Gransnet forums

Webchats

Fast Exercise with Michael Mosley webchat

(80 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 30-Dec-13 10:15:15

Exercise is good for just about everything – you stay fitter, younger, and stronger. But how should you exercise? And how much?

Science journalist, television presenter and author of bestselling book The Fast Diet, Doctor Michael Mosley drops in on Gransnet to answer your questions on Fast Exercise, how a short burst of high intensity training (HIT) will help you get fitter, stronger and better toned in just a few minutes a day.

In his new book, Fast Exercise; The Simple Secret of High Intensity Training, Dr Michael Mosley, a reluctant exerciser, and super-fit health journalist Peta Bee show you how to safely do High Intensity Training and get the benefits – whatever your fitness level. Drawing on cutting edge research they show why high intensity training can be more effective than much longer periods of low-impact exercise. They also offer a range of workouts, of varying intensity – there is something here for everyone. As this fascinating book demonstrates, when it comes to exercise, less can be more.

Add your questions to Michael Mosley and Peta Bee below - they will be here to answer them on 13 January at 2pm.

jinglbellrocks Mon 30-Dec-13 10:24:14

Is there a risk of stroke with bursts of high intensity exercise? I am thinking Andrew Marr.

jinglbellrocks Mon 30-Dec-13 10:27:31

I believe you are an advocate of the 5.2 diet. Do you think this is safe for older people?

Mishap Mon 30-Dec-13 10:47:16

Mobility impaired by arthritic hip and aftermath of broken foot - how to exercise??

Galen Mon 30-Dec-13 11:32:53

Bilateral THRs, severely arthritic ankles and feet, generalised OA everywhere else! Oh! And asthmatic as well.
Is there any hope for a poor decrepit gran?

Charleygirl Mon 30-Dec-13 14:55:11

One failed knee replacement, other needs to be replaced, opposite ankle pinned and plated following a # dislocation, also like Galen, generally decrepit. I do go to a gym once a week but it is run by a physio so she watches the ancient and decrepit like a hawk. Little hope here.

Mishap Mon 30-Dec-13 15:32:36

I think the point we are trying to make is that we are not ancient (I am 65) but have been afflicted by various injuries/ailments that consistently thwart our efforts to stay fit - so any ideas gratefully received!

Tegan Mon 30-Dec-13 16:09:55

Difficult to ask questions without buying the book and seeing what the exercises are confused. However, as I tend to hang on Mr Moseleys every word [haven't tried the 5:2 diet yet but planning to] I'll try to get hold of it and pass on what it says.

Genevieve489 Mon 30-Dec-13 17:12:36

Age 67, arthritic knees, feet and hands. Advice on exercise I could do at home would be much appreciated.

janeainsworth Mon 30-Dec-13 20:30:44

This is the book description from Amazon:

"Dr Michael Mosley and Peta Bee investigate the fascinating science behind a radical new approach to exercise, one that is incredibly time efficient. Research done by leading sports scientists has shown the extraordinary impact that ultra short bursts of high intensity intermittent training can have, whether you are an athlete or a sedentary couch potato. In Fast Exercise, Michael Mosley, a sloth, teams up with super-fit health journalist Peta Bee to dispel myths and show you how to get the most out of exercise, whatever your age or level of fitness. They offer practical, science based advice and a range of novel work outs designed for the time-starved generation. Workouts that can be done anywhere, anytime and which fit unobtrusively into even the busiest day. This is a book for those, like Michael, who don't enjoy exercising but want to lose fat and stay healthy. It is for those, like Peta, who love exercise and want to get the most from it. It is also for those who are simply curious about how their bodies work"

Not sure that we are 'the time-starved generation'.
Isn't it at least just as good to exercise gently in ways you enjoy (gardening, walking, tennis and zumba in my case)?
High intensity sounds rather off-putting and I share Jingl's concern about the risks.

jinglbellrocks Mon 30-Dec-13 20:44:35

The experts will always advise, "consult your doctor before embarking on an exercise regime/weight loss diet", but how many people actually do this?

Gally Tue 31-Dec-13 01:45:57

I saw some crazy person one on a TV programme last year doing this fast exercise and looking like death in the process - I think it was probably you? Now, I do believe in the benefits of the 5:2 diet, but to exercise like this seems somewhat odd, nay dangerous and I don't think I will be taking it up any time soon. I shall just plod on with walking, cycling, gardening and maybe a little gentle zumba'ing, unless you can persuade me otherwise!wink

jinglbellrocks Tue 31-Dec-13 09:13:59

Gally, I am so tempted to say "beware persuasive experts".

Isn't it better to listen to our own bodies?

janeainsworth Tue 31-Dec-13 10:17:55

Yes Jingl but given that more than a quarter of the population are clinically obese (according to today's paper), there are obviously none so deaf as those who won't hear wink

thatbags Tue 31-Dec-13 10:22:14

Energetic activity makes one hungry. It's not a good way to lose weight. Steady, regular, gentle exercise is better, and eating less. This is just another quick fix idea that will fix nothing, like all its predecessors.

jinglbellrocks Tue 31-Dec-13 10:26:25

Aren't they the ones who should be on s-l-o-www exercise Jane? Please!!! grin

jinglbellrocks Tue 31-Dec-13 10:30:38

Mr Mosley, with your dietician' s hat on can you please tell me why eating extremely chocolatey chocolate biscuits with my bowl of healthy porridge for breakfast, makes me go all hot. Is it only guilt or is it physiological?

janeainsworth Tue 31-Dec-13 11:19:44

Of course Jingl ! grin

Tegan Tue 31-Dec-13 12:04:23

Going into town in a bit so will buy both books [the 5:2 diet one and the exercise one] so I can see what they say. Will start the day after tomorrow. Struggling with going to the gym at the moment with my poorly foot and felt so much better when I was doing an hour of quite strenuous gym work so interested to see if I can compress that into something quicker that I can do at home. I've never seen a programme on telly that Michael Moseley has done that hasn't made a lot of sense so I'm prepared to give this exercise one a go. Itmight save me a fortune in gym fees as well wink.

jinglbellrocks Tue 31-Dec-13 12:32:38

Ker-chinggg!!! smile

Tegan Tue 31-Dec-13 17:28:07

Right; got both books [second one half price at Waterstones]. 5:2 diet I can do. Exercise looks a problem [have only scanned it as yet]. Seems ok if you have an exercise bike [which I don't have]. Cross trainer [I have access to one but it causes problems with my knees]. Can't skip [knees again] or run [ditto]. I know a lot of horse trainers switched to a form of training called 'interval training' which is now widely used, and I feel this book works on the same principle. Will start reading it tonight but think it will only strengthen my resolve to stick with going to the gym more often [there is a 20 minute aerobic circuit that I do]. Mention of resistance bands and weights look interesting [might be more do able with mutant feet/knees].

Galen Tue 31-Dec-13 17:48:22

I'm not a horse!

Tegan Tue 31-Dec-13 18:06:54

We can overcome minor details like that..[I think]...

jinglbellrocks Tue 31-Dec-13 18:10:56

I've got a resistance band! I use it cover the bit on my exercise bike that tells me how much longer I have to keep going for as it can be disheartening.

Tegan Tue 31-Dec-13 18:14:54

Home and hosed, jings [although bit concerned that the apparatus sounds like an enormous catapult]...shock