Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Radio Four Comedies - Favourites?

(47 Posts)
SeaWoozle Sat 24-Feb-24 21:31:38

We're off to see I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue being recorded tomorrow evening. Really excited to see it as it's one of our favourite programmes.

Uncle Mort is another Sunday evening favourite.

Grandmabatty Sat 24-Feb-24 22:21:58

Cabin pressure. I laughed at every episode

LadyGaGa Sat 24-Feb-24 22:44:38

Me too. Grandmabatty. I must look on BBC Sounds. I would love to listen to it again.

Elrel Sat 24-Feb-24 22:54:31

I enjoyed Clare in the Community with Sally Phillips

chocolatepudding Sun 25-Feb-24 08:57:42

We went to the 50th anniversary special I'm Sorry I Havent a Clue in May 2022 at the Royal Albert Hall. The producer Jon Naismith warmed the audience up and introduced the contestants, Jack Dee and Colin Sell. The highlight was the arrival of Samantha and Sven.
A lovely evening I will not forget.

silverlining48 Sun 25-Feb-24 09:03:07

I love Sorry I haven’t a clue and just a minute.
Would love to see it being recorded.
Was it easy to get tickets?

lixy Sun 25-Feb-24 09:09:31

From many years ago - Week Ending was my unmissable favourite.

Now I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue is great, I like The News Quiz and I'm enjoying Tales From a Long Marriage too.

Chardy Sun 25-Feb-24 09:21:49

Definitely another Week Ending fan here lixy. Wonderful David Jason, and produced by, amongst others, David Hatch who did I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.
Both programmes gave many 'National Treasure' stature writers and performers their first big break.
Mark Steele is in Town is one of the few programmes that make me laugh so much I have to listen to it twice in order to catch all the jokes.

chocolatepudding Sun 25-Feb-24 09:33:04

To get tickets for I'm Sorry have a look at the official website isihac.net when tickets go on sale go online before the start time and act quickly as the tickets sell out in an hour

chocolatepudding Sun 25-Feb-24 09:34:30

Full website

isihac.net

NotSpaghetti Sun 25-Feb-24 09:47:13

There is a lot of useless no-fun no-wit comedy on radio 4 at 6.30 in my opinion.

I do like I'm sorry I... and to a lesser extent Just a minute.

JackyB Sun 25-Feb-24 10:14:45

When I was about 15 I went to see a recording of I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again. Quite an adventure considering we lived out in the sticks. It wasn't one of the better ones, but I'm still remember many of the better episodes and can recite them off by heart.

Nowadays I enjoy all the quizzes and most of the comedies, although the News Quiz isn't what it used to be. That might be the fault of the news itself, though. Some of the older comedies that are repeated on 4Extra aren't really funny any more, but it's nice listening to them - very nostalgic!

M0nica Sun 25-Feb-24 10:56:31

Most of the above and the programme featuring Ed Reardon

SeaWoozle Sun 25-Feb-24 11:01:18

silverlining48

I love Sorry I haven’t a clue and just a minute.
Would love to see it being recorded.
Was it easy to get tickets?

Yes, very easy. You can either buy them from its own website, or from the actual venue. They do sell out, but I bought ours as a Christmas present and there were still plenty left. I think it probably also depends on the venue. We're going to Llandudno.

silverlining48 Sun 25-Feb-24 11:36:42

Thank you. I didn’t realise the programme is recorded in different places, I thought it was in bbc studios.

silverlining48 Sun 25-Feb-24 11:38:33

Oh yes I like Mark Steel too. Also the policeman where audience participation is part of the show

SeaWoozle Sun 25-Feb-24 11:55:30

silverlining48

Thank you. I didn’t realise the programme is recorded in different places, I thought it was in bbc studios.

So did I in the beginning. They're not cheap though...I think ours were £33 each. But it's for about three hours. Interested to know what happens as they record two shows which, when on the radio, are only half an hour each! I suspect lots of jollity and mucking about. I'll let you know 😊

SeaWoozle Sun 25-Feb-24 11:57:28

silverlining48

Oh yes I like Mark Steel too. Also the policeman where audience participation is part of the show

Saw Mark Steel last year. He was amazing. Such a clever man - very funny, passionate and ranty!

And very short, I noticed!

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 25-Feb-24 12:04:35

I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue for me too. One song to the tune of another reduces me to helpless laughter. Very few other comedy programmes, radio or television, seem funny to me.

Ilovecheese Sun 25-Feb-24 12:09:44

Cabin Pressure. Count Arthur Strong.

SeaWoozle Sun 25-Feb-24 12:53:04

Chocolatelovinggran

I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue for me too. One song to the tune of another reduces me to helpless laughter. Very few other comedy programmes, radio or television, seem funny to me.

Hilarious. I was looking at merchandise the other day and apparently there's a CD you can buy of Jeremy Hardy (RIP 🤗😢) singing these songs!

I believe tonight we've got Rory Bremner, Marcus Brigstocke, Lucy Porter and the guy with the fridge..... Er.... Tony Hawks 😁

jenpax Sun 25-Feb-24 12:53:35

Hut 33 and Cabin Pressure are brilliant I also liked Gloomsbury

jenpax Sun 25-Feb-24 12:54:32

Jeremy Hardy was fantastic! Much missed

SeaWoozle Sun 25-Feb-24 12:56:43

jenpax

Hut 33 and Cabin Pressure are brilliant I also liked Gloomsbury

Never heard of Hut 33, I'll have to take a look 🙂

M0nica Sun 25-Feb-24 13:55:36

Again, Gloomsbury was very funny, but I confess, I hated Count Arthur Strong