Gransnet forums

Webchats

Makeup Q&A with Look Fabulous Forever

(36 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Apr-16 10:01:13

Whether you're stumped on which makeup products to buy, or just not sure how to make best use of the ones you have, we'll have Look Fabulous Forever's Tricia Cusden on hand to answer all your makeup application queries.

Tricia Cusden is founder and MD of Look Fabulous Forever, a makeup brand with a range of products specifically formulated for older eyes, faces and lips. The brand has a strong pro-age philosophy - it's Tricia's belief that age is no barrier to looking and feeling fabulous. Having been a makeup junkie her whole life, she re-trained as a makeup artist and started Look Fabulous Forever in 2013 with a hunch that there would be other women like her who were struggling to find products which worked on their skin now it was older. With customers in over 30 countries, and 1.7m views on the LFF YouTube channel, she is delighted to say her hunch was right!

Add your questions to the thread below by noon on 15 April and check back shortly after for Tricia's answers to your makeup conundrums...

bluebellgray Mon 04-Apr-16 17:45:26

My query relates to summer holiday makeup! What do you suggest for skin cover i.e. foundation/make up for everyday and daytime wear on holiday?

I don't tend to sunbathe any more these days [ usual concerns about skin damage, burning and skin cancer etc etc] but it would be helpful to know how to look ok
during the day! Evenings not a problem, as do the full caboodle then!!

Many thanks

f77ms Mon 04-Apr-16 19:17:00

I would love to use a liquid eyeliner but I can`t get the line straight or thin , any tips ?

NanKate Mon 04-Apr-16 22:14:32

I find it hard to choose the correct colour for my foundation. I do know that anything with a yellow base makes me look sallow and it suits me to have a pink base.

Also are primers worth trying please ?

glassortwo Tue 05-Apr-16 20:21:30

I have tried many foundations and cant find one to suit, my skin must have changed drastically as I never seemed to have any problems when I was younger. Have you any advice on what to consider when choosing a foundation?
Thank you

Craftycat Thu 07-Apr-16 10:35:01

What do you do if you have really very little eyebrow hairs at all left ( I never plucked!). I have tried all sorts of powders, crayons, liquid ( including LFF which is too dark for me) etc. but nothing looks natural. I am far too scared to try having them tattooed on.

Am I doomed to look permanently surprised?

silva123 Thu 07-Apr-16 10:50:44

Hello,

I am super-allergic to make-up and can't tolerate most brands of mascara, eye shadow and liner. I would look much better if I could find products that suit me, any suggestions?

Many thanks!

GrAnne2 Thu 07-Apr-16 10:58:46

Contact lens wearer with eyes that seem more sensitive as I age! Need a mascara that looks natural (I just want colour as my eyelashes are fair) and doesn't shed 'bits'. I did like a Clinique one but I think they've changed the formulation as it now seems to 'shed' as well ...

grannyJillyT Thu 07-Apr-16 13:28:02

Why is the minimum spend on her products £50? I would buy the products but can't afford the minimum spend everytime. sad

Bluey Thu 07-Apr-16 15:50:45

I have one eye bigger than the other and because of eye drops in one the lashes in that one are lovely but sparse in the smaller one. How can I even them up and is there a non allergic mascara please.

AdeleJay Sat 09-Apr-16 11:04:49

How do you disguise dark marks (a result of HRT used when I was going through the menopause)

grandmac Sat 09-Apr-16 20:54:19

Hallo tricia
I recently purchased the LFF Face Collection and Eye Collection. I especially love the face primer and the mascara. I am definitely a 'cool' person and chose the 02 base colour, but I'm not sure its the right shade as it seems to make my skin look sallow. Should I try the 03 base?
Thank you

Genevieve489 Sun 10-Apr-16 14:35:41

I'm a natural redhead, although I now have grey highlights! I appreciate the help you have on your website for choosing products for warm skin tones, but what is the best way to choose a base colour?

Do you provide samples of the base to try at home, before ordering?

NanKate Wed 13-Apr-16 15:59:14

Another question Tricia please.

I see you carefully choose your tops and jewellery to complement the lovely make-up. On your website under the heading 'How to choose the right products' you are wearing a pretty pink sweater and fabulous grey necklace that looks like a train track, I mean that nicely. Could you tell me the make of jewellery please as I think it would be perfect to go with my 70th Birthday outfit in September ? Many thanks.

Fuchsia57 Thu 14-Apr-16 20:00:32

I have very deep set eyes..any suggestions about how to do eye make up would be great. Thanks

NanSue Thu 14-Apr-16 21:36:44

I purchased the 02 base foundation but it was too light so I changed it for the 03. I have kept it but still not sure it's right for me. I do feel it would be much simpler for the customer if you provided samples.

TriciaCusden Mon 18-Apr-16 14:07:17

bluebellgray

My query relates to summer holiday makeup! What do you suggest for skin cover i.e. foundation/make up for everyday and daytime wear on holiday?

I don't tend to sunbathe any more these days [ usual concerns about skin damage, burning and skin cancer etc etc] but it would be helpful to know how to look ok
during the day! Evenings not a problem, as do the full caboodle then!!

Many thanks

If you have really good skin I'd choose a tinted moisturiser (Clarins/Bobbi Brown) on top of sunscreen. If, however you have uneven skin tone, any blemishes or age spots then mix a small amount of bronze coloured tint (Guerlain/Estee Lauder) with a small amount of your usual foundation and apply to give greater coverage. Just add creamy blusher (Look Fabulous Forever), mascara and lipstick so that cheeks, eyes and lips have some colour and definition.

TriciaCusden Mon 18-Apr-16 14:08:30

f77ms

I would love to use a liquid eyeliner but I can`t get the line straight or thin , any tips ?

Use an eye prime to smooth eyelids and create a base. We have an eyebrow product called Brow Shape which comes with very fine brush. I also use this to create an extremely fine line along my lashes. It's ace!

TriciaCusden Mon 18-Apr-16 14:11:16

NanKate

I find it hard to choose the correct colour for my foundation. I do know that anything with a yellow base makes me look sallow and it suits me to have a pink base.

Also are primers worth trying please ?

Always test foundation on the jawline (not the back of the hand). It needs to be close to your natural skin tone but not an absolute match. A good foundation covers small imperfections, evens skin tone and adds a slight warmth to the skin. Primers are brilliant on older skin, creating a lovely smooth surface for foundation and also ensuring makeup stays fresh-looking for hours on end. Apply over moisturiser and you can also mix a pea-sized amount of primer with your foundation and apply it together.

TriciaCusden Mon 18-Apr-16 14:14:14

glassortwo

I have tried many foundations and cant find one to suit, my skin must have changed drastically as I never seemed to have any problems when I was younger. Have you any advice on what to consider when choosing a foundation?
Thank you

When I chose the foundation for the Look Fabulous Forever range I had several key requirements. First it had to be in a creamy formulation which looks softer on skin with fine lines, crow’s feet etc. Secondly it had to cover well enough to even the skin tone without looking like a mask. Thirdly it had to last well and not disappear after a couple of hours. Our Fabulous Base effortlessly ticks all those boxes and I am thrilled that it's now a best seller for us and our customers invariably give it 5 stars!

TriciaCusden Mon 18-Apr-16 14:15:09

Craftycat

What do you do if you have really very little eyebrow hairs at all left ( I never plucked!). I have tried all sorts of powders, crayons, liquid ( including LFF which is too dark for me) etc. but nothing looks natural. I am far too scared to try having them tattooed on.

Am I doomed to look permanently surprised?

I'd love to have another go at using the LFF Brow Shape on you to see if I could show you a better way to apply it. I came up with this product for my sister in law who has absolutely no brows due to a thyroid problem. She's also very fair. The Brow Shape - used very very lightly (and adjusted with the eyebrow brush 06) looks amazing on her and very like real eyebrows. If you'd like to contact me direct via the website I will try and help you some more.

TriciaCusden Mon 18-Apr-16 14:17:53

silva123

Hello,

I am super-allergic to make-up and can't tolerate most brands of mascara, eye shadow and liner. I would look much better if I could find products that suit me, any suggestions?

Many thanks!

This is always a tricky one because reactions to various ingredients are very personal and also quite unpredictable. Unless you know your particular trigger it's always going to be trial and error. We have customers who say "I'm sensitive to some brands but not yours” and others who are sensitive to one product but not another. We have a no quibble returns policy so at least you won't waste your money if you cannot get on with an eye product in our range.

TriciaCusden Mon 18-Apr-16 14:18:41

GrAnne2

Contact lens wearer with eyes that seem more sensitive as I age! Need a mascara that looks natural (I just want colour as my eyelashes are fair) and doesn't shed 'bits'. I did like a Clinique one but I think they've changed the formulation as it now seems to 'shed' as well ...

I asked our cosmetic manufacturer to make us a mascara with no lengthening, thickening or volumising agents (those pesky ‘bits’) because older, sparser eyelashes look scary when they are all spiky. Ours leaves them soft and silky but well defined.

TriciaCusden Mon 18-Apr-16 14:19:51

Bluey

I have one eye bigger than the other and because of eye drops in one the lashes in that one are lovely but sparse in the smaller one. How can I even them up and is there a non allergic mascara please.

You can do a lot with eye makeup to create illusions of size and shape etc. We have several eye makeup videos which will show you good techniques to make the smaller eye look better. Have you heard of a product called Revitalash? Might be worth a try to improve the thickness of the thinner lashes, although it's not cheap. I'd try Clinique for a hypo-allergenic mascara.

TriciaCusden Mon 18-Apr-16 14:21:41

AdeleJay

How do you disguise dark marks (a result of HRT used when I was going through the menopause)

There's two main ways to camouflage darker patches on skin. A good foundation will start the process to create a unified skin colour and then a good rich creamy concealer (not YSL Touche Eclat) will work wonders to cover the remaining darker patches. I have acne rosacea - so do look at the video I have made of me applying my own face makeup to see how I cover the blotches, blemishes and discolouration!