Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Old TV programmes remembered

(105 Posts)
GrannyIvy Sun 25-Feb-24 15:25:14

Does anyone remember Sara & Hoppity? I loved this programme in the early 1960’s. I even called my first born Sara! I saw an old You Tube of this yesterday and oh my goodness I found it a bit creepy but at 5 years old I adored it and never forgotten it. Another favourite was Torchy the Battery Boy. How childrens TV has moved on! I enjoy Peppa Pig and Fireman Sam now watching them with my grandchildren😂

sodapop Sun 25-Feb-24 15:30:01

I'm of the Flowerpot Men and Muffin the Mule era GrannyIvy . I used to hurry home from school to listen to a radio serial called The Red Grass. My daughter really loved Catweazle.

Kate1949 Sun 25-Feb-24 15:33:48

We loved The Woodentops, Torchy the battery boy and Twizzle.

Calendargirl Sun 25-Feb-24 15:33:56

I remember Torchy the Battery Boy. Think he would look a bit clunky nowadays.

Also remember Four Feather Falls, a puppet western starring Tex Tucker. There was a song in it- “Big chief friend of two gun Tex- Kai -I-kalamakula- cum a Kai a” or something similar!

My sister and I loved it!

GrannyIvy Sun 25-Feb-24 15:44:03

I have yet to find anyone who remembers Sara & Hoppity! I also loved Woodentops, Flowerpot Men and Andy Pandy. My sister liked Button Moon and Camberwick Green. She was a few years behind me!

MissAdventure Sun 25-Feb-24 15:52:17

Pogles wood was one of my favourites.
That witch was scary!

Visgir1 Sun 25-Feb-24 15:57:49

Crumbs Sarah and Hoppity forgot about them.. . Just looked up on YouTube your right GI, it's creepy.

Yes to Tourchy loved it and Twizzle, I believe they were forerunners to the development of Thunderbirds.

I too was little watching Wooden tops, Andy Pandy et al.
Apprently I broke my heart everytime Sooty finnish.

eddiecat78 Sun 25-Feb-24 16:11:42

What about The Singing Ringing Tree - nightmarish!

Chestnut Sun 25-Feb-24 16:23:20

Just looked up Sarah Brown and Hoppity because I remember the song for some reason. It really is creepy, those puppets look very scary. If you can see the comments, a lot of people were traumatised by this.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hHWSikc_ME

Juliet27 Sun 25-Feb-24 16:34:38

Prudence Kitten was one of my early favourites.

Chestnut Sun 25-Feb-24 16:36:56

We didn't have a TV when I was a child but somehow I remember Muffin the Mule (I was a club member), Sooty (had a puppet which I loved) and Billy Bean and his Funny Machine (had a puppet of him too but didn't like it much).
nostalgiacentral.com/television/tv-by-decade/tv-shows-1950s/billy-bean-funny-machine/

Curtaintwitcher Sun 25-Feb-24 16:43:05

No, I don't remember Sara and Hoppity but I do remember all the Watch With Mother features. Rag, Tag and Bobtail is one that not many will recall...how about The Herbs?
Camberwick Green and Trumpton anyone?

Granmarderby10 Sun 25-Feb-24 16:56:40

Curtaintwitcher

No, I don't remember Sara and Hoppity but I do remember all the Watch With Mother features. Rag, Tag and Bobtail is one that not many will recall...how about The Herbs?
Camberwick Green and Trumpton anyone?

🎶I’m Dill the dog- I’m a dog named Dill” (think it was a poodle) and The chives! 😊

V3ra Sun 25-Feb-24 16:58:32

Chestnut

Just looked up Sarah Brown and Hoppity because I remember the song for some reason. It really is creepy, those puppets look very scary. If you can see the comments, a lot of people were traumatised by this.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hHWSikc_ME

I've just watched this.
When Hoppity started talking my dog shot out of bed and stared at me, trembling! 🫨🫣
There's no way I'd let a child watch it these days 🤣

MissAdventure Sun 25-Feb-24 17:22:25

Does anyone remember the singing, ringing tree?
It had a huge fish which was washed up on the banks of a dried up lake, and had a wicked.... err... small person that scuttled around out of sight, mostly.

SeaWoozle Sun 25-Feb-24 18:17:22

I think I'm more behind than most....

In no particular chronological order!

Pipkins - I loved Hartley Hare as a child but now when I see him he's actually quite scary!

Will'o The Wisp

Chorlton and the Wheelies

Terrahawks

Mysterious Cities of Gold

So many to choose from!

SeaWoozle Sun 25-Feb-24 18:17:51

I forgot Rentaghost!

MissAdventure Sun 25-Feb-24 18:20:07

Ooh I loved Will'o the Wisp!
Trapdoor, too.

daisybooh Sun 25-Feb-24 18:24:02

Mr turnip we used to to our aunties every fortnight to watch it.
(That’s before we had a TV)

Mamardoit Sun 25-Feb-24 18:28:35

I remember Rag, Tag, and Bobtail and Pinky and Perky the singing pigs.
Was there one with real animals on a boat? It may have been guinea pig on a boat.

Tortoiselover Sun 25-Feb-24 18:41:16

Tales from the Riverbank had real guinea pigs. Also I do remember Sara and Hoppity, loved it as a child, but gosh it looks creepy now for sure

MissAdventure Sun 25-Feb-24 18:45:24

Mr Ben.
The man who went into a clothes shop, out the back of a wardrobe, (I think) and went off for faraway adventures, wearing his chosen outfit.

Mamardoit Sun 25-Feb-24 21:37:14

Just founded Tales from the Riverbank on YouTube! Johnny Morris is the narrator. Yes that's the programme I remember.

Grandma70s Sun 25-Feb-24 21:57:06

Most of the programmes mentioned here are the ones my children watched. No TV when I was a child - it existed but we didn’t have it. With my children I watched Camberwick Green and Trumpton, and loved anything by Oliver Postgate - Ivor the Engine, Noggin the Nog.

Grandma70s Sun 25-Feb-24 22:03:47

Oh, and Bagpuss of course. My son, now 51, says he can still recite the opening lines.