Gransnet forums

Webchats

Q&A - Women Against State Pension Inequality (WASPI)

(91 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Sep-17 14:48:11

As many of you will already know from the various discussions we've had on the subject, WASPI is a campaigning group representing almost 3.5 million women born in the 1950s who have been negatively impacted by the lack of notification of the increases in their State Pension age.

WASPI is campaigning to end the huge financial difficulties suffered by this group of women because of the way the changes in the 1995 and 2011 Pension Acts were implemented. Successive Governments did not give the women affected by these changes sufficient notice that their State Pension age would be increasing, meaning that WASPI women have had no time to put in place alternative financial arrangements to see them through to the new state retirement age. Some women have lost as much as £45,000.

Founded by just five ordinary women in 2015, the WASPI movement has grown and now has over 70,000 supporters and 140 local groups across the UK. WASPI has secured support from the Labour, SNP, DUP and Women and Equalities parties and has raised £100,000 through CrowdJustice to fund an initial legal campaign.

Jane Cowley is Communications and PR Director for WASPI and has directed the Women Against State Pension Inequality Campaign since 2016. Like so many WASPI women, Jane heard in 2011, only after she had taken early retirement, that she would not receive her pension until she was nearly 66.

If you would like to ask Jane about any aspect of WASPI's work, aims and/or anything else to do with pension inequality, simply add your question to this thread before Monday, 25 September.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Sep-17 14:35:41

Questions being sent over shortly - answers coming up as soon as we have them

Maggiemaybe Wed 27-Sep-17 08:38:24

I have a quick question if it's not too late. Even though I'm a member, I'd like to know why WASPI is so against the "cost neutral" option that occasionally crops up, whereby both women and men could opt to take a reduced pension from an earlier age. It's not compensation (presumably the fight for this would go on), and in a purely financial sense there would be losers (who lived to a ripe old age on that smaller pension) and winners (who died sooner, but at least had their pension for a couple of extra years). It's a system that's already offered in other countries, notably Germany. I feel that for some women, particularly those with health issues that give them a shorter life expectancy, this might be a choice they'd like to have.

Primrose65 Thu 28-Sep-17 20:17:00

A question for GN - any idea when the answers are going to be provided?

glassortwo Thu 28-Sep-17 23:06:34

I am 1956 woman so have to wait until 2022 for my pension, but I feel the Waspi ask is not realistic and TM an the government wont even look at it.
We need to join forces as we are stronger in number and remember that we paid in our contributions and employers have paid in to the fund. Its is our money and the government have stolen what is ours!
Look on Facebook for the many groups that are fighting this pension injustice.

Chewbacca Thu 28-Sep-17 23:25:13

I received a response to the petition that I signed a few weeks ago. This is part of the response that I received today. Broadly, it says that the government have no intention of making any allowances at all.

^ Failing to act in light of compelling demographic evidence would have been irresponsible and would have placed an unfair fiscal burden on the working population.^

The Government has done a huge amount to improve pensions for all, particularly women. Future women pensioners stand to benefit on average from a higher new State Pension payment, from the expansion of Automatic Enrolment, and our Fuller Working Lives strategy. And a woman retiring today can still expect to receive the State Pension for over 24.5 years on average – three years longer than men. If State Pension ages had not been equalised, women would be expected to spend over 40% of their adult life in retirement.

durhamjen Thu 28-Sep-17 23:43:55

"Since 1995 the Government has gone to significant lengths to communicate SPa changes. There will be no further concessions on this issue to avoid placing an unfair burden on working age people. "

Still only 61,000+ signatures, so get others to sign up if you want it debated properly.

WASPI Wed 18-Oct-17 12:45:11

GranJan60

Very confused since Carolyn Harris's latest efforts to help. Is this now just for women born 1953 or earlier? I am 63 and redundant 3 years ago. Unable to get another job though qualified, I got only 6m JSA and am now reliant on my husband's pension. NO income of my own for another 2.5 years, after 45 years of work. Disgusting to be abandoned by Government to life with no independence or self respect.

WASPI campaigns for all 1950s born women affected by the mismanagement of State Pension Age rises. There have been some reports in the media of a solution proposed by the Labour Party that may not encompass the whole group of 1950s women. WASPI has been clear that it will not accept this. We are working closely with Labour leadership to get a solution that works for everyone.

WASPI Wed 18-Oct-17 12:49:00

Ilovecheese

Are WASPI also highlighting the fact that the number of qualifying years has also increased from 30 to 35. So that while we thought we had enough years to get the full pension if we had 30 years, we then found out we had to pay extra?

The WASPI Campaign has launched a mass action complaint against the Department for Work and Pensions on the basis that 1950s women were not given adequate notice about changes to their State Pension Age. As you correctly mention, there are other changes that were potentially unfair for some women during this period, including the rules surrounding National Insurance contributions; Pension Credit; and contracting out.

We have been encouraging women affected by these changes to include them in their complaint to the Department for Work and Pensions. We also continue to raise this issue in our discussions with Parliamentarians, and our on-going media work.

WASPI Wed 18-Oct-17 12:52:17

gillybob

I'm 55, not in the best of health and feel like I will be working until I drop dead. The goal posts are forever moving. My husband is 10 years older than me and we hoped he could work until 70 and we could retire together when I was 60. Sadly no longer to be with my projected retirement age now set st 67.5. It's not fair .

WASPI agrees that the State Pension Age for women should be brought in line with that of men. However, millions of women born in the 1950s were not given adequate warning of increases to their State Pension Age. This left some women with less than a year to prepare for a six-year change.

This poor communication has meant that many 1950s women are suffering huge financial difficulties because of the changes implemented in the 1995 and 2011 Pension Acts. Some will lose up to £45,000, with no time to put in place alternative financial arrangements to see them through to the new state retirement age.

The lack of notice has also meant that instances in like yours, couples did not have sufficient time to make arrangements to change their work patterns so that they could enjoy retirement together.

WASPI Wed 18-Oct-17 12:55:14

grabba

What has happened to the legal case?

Our lawyers, Bindmans have advised that a mass action complaint against the Department for Work and Pensions is currently the most effective legal avenue to pursue, both in terms of cost and time. This has now been going on for some months, with over 4000 letters sent by WASPI women to the DWP that have got through to the final stage of the complaints process. WASPI is continuing to encourage its members to write to the DWP, with hundreds more letters being sent every week.

WASPI Wed 18-Oct-17 13:04:45

Grannybeth

Is Labour supporting all 50's women. Dawn Butler said in an article on 11th September

"Labour during the General Election called for pension credits to be extended to women affected to help end the plight of the tens of thousands of women abandoned to live in poverty by the Tory Government’s changes to their state pension age"

Read more at: inews.co.uk/opinion/dawn-butler-pledge-waspi-women/

WASPI is campaigning for all 1950s born women affected by the State Pension Age rise mismanagement. As we've previously mentioned, there have been some reports in the media of the Labour Party proposing a solution that may not encompass the whole group of 1950s women. WASPI's been clear that it will not accept this and we're working closely with Labour leadership to reach a solution that works for all.

WASPI Wed 18-Oct-17 13:09:49

GracesGranMK2

I am one of the lucky ones who was born before the WASPI dates but I would like to support the campaign. Is there a legal challenge being made and if so is there anywhere I can contribute?

The WASPI Campaign has launched a mass action complaint against the Department for Work and Pensions on the basis that 1950s women were not given adequate notice about changes to their State Pension Age. As part of this, we are encouraging WASPI women to make a formal complaint to the Department for Work and Pensions on the basis of maladministration.

Although the legal complaint can only be made by women affected, we would ask you to support the campaign by alternative means. You can engage with us on social media, and help us spread the WASPI message, or you could write to your local MP and ask them to support WASPI women in your constituency. You can also donate to our campaign online here:

www.waspi.co.uk/membership

WASPI Wed 18-Oct-17 13:11:50

Dignity56

So many 1950s women have researched the background of the baffling timetable and found statements by Ministers and advisory boards. Waspi Board members don't seem to use this information. Why not pass it along to coordinators and Bindmans ?

WASPI directors are acutely aware of the inadequacies of the timetable of the new State Pension Ages and do bring this information to bear in discussions with MPs. However, the main thrust of our campaign is not to look back at how badly things were done, but to look forward to how we can put things right for WASPI women.

WASPI Wed 18-Oct-17 13:16:56

mrsmopp

I was born in the 1940s, so my pension was payable from age 60. However we needed 40 years contributions for a full pension and not many of us qualified for that due to gaps in working years because of childcare. There was little provision for childcare in the 60s, so most of us had a career break, causing a shortfall in number of qualifying years. I understand now that a NI record can be credited for those years so we have also missed out.

If a wife cannot claim a pension now till age 67, can her husband claim for her on his contributions, or has that been taken away also? Why aren't women MPs making more noise about this?

WASPI are acutely aware of this problem. However, the main drive of our campaign isn't to focus on previous poor performances, but to look forward to how we can amend things for WASPI women.

WASPI Wed 18-Oct-17 13:21:34

WaspiKate

I am a member of WASPI Ltd and have paid money into the crowd funder for legal action to be taken against the government. I have written all the letters proscribed by Bindmans and Waspi and await the outcome BUT this is not legal action against the government, it is a complaint about maladministration of a government department. What is happening about the promised legal action and why are we not being kept informed?

The WASPI campaign raised £100,000 through CrowdJustice to fund an initial legal campaign. We were blown away by the number of WASPI women like yourself willing to reach into their own pockets to fund our activities, showing just how important the campaign is.

The Crowdjustice appeal clearly stated:

“Our initial target will allow us to take advice on judicial review in parallel with preparing materials to assist with maladministration complaints. Our stretch target will provide the start of funding for us to engage in legal correspondence with the DWP and pursue the legal challenges identified through the legal advice we intend to obtain.”

This is how the funds are still being used.

Our lawyers, Bindmans have advised that a mass action complaint against the Department for Work and Pensions is currently the most effective legal avenue to pursue, both in terms of time and cost. Acting under the advice of Bindmans, we are therefore pursuing the maladministration case in the first instance. We are confident that this will give us the best chance of success, and ensure that women affected by State Pension age rises are fully compensated for their loss.

The DWP mass action complaint has now been going on for some months, with over 4000 letters sent by Waspi women to the DWP that have got through to the final stage of the complaints process. WASPI is continuing to encourage its members to write to the DWP, with hundreds more letters being sent every week.

Everyone who has contributed to the Crowdjustice campaign and/or has become a member receives emails keeping them up to date with the legal campaign whenever there is something new to report.

Grannybeth Fri 20-Oct-17 09:55:24

That's not strictly correct. I will receive exactly the same pension at 66 as I would have at 60. All to do with COPE and not losing out

RetiredRGN Mon 23-Oct-17 10:54:12

Chewbacca Im June 1954 and will get mine March 2020 so your 66.5 years is wrong? recheck

Chewbacca Mon 23-Oct-17 21:43:31

I did check it RetiredRGN and you're right, it is 65.5, not 66.5. I corrected it further up thread. I'm still miffed about it though. angry

Day6 Wed 25-Oct-17 11:08:20

Tizliz, the whole thing is extremely confusing and unfair.

You are getting your pension now (October). I am a 54 baby, six months younger than you yet I have to ait until I am 66 before I get mine.

It is so unfair. I have ill health and no disposable income. I am entitled to no benefits to bridge the gap because I have an occupational pension, earned over 30+ years. I too was a single parent bringing up children alone, claiming no benefits and too bogged down in everything to worry about life after work.

I feel so cheated. I didn't want to be a burden on the state. But now in poor health and older I NEED my state pension in order to aid the quality of life. I have been without this pension for three years and have another three years to wait...I am being denied £40,000 and travel concessions which would change my life enormously.

It's not a benefit, it is a pension, a contract we signed when we entered into work, entitling us to a pension at the age of 60. That is what we all paid into and worked towards and we have been robbed.

maryeliza54 Wed 25-Oct-17 14:56:43

Day I don’t quite understand - For Tiziz to get her pension next month ((Nov 17) her birthday must be before 5 September 1953. If you are 6 months younger that puts your birthdate approx March 1954. I thought that if you were born in March 1954 (from 6 onwards) you would get your pension in September 2019 so another 2 not 3 years to wait. I’m not trying to minimise this but won’t it be a little bit sooner than you think or have I misunderstood.

GrandmaMoira Wed 25-Oct-17 15:36:01

The other unfair issue with pensions is not being mentioned much. There is a new higher rate pension being paid to those who retired since last year. All those of us who retired before will continue to receive a lower amount so we have a two tier income level for pensioners.
One other thing for WASPI women, is that most of us started work at 15, so a working life of over 50 years for some mid 50s born women. I think setting a maximum of 50 years would help.

Day6 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:14:51

'I’m not trying to minimise this but won’t it be a little bit sooner than you think or have I misunderstood.'

I shall go and have a look maryeliza. Thank you. I have stuffed all the pension stuff in a drawer in fit of pique. They moved the goal posts twice, didn't they? I remember thinking I will be just a couple of months off 66 before I get anything.

It's still a lot of years to be without the pension I thought I would get three years ago. I don't go to the hairdressers, dentist or optician. I cannot afford to. My children paid for new specs for me for Christmas last year. I found having to ask quite humiliating.

Maggiemaybe Fri 27-Oct-17 00:27:13

GrandmaMoira, the higher rate pension was discussed earlier in this thread. Many of us will not get it, as years in which we were opted out do not count towards it.

It’s very frustrating for WASPI women to be told that well, they may have no state pension or bus pass till they’re 66, but at least they’ll get a higher pension then. Not true for many of us. I will be getting my pension on my 66th birthday in 3 years time, and it will be at the old rate, as this is significantly more than I would get under the new system, with a 41 year NI record.

Harris27 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:42:13

I'm really concerned I'm nearly 58 working in poor paid childcare and have arthritis/ asthma and struggle daily with this, However I've decided to bite the bullet taking painkillers and drugs to combat pain and keep going no choice 66 befire I retire x

Day6 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:31:21

but I feel the Waspi ask is not realistic

I do.
We have paid into our state pension all our working lives.

It is NOT a benefit.
The government has STOLEN from us imo. If any other pension fund provider had done this - moved the goalposts and withheld money that is rightly ours there would be law suits galore.

I agree that we need age equality regarding pensions but the governments argument about how much time women would be on a pension does not hold water for women born in the 1950s who have been cheated out of their entitlement at very short notice and who are now suffering financial distress because they'd factored in state pension when theyd reached the end of their working lives.

I certainly did. I am entitled to no benefit top ups because I have an occupational pension which is 'enough for one person to live on' according to the DSS.

The cost of living has risen and my pension is a tiny, tiny fraction of the salary I earned and used to manage on. I struggle to manage my finances now, and this is not how I envisioned life in my 60s.

I feel very angry about it. Women in their 40s now have plenty of time to adjust. Women in their 60s have been left high and dry by state robbery.