Gransnet forums

Webchats

Michael Palin - live webchat Tues 8 Oct at 11am

(86 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Sep-13 11:50:36

We love his bestselling travel books and we love his TV travel series, including Pole to Pole, Around the World in 80 days...oh and so many more. And that's before we even get started on how much we love Monty Python. And A Fish Called Wanda. And...

Is it any wonder we are just a teeny bit excited that Michael Palin will be joining us for a live webchat?

Add a question for him and you could win a SIGNED copy of his latest book - Brazil, described by The Independent as "a fascinating portrait of a nation". With the World Cup in 2014 and the Olympics in 2016, all eyes are on Brazil as never before. Michael explores this vast and disparate nation by train, floatplane and on foot and it makes a fascinating read.

glammanana Tue 24-Sep-13 21:17:47

Well how lucky you are at GNHQ to have Michael Palin with you on that day,I have admired all his work since Monty Python of course and his exploits travelling abroad have been a delight on our screens he makes you feel as though you are actually there with him.
The one question I would love to ask him is:
Michael after your long and very engrossing search for a "Bath Plug" in that Hotel in I think Russia ? do you now make sure you always have a spare with you grin Thanks for many years of super viewing.glamma

penguinpaperback Wed 25-Sep-13 13:22:26

Hello Michael, not really a question but about 14 years ago I was working in a store where you were due to spend a couple of hours book signing. Approx 5 or 6 hours later you were still there signing books. We had never had so many people turn up for a book signing before. Other times we'd had so few people turning up to see an author we'd had to put our coats on and pretend to be the general public.
I watched The Wipers Times a few weeks ago and thought it was fabulous, incredibly moving.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 25-Sep-13 16:01:22

glammanana someone actually came over all funny when it was announced <ahem, not me of course>

Wallygrom Wed 25-Sep-13 20:47:08

hi Michael
Having traveled the world for various TV series and personal enjoyment, how much of the world do you think you have personally traveled to in your life and is there somewhere you would still desperately like to go to?

Ruby6918 Thu 26-Sep-13 20:14:31

hi michael hope you are well, i would like to ask you if you could have an intimate meal with a few guests who would like to spend your evening with and why? thank you cathy,

JS06 Fri 27-Sep-13 10:18:32

From your recent experiences in Brazil please can you tell us something surprising which you came across which really touched you and also something which shocked you.

Love all your work.

Pamaga Fri 27-Sep-13 10:18:55

Hi Michael
We have some of your autobiographical diaries on audiobooks. I wondered if you still keep a diary and whether you religiously make a daily entry. When do you write it up? Did you have to prune your diaries extensively when you converted them to autobiographies or do you generally exclude the minutiae of daily life?

nancy22 Fri 27-Sep-13 10:44:19

Hi there
after traveling around the world, what would you say is your favourite place you have visited and what is your favourite program you have done?

Smithy Fri 27-Sep-13 11:07:29

What a fascinating and really inspiring life you have led. Do you believe that age is a barrier to anyone looking for travelling adventures? (as opposed to just holidaying)

Crocky Fri 27-Sep-13 14:21:35

I don't mean to be unkind but why is it that ageing stars still want to be in the limelight? Why not retire gracefully and give a chance to younger people.
Crocky.

Ian42 Fri 27-Sep-13 17:26:07

Hi Michael,

Have you ever thought of making a film on traveling around Britain in a unusual way? Especially as I cannot afford exotic places abroad.

vee27 Sat 28-Sep-13 07:59:19

Hello Mr. Palin,

I have an unusual and very silly request if you mind. I follow Mr. Eric Idle on Twitter and he often tweets about you and even once declared how much he loves you. Would mind providing a 'shout-out' to him via this Q&A? I shall tweet him with your response!

Thank you!

natasha43 Sat 28-Sep-13 08:25:20

A very big HELLO from Thailand, Mr Michael.

I enjoyed all of your travel programs and I have all of your books, films, and of course Monty Python things. I have two questions for you if that is OK.

The first is: Will you be acting in more television and films again? (I've recently saw The Wipers Times and I was in awe of how amazing you are in that role. I rewatched a lot of your old films many times like The Missionary, Jabberwocky, A Fish Called Wanda, and American Friends. I hope you will continue taking roles because we have been deprived of your amazing acting for so long.)

The second is: It seems to me that the elements in Monty Python, first on Flying Circus and later on films, tend to be philosophical in some way, and then on your travel programs, you are discovering and interacting with new people, culture, traditions, religion, and practices, which in the end can be summed up to something philosophical as well. So, if many, many hundred years from now, your work survives and the people of the future interpret you and the rest of the Pythons as philosophers, what would you say to them? Was working in all these projects (of course in addition to the fun and love you have with and for them) a part of a journey for you to seek a kind of Truth or shall we say 'The Meaning of Life'?

Thank you, Mr Michael for your time and kindness and your lovely silliness. We love you! (And please don't retire!)

weather Sat 28-Sep-13 11:50:19

I have really enjoyed all of your programs and books...just wondering how do you get on with your Travel insurance for all these places now you are in a more mature age group?
We love travel but find travel insurance for the over 65s difficult..still at least we have your programs to follow and can go all over the world with them.
Thankyou so much for sharing all your experiences with us, it has brought us a great deal of pleasure.

vee27 Sat 28-Sep-13 20:49:17

Sorry, there were a few typos in my message, here's the Edited version:

Hello Mr. Palin,

I have an unusual and very silly request if you don't mind. I follow Mr. Eric Idle on Twitter and he often tweets about you and even once declared how much he loves you. Would you mind providing a 'shout-out' to him via this Q&A? I shall tweet him with your response!

Thank you!

seasider Mon 30-Sep-13 00:05:42

hello Mr Palin I would just like to ask where you like to go on holiday? love the programmes by the way.

dubdubdub Tue 01-Oct-13 20:03:45

My son discovered the world through the eyes of Michael Palin from the age of 12, on seeing your book 'Full Circle' on a supermarket shelf.
From that day he dreamed of leaving our shores and exploring the world.
Now aged 30 with a family of his own, he is passing on his own memories from afar, having achieved his dream before settling down.
How does it feel, Michael, when a mother tells you what a profound effect your character and inspiration has had on generations to come?
Thank You 5 times over, from me, from him and his three children.

gillybob Wed 02-Oct-13 15:41:14

Hi Michael. I just wondered what the most shocking and/or embarrasing thing you have ever done or been asked to do on your travels?

I love all of your work, Thank you.

Gagagran Thu 03-Oct-13 13:48:26

Hello Michael

What has been the biggest factor in your wanderlust? Is it genetic or did it stem from being brought up in Sheffield and needing to seek wider horizons?

With enormous admiration and respect for your work.

mazgoli Thu 03-Oct-13 14:45:13

This is not so much a question as a thank you. I believe that the media generally can make the public distrust a country even a whole nation of people by its selective reporting. You always seem to actually try to understand the people amongst whom you travel, and not judge them by how 'British' they are or how they conform to the ideas and values that we hold dear on our little island.

sassy60 Thu 03-Oct-13 16:52:31

Hi Michael Palin, how lucky we are to have you answering questions.
If you could go back in time, what would you say to your 16 year old self? and how did you go from doing comedy (Monty Python, Fish called Wanda) to travel? Was it an easy thing to do?
You seem like such an amiable man and I have long been an admirer. May you keep on going for many years to come as I believe age is no barrier to many things we, or celebs, like to do.
Good luck to you.

whenim64 Thu 03-Oct-13 17:08:21

Michael, I've loved all your travel series, and need more! Are you making any new films in the near future? Do you need a companion? grin

Annie29 Thu 03-Oct-13 17:49:03

Michael what is your favourite place to holiday.

Vidubo Thu 03-Oct-13 17:55:59

In the 80s, I had the pleasure of publicising you for ABC-TV (Australia) and have been following you ever since. I'm presently reading your 'New Europe' alongside Jan Morris's 2001 'wrap' on Trieste and her inner life. Like Morris, you capture the essence of the people around you as you travel, which moves your books - and even brief visitations via TV - into the realm of journalism teaching. Where else would you like to travel /revisit; and by which means? PS Would you consider a talk for the Chartered Institute of Journalists on the subject - or similar - of 'getting inside a country's skin', please? Vivienne DuBourdieu, Chair, Freelance Division, CIoJ. travlark.com/