TV this morning. She said the drama is an accurate portrayal of what went on.

Susan56 Mon 19-Feb-24 17:49:24

We lost four family members as a result of the pandemic.Too soon for me to watch.

Versavisa Mon 19-Feb-24 21:46:50

Yes, it is painful, staggering, well, breathtaking really. Needs to be watched though.

We all got through it somehow but we need to see it through the eyes of the professionals.

paddyann54 Mon 19-Feb-24 22:08:18

Dont we owe these brave souls more than "CLAPPING" every week? Maybe the governments should do the donkey work if theres a next time ...they are far more likely to get everything they need for protection than the doctors and nurses were.
We lost the 34 year old son of a dear friend in the first weeks and several others including family during the fist lockdown.While Bojo was still "shaking hands with everyone he met..even covid patients" It beggers belief!1

Grannmarie Mon 19-Feb-24 22:53:08

I'm watching episode 2 with tears tripping me. I've mixed emotions of deep sorrow, anger and real fear that ' lessons ' will not be learned. It's soul destroying to look back on how badly prepared we were and what stupid mistakes were made at the highest levels. It's a very hard watch but I feel we have to bear witness.
Our family, too, suffered Covid bereavements.

Callistemon21 Mon 19-Feb-24 22:57:04

I have recorded it. Can't watch it just yet.

silverlining48 Mon 19-Feb-24 22:57:59

It was written by Jed Mrcurio ( line of duty) based on the diary of Dr Rachel Clarke.
Two more episodes to go, tomorrow and Wednesday. Powerful and shocking especially the lack of Ppe.