Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

I have just reported this advertisement

(10 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 24-Jan-13 11:35:41

I think I may be turning into either a nit picking vigilante or an indignant of Acacia Avenue type person!

Sales Manager A busy Sales Manager needs young ambitious, highly driven candidates looking for a career in sales. Do you have French or German language skills? Looking for an exciting career path? Then contact us! Job Salary - £18,000 PA Job Role - Software Sales Executive (Permanent) Sales training provided Commission International travel Send your CV with covering letter to [email protected]

Ana Thu 24-Jan-13 11:47:53

Is it the 'young' bit you're reporting it for, phoenix?
I suppose they aren't allowed to specify any more, but they probably wouldn't employ an older person for this vacancy, so at least it saves pointless applications and interviews...confused

Anne58 Thu 24-Jan-13 11:58:48

Yes Ana and the chap I spoke to explained that on this particular website, customers can either pay one amount and a professional drafts the ad for them , or they can pay for an access code and put their own ads up.

This was a case of the latter, and it is not allowed! There are only certain circumstances when either age or gender specific job descriptions are permitted, and this is not one of them.

Movedalot Thu 24-Jan-13 12:29:52

Am I right in thinking that the website is obliged to take it off once it is brought to their attention?

Good for you for reporting them.

For anyone who thinks they have been refused a job because of their age, give the company a call and ask them gently why you didn't get it and don't be fobbed off with the answer that they had someone who more closely matched to their requirements, ask in what way. If you find you have been age disciminated against make a fuss and if you can prove it go to tribumal.

Anne58 Thu 24-Jan-13 12:31:55

The person I spoke to said he would contact the company who posted it. I will have a look later to see if it has either gone or been changed.

jeni Thu 24-Jan-13 12:49:29

Well done!
I'm cross about age things at the moment, as the DOJ is still saying we have to retire at 72. That isin spite of them being responsible for the employment tribunals who say you can't discriminate on age grounds!hmm

JessM Thu 24-Jan-13 12:59:03

irony writ large jeni

Ariadne Thu 24-Jan-13 14:41:59

And ho, Jess

I think you are right to object, Phoenix; I can't understand how they got away with it.

JessM Thu 24-Jan-13 17:35:31

Anyone can get an advertisers account with Reed, not read the rules and post something without thinking about the law. Probably not HR trained. Reveals the unconscious prejudice doesnt it.

JessM Fri 25-Jan-13 15:34:03

And you'll be glad to hear I'm sure Phoenix that our esteemed MPs are hosting a jobs fair. All unemployed young people welcome. hmm