Gransnet forums

Webchats

Fay Weldon webchat - Weds 27 Nov, 4-5pm

(59 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 13-Nov-13 17:28:25

We're very excited indeed that Fay Weldon - one of Britain's best-loved authors - will be joining us at GNHQ for a live webchat.

Fay’s credits as writer include classic novels like The Life and Loves of a She Devil and Puffball, and the pilot episode of the original TV series Upstairs Downstairs. In 2001 she was awarded a CBE for services to literature. She has seven sons and stepsons and one stepdaughter, and lives on a hill in Dorset.

Her latest novel, The New Countess, another joyous tale of manners and morals, commoners and countesses, (see below for special offer) has just been published and is the final instalment in the Love and Inheritance trilogy.

Add your questions for Fay here.

Also...we have 50 copies of Habits of the House, the first novel in Fay Weldon's Love & Inheritance trilogy to give-away. The first 50 gransnetters to email [email protected] with their full name and postal address will be sent a copy. Closing date 30th November.

Plus we have an exclusive Gransnet half price offer on the latest Fay Weldon novel. To order The New Countess for £7.50* simply quote code 9PX when placing your order by phone, email or post to:

E-mail: [email protected]
Call: 01256 302699
Write to: Customer Services, Macmillan Distribution, Brunel Road, Houndmills, RG21 6XS

*P&P not included. Closing date 31st December 2013.

tanmack Fri 15-Nov-13 22:55:48

How do you research your novels?

Riverwalk Sat 16-Nov-13 09:59:20

I've just received my copy of Habits of the House - thank you smile

glammanana Sun 17-Nov-13 17:49:28

Will we ever see a character such as the amazing Rose from "Upstairs Downstairs" in any of your fabulous novels.

nancy22 Mon 18-Nov-13 09:30:13

Hello, do you base any characters on people you know?

Waterdown Wed 20-Nov-13 16:25:28

Hello Fay,
I do love the covers of your novels - do you get to choose them or is it all in the hands of the publisher? If so, have you ever been really displeased with a cover?

Izzybee Wed 20-Nov-13 17:02:29

Hi Fay - I love your books, so thank you for many years of absorption! My question is, what are the books you would have your grandchildren read if you could choose? I am an avid reader but my daughter, alas, is not and I am wondering if I can help instil a love of books in my grandchildren from afar!

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 22-Nov-13 09:14:23

test post

Buddie Fri 22-Nov-13 16:06:32

I've just been re-reading your collection of short stories, Wicked Women, and I wondered if you feel there is still a place (and indeed a market) for short stories outside of the womens weekly and monthly titles?

sylwright Sat 23-Nov-13 12:44:24

just received my copy. Thank you very much !

inishowen Mon 25-Nov-13 15:13:54

Just received my copy and started it last night. It looks like a good read. Many thanks!

cinnamonstix Tue 26-Nov-13 09:20:01

Hi Fay! Feminism is a big theme across your books. What do you think about 'fourth wave feminism'? Do you think there's a place for it - or is it a bit middle class, and we should be focusing our attention on genuine battles for equality (i.e. racism, homophobia)?

CuriousCat Tue 26-Nov-13 09:43:53

I also have a feminism related question...

There was a lot of press back in 1998 when you said... "Defining [rape] as some peculiarly awful crime may even be counter-productive. I'd like to see it defused for women and deglamorised for men by returning it to the category of aggravated assault."

Do you still stand by this?

Statistically, only 5.3% of rapes reported to the police end in a conviction for rape. And 89% of rapes are never reported to the police at all (according to Mumsnet's Rape Myths page). Do you think more could be done to encourage rape victims to report?

Roxannee Tue 26-Nov-13 10:19:18

Hello Fay. Love your books. Out of all of your novels, which one is your favourite?

plainbellysneetch Tue 26-Nov-13 14:07:07

Hello Fay

Down Among the Women had a huge influence on me and my generation - thank you. I'd like to ask what it was like to be a bit 'ahead of your time'? Did you come under a lot of personal scrutiny from the media, which I imagine was very anti 'Women's Lib' at the time?

notquitebabyboomer Tue 26-Nov-13 17:31:16

Hi Fay,
You've written so many novels - how do you keep coming up with ideas, and do you think you'll continue indefinitely? Does it leave you much time to read other people's fiction, and if so, who do you read?

LyndaW Wed 27-Nov-13 08:02:52

Hi Fay, so nice of you to come on GN and answer our questions. I read on your website that no one's interested in what happens to women after 35. Why, in your opinion is this just women, and not men? I feel I only started to get interesting around 40. How do we convince the world not to ignore us 'oldies'?

threesugars Wed 27-Nov-13 08:07:35

Hi Fay, I'm interested to know what your thoughts are on ebooks and how they're affecting publishing? And general book readers? Do you have a Kindle or other e-device?

granoffour Wed 27-Nov-13 08:11:25

Hi Fay, do you think you will you ever stop writing? It seems like one of those professions (like being queen grin ) where you just don't stop. And I also wanted to ask who your favourite author/s are?

flopsybunny Wed 27-Nov-13 11:41:44

Another feminism question. I read somewhere about your views on a patriarchal society. Do you think this has changed much over the last generation? I like to think that it will be different for our granddaughters than it was for our daughters but I fear this may be wishful thinking

granIT Wed 27-Nov-13 11:45:07

I believe you come from a literary family. So is writing in your blood? Or was it something you simply happened into?

whenim64 Wed 27-Nov-13 12:28:44

Hi Fay. Do you have any more of your novels due to be filmed or televised? She Devil was my favourite series of your novel. Did you ever think of writing a sequel? I would be fascinated to learn how the rest of Ruth's life panned out, as she planned to make her husband as miserable as he had made her grin Such a rich landscape to plough, eh?

getmehrt Wed 27-Nov-13 14:42:01

You are - or were? - a professor of creative writing at Brunel university. Do you think the adage that "everyone has a book in them" is true? Or do you either have the talent or not (a talent which can then be honed)

pasttheyardarm Wed 27-Nov-13 15:00:05

Hi Fay! Are you a fan of Downton Abbey? Or do you feel like it ripped off Upstairs Downstairs a bit? And why do you think people so so fascinated with class, even today?

Nellsbells Wed 27-Nov-13 15:36:52

Lovely to have you here Fay - what are your favourite books? Are there any of your books that you would have loved to have seen as a film or tv adaptation? Or is the process a bit nerve-wracking for an author? Thank you smile