Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Kitchen Assistant - Dinner Lady

(6 Posts)
chattypat Tue 23-Jul-19 15:19:01

Hi Everyone i will be starting, my new Job in September as a Kitchen Assistant is there any one who is a Kitchen Assistant can let me know what it is like. to work in a school.
[Roast Chicken]

MiniMoon Tue 23-Jul-19 16:01:05

I did a kitchen assistant job for a year when my son started school. It was in a small rural village school. We had about 40 pupils and staff to cater for. There were only the cook and me in the kitchen. I did some prep, mostly vegetables. My main occupation was clearing up after the cook, and making sure the kitchen was spotless when we'd finished. I had to clean out the outside drain once again a week ??. I did enjoy it and would have stayed longer, but we moved house.

petra Tue 23-Jul-19 16:10:16

I would imagine that as long as you can open a packet and use a microwave you'll be fine ?

MissAdventure Tue 23-Jul-19 16:28:15

You have to know how to roll the lumps which go in the mash. grin

Congratulations on your job, well done!

Auntieflo Tue 23-Jul-19 16:54:50

I did it once, years ago, but couldn’t continue as the huge pans were just too heavy for me to manage.

ILE35 Tue 23-Jul-19 17:32:25

I done this job for about 5 years when my kids were small and I loved it.

I worked 4 hours every day and the 1st part of my shift entailed making mostly the cold dinner option like sandwiches, rolls etc with the odd burger/hot dog day prepped aswell. Before lunch I would fill up the fridges, help put out the hot food and do a general tidy up. For the dinner hour we worked on a rota so one week you'd be serving, next doing the till, another serving the cold option. After lunch I'd do the money from the till whilst others cleared the dinner hall then we would all be on a rota again either working dishwasher, mopping floors, cleaning and preparing salads for next again day. It went in so fast and I never got bored. I loved the kids and got to know a lot of them. I also enjoyed all the school hols. If I still had kids at school I'd say it is the perfect little job!