Gransnet forums

Webchats

Paying for elderly care: Q&A with Which? Elderly Care

(37 Posts)
MiniMouse Tue 22-Mar-16 10:48:50

The most worrying aspect can occur when someone has to go into care and a decision has to be made regarding 'Continuing Care', particularly if the person needing care is a home-owner.

There is a massive backlog of hundreds of cases in Sussex regarding people not being properly assessed at the correct time and families having to fight to get an assessment done. This has left families paying out of their own pockets, believing that when the assessment is done they will be reimbursed, but waiting years for a final decision - and then finding that they do not qualify for reimbursement. Others have sold the person's home in a frantic rush, at a knockdown price just to release the money within the three month time limit that has been foisted on them (This was on BBC Radio Sussex this morning)

What should families do in this situation?

Kjnicholl Tue 22-Mar-16 10:27:39

My Mum has recently been diagnosed with mixed dementia and I want her to come and live with me. If we sell her property and hold the money in case of her eventually needing to go into a care home, can I draw an income from the proceeds of the sale to cover the cost of caring for her myself?

SueGWarks Mon 21-Mar-16 20:11:29

I've read recently about investing in a buy-to-let room in a care home which you can then use yourself when the time comes. Is this a good idea and a safe investment? We are thinking of down sizing in the near future and wondered if this might be a solution to care home fees.

DollyTed Mon 21-Mar-16 15:12:31

My husband will soon be needing to be moved to a nursing home. We have no savings to speak of. I will be staying in our home. If I should die would my husbands fees then have to come from the sale of the house? Or, if I needed to go into care while my husband is alive and in care, would the house be used for both our fees? Thank you.

grannybuy Mon 21-Mar-16 12:22:02

When the local authority charge, does any money in the name of the 'fit' spouse come into the case? (Scotland)

Dandibelle Mon 21-Mar-16 12:15:52

What is the difference between attendance allowance and care allowance. Can both be claimed or just one or the other?

BibiB Mon 21-Mar-16 11:44:39

Alex, I've been paying a third party contribution of £886 per month for my mother's residential home since last July. It is financially crippling and was sneaked in under my radar by the local authority without me realising what I was letting myself in for. I've asked for a review and they have agreed. Is there any chance I could get back the money I have already paid, over five grand!?

SpeedyEdi Mon 21-Mar-16 11:39:56

I would want to know the position re the purchase of an annuity as well. Can she explain the difference between English and Scots law.

bartonlady Mon 21-Mar-16 11:35:13

Is there any benefit in buying an annuity now for elderly care. My husband is 72 I am 66 years old. We are fit at present but don't have any children. We are concerned that although we have savings and own our own house, we don't want to run out of money in the future and not be able to fund care.

StaffordStag Mon 21-Mar-16 11:34:56

My mother at 98 recently went into a residential home leaving vacant our family home. Whist the building's structure has been well maintained the last time it saw a paint brush was in about 1975! Therefore it is need of serious decorating and to an extent investment in modern heating system etc. In your view is it worth doing the property up and then either selling it or renting it out using the income to offset her Residential fees? If we let it our plan is to manage it on her behalf. I appreciate we would need to take legal advice and conform to all manner of codes of practice etc but letting houses is in the blood for my mother - who is now living comfortably off the proceeds of early years property/letting investment.
In anticipation of your help, thank you.

PB Mon 21-Mar-16 11:33:13

If you have more than the agreed amount of savings, which I believe is £23K+ and find a suitable care home, what happens when you run out of money? Would the local authority move you to a cheaper, maybe less suitable home? This is assuming a spouse is living in the family home.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 21-Mar-16 11:03:45

Alex Neill, Director of Campaigns and Communications at Which? Elderly Care, will be answering your questions on all aspects of financing elderly care, including eligibility for attendance allowance, moving parents into nursing homes, thresholds for when a local authority might pay for care and more.

(Note that Alex can only provide information about practical issues and for specific financial advice will have to recommend people seek advice from an independent financial adviser before making a decision.)

Alex Neill has worked at the consumer champion for over eight years. As a regular spokesperson for our high profile campaigns, she works to make consumers as powerful as the organisations they deal with in their day-to-day lives, and speaks about consumer issues ranging from personal finance to elderly care.

Which? Elderly Care gives free, independent and practical advice about caring for older people across the UK. Aimed at relatives, the site focuses on financing care, housing options and older people's needs, such as dealing with memory problems and accessing local authority and NHS care and support.

There is also a section for family carers, giving information about benefits, the carer's assessment and how to arrange respite care.

A care services directory is searchable by postcode for care homes, domiciliary care providers and local authority services for older people across the UK. In addition, a specially developed tool allows users to narrow down the wide-ranging information on the site to suit their particular needs.

Add your questions for Alex Neill by midday on 4 April and we'll have the answers up shortly after.