Gransnet forums

Webchats

How to have a harmonious Christmas Q&A

(64 Posts)
Christinefrance Tue 29-Nov-16 07:57:07

I agree too much hype and an expectation that families will all put aside their problems for a while. Not going to happen, we are living in a stressful age and it takes its toll. Like Izabella we are having Christmas at home and leaving the families to it. Parcel of new books, bottle of Baileys and whatever takes our fancy to eat, bliss.

thatbags Tue 29-Nov-16 07:52:52

Are people really silly enough to try and live up to the 'standards' of glossy magazines and TV ads? If they are, what the fuck do they expect except disappointment?

Of they are, they need help to build some feistiness, which roughly translates as "farting at fashion fads".

MiniMouse Mon 28-Nov-16 20:58:06

No sherry? shock What are we going to put in the trifle?

Jalima Mon 28-Nov-16 20:08:11

How to have a harmonious Christmas

Don't let the Grannies loose on the sherry.

Jalima Mon 28-Nov-16 20:07:24

I think Cari meant the turkey that they are going to cook on the GN site for all of us, so far they have only given us roast chicken roastchicken

Candlefran Mon 28-Nov-16 19:08:22

Well spotted MiniMouse! ?

#baddayattheoffice

whitewave Mon 28-Nov-16 19:03:27

When is all said and done, it is only a roast. We often have a roast chicken with say a steamed type of pudding, so this is really like Christmas without the decorations. This year there will be 6 of us so not unmanageable, just a relaxed and pleasant day, with son, dil, her mum and my mum.

Boxing Day is the dogs Christmas Day with a long walk and family -3 dogs- and then back to ours with present exchange with daughter and sil and grandsons, and a buffet and perhaps board games or a film. Nothing elaborate or ambitious just a cool time!!

J52 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:53:12

I never buy the Christmas editions of magazines. Every year the headlines are 'your best Christmas yet' or some such nonsense!

All they do, is make people feel inadequate.

MiniMouse Mon 28-Nov-16 18:29:34

Ahem Cari - site? Or sight?!!

Bobbysgirl19 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:49:29

I really think these adverts of a perfect Xmas have a lot to answer for, real life isn't at all like that. Too much hype, and brainwashing going on. My advice to myself this year is to chill and lower my expectations.

vampirequeen Mon 28-Nov-16 17:37:21

Don't expect it to be perfect. The things you see on the adverts aren't real.

Izabella Mon 28-Nov-16 16:56:09

We shall resolve ours by staying at home and leaving them to it. We shall no doubt hear about the shenanigans in due course.

Jalima Mon 28-Nov-16 15:30:47

I could stay off GN for a couple of weeks.

Oh - that's not what you mean wink

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 28-Nov-16 11:53:59

While the adverts will have you believe everyone else's Christmas is harmonious and joyful with not a burnt turkey in sight, we all know that the reality can quite often be miscommunications, hurt feelings and at worst family breakdowns. So how can you avoid any unnecessary drama? If you've got a particular situation brewing that you'd like advice on, do post it on this Q&A.

The knowledgeable folk at Relate have offered to answer your queries. Add them here before midday on Monday 12 December