Gransnet forums

Webchats

Raymond and Oli Blanc webchat 3 February

(60 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Jan-14 11:53:34

Entirely self taught, Raymond Blanc is now one of the world's leading chefs. He has brought his passion for exquisite French cuisine to the UK and has a number of restaurants across the country including his famous two Michelin starred restaurant Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons.

Raymond's son, Olivier Blanc, was educated at Millfield School before reading English at Leeds University. He went straight into working in television and film as a runner before becoming an assistant director. He then went to New York and completed a director's course at the New York Film Academy. Once back in the UK he returned briefly to television and film before completing an actor's course at Drama Studio London. Olivier continued to act for five years working primarily in television and theatre. He then began to create the Henri Le Worm story world and characters, as a hobby which soon became an all consuming job.

Henri le Worm and his Amazing Cooking Adventures is a series of interactive apps that encourage children and adults alike to connect with food and nature in a positive and playful way. The App is the brain child of Raymond Blanc;s son Oli and his talented business partner the actress Charlotte Salt. The user is immersed in a magical world of fantastic bugs and insects voiced by Simon Pegg. Raymond Blanc has developed the recipes within the app which deliver easy, fun and nutritious meals for the family to enjoy.

Put your questions forward to Raymond and Oli here - they'll be joining us on Monday 3 February 3-4pm.

cinnamonstix Mon 20-Jan-14 11:57:18

Hi. Can you recommend any French recipes that's 1) easy to cook at home 2) that would be a good to introduction to French foods for children?

Brabant Fri 24-Jan-14 12:16:34

French women don't get fat....... er, well I became French in 2009 but I am still inclined to put on weight! Sigh. I live most of the time in France and revel in stunning food from even the most basic local resto. Is Henri le Worm up for a few weight control tips without dishing the salt butter and wine?

granjura Sun 26-Jan-14 11:53:36

Bonjour Raymond et Olivier et Bonne Année de Franche-Comté.
I live near Pontarlier but was in the UK for nearly 40 years- and was always interested in your use of local products from the Jura. Could you tell me what your favourite local French 'terroir' products from the Franche-Comté area of your birth you truly love.

Meilleures salutations Odile

cheesepuff Mon 27-Jan-14 13:01:43

How are you finding working together? Are you going to be a dynasty like the Rouxs?

dorish Mon 27-Jan-14 15:09:04

Very tempted to get the app but can you give me an idea of the sort of recipes it contains?

dorish Mon 27-Jan-14 15:13:19

Also if I am permitted a second question

We are always told that the French have a very dim view of British food. Is this really true and is it changing? I think things are pretty good here now

granjura Mon 27-Jan-14 17:43:41

By the way, whenever I go to Besançon, I always look around for your mum Raymond. Saying that women in France to not get fat- as you know there are plenty of big women in rural Franche-Comté smile But your mum is so small and petite- and I'm sure I'd recognize her if I met her smile

granjura Tue 28-Jan-14 12:11:36

Made me smile recently to see that 'saucisse de Morteau' a local produce, is becoming fashionable in the UK. First came about it at Hambleton Hall, a few years ago- and we really laughed as it was served to us as a very fancy starter, with lentils, toast and a balsamic reduction- but also a a small café we visit in Leicester, Mrs Bridge's, where one of my ex students is the Chef (taught French). Do you use 'saucisse de Morteau' yourself?

somewherehot Tue 28-Jan-14 14:52:53

Can I ask what, in your view, are the best English dishes? Also, when I was (much) younger and a teenager, I stayed with a French family for a couple of weeks to learn French. The contrast between the mother's omelette and my own mother's was incredible - i don't really even like eggs, but she just made it taste so wonderful (sorry mum!). How do French people do this?!!

iMac Tue 28-Jan-14 16:50:25

What do you both make of Ludo Lefebvre as a judge on The Taste? Would you be interested in judging in the next series?

bethannie Tue 28-Jan-14 17:41:46

The Restaurant was one of my favourite TV programmes. Will it ever come back do you think? Did you enjoy being a judge?

nicky68 Tue 28-Jan-14 17:43:21

Hi Raymond. My husband has promised that one day he will take me to Le Manoir. I am dying to do - it looks amazing - but I am quite fussy and scared that the food will be too fancy for me. Can you reassure me before he changes his mind and takes me to Pizza Hut instead?

granjura Tue 28-Jan-14 19:07:49

Great post Nicky. I've been dreaming of going ever since it was open- but I know I'd be so disappointed if I don't get a chance for a good chat about our common native area. So Raymon, what chance of ever actually meeting you when going to the Manoir when we next visit the UK?

chelsss Thu 30-Jan-14 17:11:16

Who came up with the name 'Henri Le Worm' ? Oli or Charlotte?

rosesarered Fri 31-Jan-14 14:52:55

Hello,
my 8 yr old Grandson is autistic and obsessed with worms; as in, he loves them, and I have to make up 'worm stories' all the time.So, they are a family who live in my garden, parents and 2 children. Daddy worm is very brave and likes having dangerous adventures. Am running out of steam with them though, so what you have created is 'just the job'!
Because Grandson doesn't eat much , do you have a very simple easy to eat recipe [no lumps or much chewing needed] that I could make for his supper. He likes strong flavours. Thank you.

wolfie Mon 03-Feb-14 10:43:23

Following on from chelsss' question I wondered why a worm? I have never thought of worms as gastronomic experts although in this I may be quite wrong grin

CaffeineAddict Mon 03-Feb-14 13:01:40

Hi Raymond and Oli. Who is your favourite chef?

Hearmeroar Mon 03-Feb-14 13:09:22

Your tweet about the Great British Back Off where you said, “The Great British Bake Off. Not much skills, female tears and a winner so thin who makes me doubt of her love for great cooking, baking.” - did you expect to receive the reaction you did? Do you think your comment was slightly misogynistic?

Marthamuffin Mon 03-Feb-14 13:25:55

Raymond I am interested to know how you got your kids cooking? Also curious to know at what stage to give them new tasks (cutting) and to let them near hot pans?

Galen Mon 03-Feb-14 13:35:02

I adore French cooking. Have you a good recipe for a sauce Robert as it's one of my favourites.

granjura Mon 03-Feb-14 14:20:00

Raymond- we are having a discussion about the school lunches in the UK. Considering Jamie's study of those school lunches- what do you think about the issue? Should strict school uniform be more important than healthy food- from a French point of view?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Feb-14 15:00:41

Delighted that Raymond and Oli are here and ready to answer your questions - so without further ado... Was going to write the next bit in French but I think has been too long since my schooldays...so...er - over to them!

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:05:42

cinnamonstix

Hi. Can you recommend any French recipes that's 1) easy to cook at home 2) that would be a good to introduction to French foods for children?

So pancakes stuffed with spinach gratinated with comte cheese - delicious. It's a fantastic recipe as your child can make the pancake mix and chop the spinach (under supervision!) and the roll the pancake with the filling. It will be the next recipe going on the app so this is a preview!

RaymondBlanc Mon 03-Feb-14 15:07:44

Brabant

French women don't get fat....... er, well I became French in 2009 but I am still inclined to put on weight! Sigh. I live most of the time in France and revel in stunning food from even the most basic local resto. Is Henri le Worm up for a few weight control tips without dishing the salt butter and wine?

One glass a wine a day is better than six! Again, butter - just use a little and most important, do not eat after 7-o-clock in the evening. That's a big tip because most people eat more at night and that's when you put the weight on. Be aware of your snacks as well.