Gransnet forums

Webchats

Driving again after a break of 40 years!

(22 Posts)
Rio24 Sun 22-May-22 19:23:24

Hi all. I have my driving license. Circumstances have changed and I’m wondering your thoughts on me taking a refresher course to start driving again after a 40 year break! Thanks (I’m 73! )

Hithere Sun 22-May-22 19:27:37

Please do! A lot has changed

Lovetopaint037 Sun 22-May-22 19:28:56

Sounds a good idea. By the time you have done the course you will know if you still want to do it. Go for it. It will do,you good.

crazyH Sun 22-May-22 19:29:28

Yes, Rio24, I certainly would advise that. Lots of things would have changed in those 40 years. But glad you are going to be back on the road - good luck !

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 22-May-22 19:30:25

Please don’t start driving again without taking a course of lessons. Things are so different now from 40 years ago.

Lark123 Sun 22-May-22 19:37:42

Good for you! I really mean it... When my husband retired, I ( almost literally) took a 'back seat' although I do sit in the front seat!

We don't tend to go far in the car these days and so I've lost my place at the wheel and my confidence along with it.

I highly encourage you to take a refresher course as things have changed in 10 years, never mind 40.

Good the luck to you and enjoy your independence!

gulligranny Sun 22-May-22 19:39:25

Absolutely, go for it. Independence and freedom!

Marmight Sun 22-May-22 19:47:16

I think it’s essential that you take a refresher course. 40 years is a long time and times have changed drastically. Good luck! ?

Mine Sun 22-May-22 20:16:54

"Go For It rio24
Take your driver refresher course and get back on the road
Beep Beep

Rio24 Sun 22-May-22 21:23:06

Thanks all! I’m going to go for it! Watch out road hogs!

Nannarose Sun 22-May-22 21:32:32

yes, a friend did this, and the instructor was very sympathetic and helpful

MawtheMerrier Sun 22-May-22 21:41:53

Have you kept your licence up date? If you are 73 you will presumably have renewed it at least twice (once at 70, then after three years) not including every time you have moved house in the last 40 years.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-May-22 08:48:11

You might have an insurance problem if you don’t take a refresher course and haven’t told the insurers it’s 40 years since you last drove. If you have an accident they might say this is a material factor that you should have told them of, and declare the policy void. For heaven’s sake don’t just get behind the wheel and ignore the practicalities. You could be just as much a danger on the roads as a youngster who hasn’t passed their test.

Rio24 Mon 23-May-22 09:58:07

Yes I’ve thought if insurance and the outlay of buying a smaller car! I have been renewing my driving license. The whole independence act may turn out to be too stressful and expensive .I do appreciate all your thoughts on this issue! ?

midgey Mon 23-May-22 10:06:41

Hmm, while I applaud you for thinking about it, I’m not so sure! Not so much the driving side more the cost implications, which are massive. You may find it’s cheaper to get taxis (if they are even a possibility).

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-May-22 10:17:13

I suspect that with rising prices a lot of people will be unable to afford the cost of running a car - not just fuel but insurance, MOT, servicing and repairs - and either stop driving or be driving around uninsured in unroadworthy cars. The police round here have been having a crackdown lately and discovered some frightening defects including tyres so bald there is no rubber left in places.

Callistemon21 Mon 23-May-22 10:22:21

I'm glad to hear they're having a crackdown, GSM
Many accidents are caused by faulty tyres and other defects.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-May-22 10:27:25

Yep. There was also a trailer carrying an insecure load of steel and the brake lights on the trailer had been disconnected. Imagine what that could do.

Philippa111 Mon 23-May-22 10:48:07

I would definitely suggest taking some driving lessons again and then hiring a car to see how that goes before actually buying one. If you live in a rural area and want to be more mobile that could be easy enough but if it'd heavy traffic near you, I would really think hard about it.

I used to love driving and getting out of town on the open road but everywhere is so busy now. Getting out of town for me means driving across the city centre....navigating endless traffic works, often big traffic tail backs, roads dug up, diversions, huge roundabouts, aggressive drivers that cut in etc etc..

I find myself sometimes feeling intimidated and mostly just sticking to the local roads I know well or else feeling knackered after an out of town visit. Driving needs full concentration and staying very alert. I would say it is no longer a pleasure but I continue as I like the freedom it gives me... a means to an end.

With the current fuel prices I think twice about journeys and make sure I can do several things in the one trip.

Rio24 Mon 23-May-22 13:52:10

Ha…maybe I’ll invest in a new pair of decent walking boots! ??thanks all!

Callistemon21 Mon 23-May-22 15:09:56

Might be wise!

Driving today is quite different from driving 40 years ago.

Those who have carried on driving have become accustomed to changing road conditions, road signs and a huge increase in volume of traffic.
However, coming back to it after 40 years could be a shock and definitely requires several refresher lessons.

suep1953 Mon 23-May-22 15:17:06

I hadn’t driven for about 15 years and on moving to a more rural area decided I need to be able to get around by car. I have taken some refresher lessons and today I took the car out on my own to an appointment and then to Tesco. It felt great. I have one more lesson left which will be for motorway driving. Go for it so say!!