Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Proud mum!

(49 Posts)
kittylester Thu 25-May-17 14:08:36

Those of you who have been here for a while will have been bored heard all about my disabled son. He had a bit of a sh***y time for a while after his stroke, having to return home, getting divorced angry etc.

He had loads of help from Headway and, latterly, Enrych. He now lives independently, has written a book and is a volunteer for the Adult Literacy programme doing 1 to 1 with people who really struggle.

I am so proud of the way he has rebuilt his life and today he posted a fabulous photo of him and an older stroke survivor, who he helps with IT, at a farm shop having carrot cake. They are both grinning like mad.

So, why did it make me cry?

Grannyknot Thu 25-May-17 14:31:12

kitty maybe a case of "smiling through the tears"?

I read your son's book a while ago, you have every reason to be a very proud mum.

flowers

janeainsworth Thu 25-May-17 14:31:20

kitty lots of reasons I suspect! Well done to your son for rebuilding his life and to you for being Supermum! flowers

ninathenana Thu 25-May-17 14:54:44

kitty that's wonderful. I'm not surlrised your justly proud.
You cried for the same reason mum's cry when watching their little ones perform at school. He's your baby smile

gillybob Thu 25-May-17 15:03:57

What a lovely post amid all the doom and gloom kittylester

I think janeainsworth and ninathenana have got it right. You cried because you are bursting with pride and probably realise that it could have been very different. smile

Tippy22 Thu 25-May-17 15:18:51

How wonderful for you and him. Onwards and upwards.

mumofmadboys Thu 25-May-17 15:34:27

It is such an achievement when people turn their lives around after awful things have happened.May his future life be blessed with happiness and contentment. Cry away Kitty!!

merlotgran Thu 25-May-17 15:39:51

What a lovely OP, kitty. No wonder you're proud of him.

Your son is an inspiration.

kittylester Thu 25-May-17 15:40:02

Thank you all - I still feel a bit weepy. I think the events in Manchester have had an influence too.

Now all he wants is a kind wife/partner. Well, that's all his mum wants for him grin

Luckygirl Thu 25-May-17 16:06:03

I am sure that your bringing up of your son has contributed greatly to his ability to rise above these adversities; and also the support from you that has always been there. So - when the tears have stopped! - please find time to pat yourself on the back! flowers

annsixty Thu 25-May-17 16:13:23

Well done to both of you because you have been behind him all the way. I would be bursting with pride as well.
The events in Manchester have affected me more than I
expected so don't apologize for being weepy.

shysal Thu 25-May-17 16:39:01

I am now weeping along with you, Kitty! Well done to your son and to you for all the support you have given him! sunshine

kittylester Thu 25-May-17 18:50:33

You are all lovely. The fb post has just come to the top again and I've had to skim over it. I keep promising to reread his book in a more in depth way rather than as fast as possible so I didn't take it in.

The credit all goes to Matt - we've just done what parents do. We all do our best at the time and get it wrong as much as get it right.

Cherrytree59 Thu 25-May-17 20:03:55

Well Done Matt .
It takes courage to rebuild a life and turn a negative in to a positive.
It takes kindness and empathy to help others whilst dealing with what life has thrown at you..

It also helps to have kind and loving parent's to smile, pat you on the back and say well done son,
You are an inspiration.sunshine

cornergran Fri 26-May-17 05:33:04

So pleased, kitty. A long and hard process. for you all. It's right to be proud of your son, also to be proud of yourselves. Emotion is definitely allowed. smile.

Skweek1 Fri 26-May-17 10:46:00

Well done, both you and your amazing son. You have obviously done a fantastic job and no wonder you are proud.

keffie Fri 26-May-17 10:52:36

People dont seem to realise we have tear ducts for a reason. If werent meant to cry we wouldnt have tear ducts. They are a physical/emotional release for our feelings.

Kitty in your case its tears of joy and pride in your son acheivement. Tears too of relief that he has come through stronger and is O.K

starlily106 Fri 26-May-17 10:55:36

You cried because you are so proud of him. He must really be a strong man in all ways, my best wishes to him .

Theoddbird Fri 26-May-17 10:55:42

Emotion made you cry. Tears are not just for sadness. Tears of joy...wonderful. You must be so proud and happy for him x

grandMattie Fri 26-May-17 11:07:37

Kitty I would have cried too - of pride at how your son has overcome his many problems. You are rightly very proud and emotional. Well done to all! flowersflowers

radicalnan Fri 26-May-17 11:11:44

Wow, what an acheivement for both of you. Well done and now I've shed a few tears myself because some people make life wonderful.
xx

harrigran Fri 26-May-17 11:14:32

kitty flowers. What can I say ? you are his mum.
I would like to read your son's book, can you let me know the title so I can look for it ?

glammanana Fri 26-May-17 11:17:35

So pleased to read of Matts achievement you must be bursting with pride after such a horrible couple of years.flowers

sweetcakes Fri 26-May-17 11:27:46

Because your a loving mum and so very proud of the way he has turned his life around. Xflowers well done to your son.

Auntieflo Fri 26-May-17 11:30:46

Kitty, you are a justly proud Mum, and Matt must be an inspiration, to overcome all his troubles and come up smiling. Thank you for posting and being proud of him. It is so lovely to have a post like this, and be as teary as you like. ?