Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

You know that job I hated????

(39 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 06-Aug-12 17:08:45

The one that was a 9 hour day, 6 days a week for a low basic?

Well, I got sacked yesterday!

glassortwo Mon 06-Aug-12 20:48:36

phoenix best thing that could have happened for you, it would have dragged you down!!!
Remember one door closes and another opens...... there is something just around the corner. Have a wine or two and celebrate your commission and that you never need to go back. flowers

Nonu Mon 06-Aug-12 22:07:50

You are not really surprised are , you with the mensa IQ you have and him with his funny teeth , also having to have to listen to Heart Radio , was not really a match made in heaven, still you have picked up the grand , so onwards and upwards !smile

jeni Mon 06-Aug-12 23:07:26

flag we've our emoticons back!flag

jeni Mon 06-Aug-12 23:08:05

No! Not working!

TECH!

Chris1603 Mon 06-Aug-12 23:36:47

Good luck! I am constantly looking at the job market I think there are a few more around so hopefully the recession is on the turn.

I hope your cloud turns out to have a silver lining and you can always watch the Olympics smile.

glammanana Tue 07-Aug-12 15:02:01

Good for you on making a sale, very difficult at the moment with the economy like it is,have you thought that maybe the manager could have been frightened of your capabilities ? A lot of the big builders used to dismiss staff when they made multiple sales during a month so they didn't have to pay the commission very naughty of them, I know of a few girls who lost £K's of pounds and there was nothing they could do because the contracts had not been exchanged,and all the staff who took over the sales only collected the completion money,it got that way that us experienced sales staff when we had big targets and sales to meet ended up going off sick before they had the chance to move us off site or dismiss some of the team,we had to play them at their own game really after all the hard work that went into a sale.

Anne58 Wed 08-Aug-12 16:09:14

Hello all, thanks for all the messages.

I didn't get the lovely job I applied for, so the search continues. Just back from having a cut & colour and my eyebrows waxed, so at least if I do get an interview anywhere then at least I wont look like a bag lady.

Re. the Olympics, I'm only really interested in the equestrian events, and yesterdays dressage wasn't televised!

glammanana Wed 08-Aug-12 20:44:43

Bet you look a million dollars,don't you just feel fab when you have been to the salon and relaxed,I am still up in the air about the 2 weddings we are going to do I wear my hair up with a fasinater or do I have a thick plait and a big hat.By the look of the weather it will be a rain hood and wellies.!!

Annobel Wed 08-Aug-12 21:38:16

It was televised, phoenix - at least I am pretty sure that those dancing horses were doing dressage. wink Can't remember which channel but the red button gives the complete selection.
Sorry to hear about the job sad but with your makeover, you are certain to make a good impression next time. flowers

gracesmum Wed 08-Aug-12 21:53:27

phoenix check the BBC and there is a video facility for most if not every sport. I caught the dressage on that.

gracesmum Wed 08-Aug-12 21:54:44

Soory, that should have read bbc website, www.bbc.co.uk/sport

MirandaJane Mon 13-Aug-12 10:06:48

I was retired when I was 51. I decided I was a bit young for total retirement and got a low grade job with my local council.
My pension far exceeded my salary.
I enjoyed the job for about 4 years. It was a 10 minute walk from home and the people were friendly.
After 4 years the manager changed and the new one lived near me and he knew my house.
It was far better than his.
I also had a newish car at the time which he did not have.
He did not think it was right that a low grade employee should have a nice house which was better than his but I knew my pension and salary put together exceeded his salary.
An incident also happened when I had to go into hospital and it was private. The insurance was part of my pension from my previous employer.
Again he did not think that was right.
As it happened redundancy opportunities came up and I decided to volunteer.
This was accepted but as I was eligible for a small early council pension and I had paid AVC'S he thought the redundancy should not be paid.
I did however argue and the redundancy and pension was paid but I did go under a cloud without anybody saying goodbye.
About 2 weeks later I was contacted by a workmate and she said £150 had been collected for me in the office while the manager was on holiday and could we meet somewhere.
I did take my friends out for a drink and I think it cost me more than the £150 but at least I was pleased that most of the people had no grievance against me.
I still meet some of them every 3 months.

Miranda

glammanana Mon 13-Aug-12 15:44:39

Well done you miranda why should where we live and what car we have parked on our driveway dictate our employment prospects to others,was it the fact that are a successful woman that got his back up ?? I think so don't you ?