Gransnet forums

Webchats

Camera settings

(7 Posts)
Lindylou23 Tue 27-Nov-18 19:20:23

Are there any photographers or enthusiastic amateur ones,,that can help with tips and settings of taking photos of the northern lights I'm going in January
I have a Nikon camera
Thank you in advance

Izabella Wed 28-Nov-18 10:37:02

First I would suggest you purchase a tripod and a remote cable to prevent unwanted movement of your camera. Then download and print out your settings for the camera to take with you. There will always be other photographers to help you on such trips, but basically look at the following as a basic and tweak as you go along
Go into settings and select manual.
ISO 1600
Aperture f.stop 2.8 ish
Shutter speed around 18-20 seconds
Zoom in/out to get correct focus and shoot using remote cable.
I am not familiar with Nikons so cannot help more specifically but your instruction manual should enable you to work out how to do all the above. The other thing is to set the camera settings up BEFORE you expect the lights. They can last a few seconds only or for much longer. Mother nature makes the decision on that one. Enjoy

Elegran Wed 28-Nov-18 11:00:30

As Izabella says, "set the camera settings up BEFORE you expect the lights." - for one thing, it will (obviously) be dark when you see the lights, and you don't want to be fiddling with settings in the dark and trying to actually SEE the merry dancers as well as photograph them. It could be very cold, too, and your fingers won't be so nimble.

I did a Google search with Northern Lights photography nikon and a whole lot of web pages came up with helpful advice.

It would be a good idea to try a few practice runs beforehand of night shots that include dimly lit clouds or some such thing, to get some experience of handling the camera in similar conditions.

God luck. When I went to Iceland, the only night the lights appeared the weather was so bad that the planned trip out away from street lights had to be cancelled.

janeainsworth Wed 28-Nov-18 12:15:25

This may seem a minor consideration, but I have found fingerless cashmere gloves a godsend when I’ve been out with my camera in the winter!

Lindylou23 Wed 28-Nov-18 13:29:57

Thank you all for the tips, especially the remote cable

Michael12lv Wed 29-Jan-20 14:59:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

alaxendra3 Mon 06-Dec-21 18:09:12

As you are talking about camera settings have you ever tried laptop camera cover to resist dust and scratches on you laptop camera.