Gransnet forums

Webchats

John Torode webchat Thurs 10th Sept 3pm

(86 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 27-Aug-15 11:14:31

John Torode is well known to us as the Masterchef. We’ve seen him taste, comment, correct and encourage as contestants hang on his every word.

But what does he actually like to cook himself? This is your chance to ask him. The man himself will be coming in to GNHQ on Thurs 10th Sept at 3pm for a webchat to answer your questions and talk about his new book My Kind of Food.

Do post a question in the meantime.

We have signed copies to give away to three lucky posters.

grannyhubbard Thu 27-Aug-15 14:48:25

Hello John! Big fan of the show.

One food related query:
What's your go-to comfort food dish?

One other question:
Your hair is now grey. But I'm sure it was dark when the series began, yes? What made you decide to embrace the grey? Does being on TV make you more image conscious?

Teetime Fri 28-Aug-15 09:15:48

I would really like to see you with your own show (without Greg) any chance of that happening?

Spidergran5 Fri 28-Aug-15 11:14:05

What cheese is best for a sandwich? Tell me how I can make two slices of bread more interesting. Lunches are very dull these days.

Spidergran5 Fri 28-Aug-15 11:14:32

Oh and MacDonalds or Burger King? grin

whenim64 Fri 28-Aug-15 11:50:24

John, I was fascinated by your trip to South America and the BBQ demonstrations of those big pieces of beef. Have you changed the way you cook any other kinds of meat since that trip?

PS do us all a favour and elbow Gregg! He's way past his use by date grin

sophie56 Sat 29-Aug-15 15:18:38

What is your favourite childhood food memory - mine is my Grandma's shepherd's pie with home gown runner beans followed by apple crumble and custard.

ruthie1thom Sat 29-Aug-15 18:26:12

Hi John
How was your weekend at Bolton Food & Drinks festival? Did you try any of the food that was for sale? If so what was your favourite?
Ruth

lornajk Sat 29-Aug-15 21:33:03

Will we get to see you in the upcoming new series of Masterchef Australia? :-)

peanutmum Sat 29-Aug-15 23:47:34

What 5 food items would you always have in your fridge ?????

I think your fridge tells a lot about you

nursey71 Sun 30-Aug-15 08:32:51

Australians are famous for creating great fusion food. What is your favourite fusion recipe?

barrypage Sun 30-Aug-15 13:04:59

Food wise what has been the most inspiring country you've visited...?

Funkyferret Sun 30-Aug-15 15:47:46

If you were cooking for vegetarians, what would you serve?

Gagagran Mon 31-Aug-15 08:24:31

What do you have to eat when you can't be bothered to cook?

GeminiJen Mon 31-Aug-15 09:52:36

Hello John
Another big fan here!
My question is: If you were planning an extra special celebration meal...
* What would you eat?
* Where?
* Who would prepare it?
* Who would you invite as your guests....
* and Why?

Leah50 Mon 31-Aug-15 10:01:31

Do you have a favourite marinade recipe for BBQ'd vegetables?

Pumpkin Mon 31-Aug-15 10:41:38

Hi John, Really love the show, Have you ever owned a restaurant, or is there a venue where I can taste some of your cooking, as its very difficult to Judge the true taste of a recipe as every one has different types of taste buds, likes and dislikes. Any plans to launch a Waitrose cookery Demo, If so I will be FIRST IN LINE - wink

laura233 Mon 31-Aug-15 14:04:59

Hi John,

I've always had trouble trying to get rice really sticky. I cook it in a bamboo steamer for a good half hour but it never quite does the job. Do you have any tips? Many thanks!

boo2410 Mon 31-Aug-15 14:07:56

Hellooo John, tell me what is your failsafe superquick creation for a starving family when time is short that doesn't involve oven chips and some sort of freezer chicken!!! Many thanks. Boo.

bumblebee Mon 31-Aug-15 14:17:08

Hi John,
A somewhat quirky question for you, to break from the norm ... If you were transported to a desert island for 2 weeks, and you could have a maximum of 6 different types of food or drink with you, what would you take? (the quantities of each would be enough to last you the fortnight, and cooking/heating appliances would be made available).

smile

mbody Mon 31-Aug-15 16:21:02

Please tell me how I can get good Yorkshire Puddings. Mine are either flat and crisp or the bottom stays in the pan!

Maggiemaybe Mon 31-Aug-15 16:51:19

Aunt Bessie's, mbody, around £1.50 for 12. I gave up years ago.

NotTooOld Mon 31-Aug-15 16:59:50

Maggemaybe has beaten me to it. Aunt Bessie's is the way to go. Success every time.

littleowl Tue 01-Sep-15 07:38:01

Hi John,
Big fan here. We watch every Masterchef programme. My question is, which Masterchef dish was the best ever and which was the worst.
Also, has there been a contestant that, in your opinion, was a winner from the word 'go' .
Love it when you introduce some Aussie-speak, like 'That's a ripper!' More please.

Nelly Tue 01-Sep-15 16:12:57

Hi John, thanks for answering our questions.

I love roasting vegetables in the oven and sometimes get a lovely caramelised bunch of them (what I aim for!) but more often than not, just get a watery, bland mess sad. Can you tell me where I'm going wrong?