Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Software developers - any of you out there?

(43 Posts)
Shizam Mon 27-Jan-20 20:39:11

Dear all.
Does anyone have any connections with software development that may help a son? He has a 2.1 in computer science, has applied for 80 jobs. So far, only four have replied. He needs relevant work experience to get his CV zinging. Could do it unpaid. London-based. He’s been working hard, but just not getting that initial break into his relevant industry. Any contacts or suggestions would be much appreciated. He’s getting very downhearted. ? Thank you.

Shizam Mon 27-Jan-20 20:55:15

Just to add, I’m posting this on here to try and help him out as he’s getting rather downhearted with it all. Firms he applies to which have put up ads don’t even bother to say no. He was happy the other day that one at least bothered to write to reject him! Harsh out there and unprofessional.

MiniMoon Mon 27-Jan-20 22:13:33

Does he have any work experience at all? He should put down on his CV everything he's had experience in, even voluntary work.
I'm afraid I don't have any computer knowledge, and know nothing of software development, but I know how hard it is for a university graduate with a 2:1 degree to find employment. All those with firsts are way ahead in the queue.
My DD has a 2:1 in Anthropology, and has never worked in that field. She was employed in retail. The nearest she came to anything anthropological was curating a small exhibition of miniature furniture and that was only until she had her first baby.

Shizam Mon 27-Jan-20 22:58:39

Thanks minimoon for reply. He’s been working since graduating, but not in field he wants to be in. Needs relevant work experience in software development. Just thought I’d put idea out here in case someone was in the industry...

Shizam Mon 27-Jan-20 23:04:07

And yes, a 2.1 is pah! these days, apparently. All of his friends are in same boat, post university. Working in shops etc, which they could have done without £50 grand of debt!

Gymstagran Tue 28-Jan-20 05:31:52

Is he possibly aiming too high with the job vacancies. My advice would be to go for lower level vacancies in an IT environment. Once he has proved his worth in the department he may get rapid progression.

Gymstagran Tue 28-Jan-20 06:21:38

Also maybe he could approach small charitable organisations that need help with software. There should be a list of charities in the area on the local councils website. If he has evidence of work he has done it would help

tanith Tue 28-Jan-20 07:47:58

My son in a similar place had to take a job with a big company on the phones taking calls but managed to show his technical worth and was fast tracked into the tech dept, this was a long time ago but now he is flying high and in much demand.
Good luck to your son.

Marydoll Tue 28-Jan-20 08:25:05

Shizam, in a similar position as your son, my son applied for a lower level IT job, was interviewed and told he was over qualified and they couldn't offer him the job. He got home and received a phone call offering him a higher level position from the same company. He has never looked backed.

Marydoll Tue 28-Jan-20 08:25:42

Looked back!!!

MerylStreep Tue 28-Jan-20 08:50:14

Shizam
My daughter is a software developer, London based.
I'll see if I can get in touch with her today.

trisher Tue 28-Jan-20 13:56:57

He may need to accept that a 2:1 is not going to get him the job he really wants. Then he needs to look at what he wants to do and decide his options. One may be to work for a while and fund a Masters degree. These have become the same as an ordinary degree used to be. The problem is that with his qualification he will effectively be well down the list of applicants. Many companies have their own apprenticeship schemes and employ from there, then they take those with a first class degree. He could perhaps look if there are any firms offering apprenticeships to graduates.It's hard to adapt to the fact that your degree may not open the doors you hoped it would.

rosecarmel Tue 28-Jan-20 16:10:42

I've no idea what his resume looks like, but if he can link whatever industry he worked in previously to tech, he stands a better chance of receiving the experience he needs to advance- For example, if he worked in the food industry or retail, apply with those companies-

rosecarmel Tue 28-Jan-20 16:15:10

To be clear, I mean apply in those industries and not necessarily the companies he worked for previously-

I hope that makes sense!

rosecarmel Tue 28-Jan-20 19:10:35

U.K. Allows Huawei to Build Parts of 5G Network

Prime Minister Boris Johnson wants to ensure that Britain has access to cutting-edge telecom equipment, seen as vital for powering everything from driverless cars to virtual-reality headsets. A key plank of the government’s vision after Brexit is to turn Britain into a high-tech research hub.

Excerpt from article on MSN

Shizam Tue 28-Jan-20 19:52:50

MerylStreep that would be fabulous if your daughter is able to give any ideas or input. Thank you so much.
And many thanks to all of you who have given advice and tips. We are having a brain-storming session this week on his CV and co. Not sure how much use I will be! But all of the replies here have really helped me to try to help him. ? to you all.

SpringyChicken Tue 28-Jan-20 22:19:50

My 27 year old son has a 2.1 in computing and that has certainly been good enough for him to find work. He found his jobs using recruiters. They found appropriate vacancies and lined up interviews for him. I'll ask him for tips and come back to you here.

SpringyChicken Tue 28-Jan-20 23:48:41

Hi again.
My son suspects the cv needs improvement and says
"Make sure the cv is polished up as best as possible, see here for help/examples: old.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestionsEU/comments/cz49ck/resume_review_thread/
- If he can't get a job in software development look for a job in a technology based company doing IT support or something to get his foot in the door at least
- Talk to recruiters and see if they can help/recommend things."

I remember my daughter re- wording my son's cv for him. She was basically saying the same things but obviously had the way with words. My son has offered to look at your son's cv if that helps and knowing my daughter, she'd try to help too. PM me if you want that.

Companies often use existing employees to find new recruits (and pay them bonuses for anyone subsequently taken on). So if your son has friends or acquaintances in the industry, he needs to get them to put his name forward. He also needs to keep up his skills relevant to a developer role. My son was horrified at how quickly he became rusty and spent time brushing up.

Another suggestion (this will seem odd) - join a board games club. They attract people who enjoy solving puzzles and there's a good chance some of them will be in the computing industry. It all helps in making contacts.

rosecarmel Wed 29-Jan-20 04:00:35

Another suggestion (this will seem odd) - join a board games club. They attract people who enjoy solving puzzles and there's a good chance some of them will be in the computing industry. It all helps in making contacts.

Yes! SpringyChicken, very true! smile boardgamegeek.com

markgilson80 Wed 27-Oct-21 12:27:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

ElderlyPerson Wed 27-Oct-21 13:52:42

A 2.1 is a very high qualification.

Much higher than a lot of graduates get.

If someone with 2.1 is having a problem getting a job then it must be pretty bleak out there these days.

I know it is a long time ago but when I was young a 2.1 opened the door to many opportunities, such as eligibility for the possibility of a grant to study for a research degree. A first or a 2.1 was often a requirement for top jobs.

I wonder how graduates with a lower grade degree are faring.

ElderlyPerson Wed 27-Oct-21 14:35:46

A practical suggestion.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to be doing something as well as applying for jobs.

For example, learn desktop publishing, learn about creative writing, write something, maybe a science fiction story, produce a Portable Document Format document. Get it on the web. Learn about Legal Deposit.

My suggestion is to just pick up a pen and start writing on a piece of paper, even it does not seem any good.

Because doing it is an experience, the next attempt will probably seem better, then one thing follows another as one tries to learn about writing and wants to learn about writing and wants to express one's ideas.

The worst thing is to say "I can't do that" and not try.

Remember, every established author was once a new born baby.

Or maybe learn something complementary to your main subject. For example, a language such as Spanish, so that he has a rare skill combination that might be a perfect fit sometime.

A big paradox I found with jobs, from experience and what others have told me, is that often employers claim they want bright innovative creative people but the truth is that in practice they often want and most value the 'greys', people who 'fit in' with how things are being done already, and regard people who have the sparkle that they claim they want as problematic.

ElderlyPerson Wed 27-Oct-21 14:48:19

Oh, and by the way, an idea of my own about writing a story. Start in the middle. Then it can roll. Later on, work out how to start so as to get to that middle bit.

And something I learned at Creative writing class, get the reader's attention tand interest to want to know what follows in the first sentence
So not

A quiet hotel, people are eating evening meal. A waiter approaches a lady with her dinner

But

"Argh, you've spilled tomato soup over my brand new handbag!" yelled Pamela.

Hithere Wed 27-Oct-21 15:05:25

Has he tried to apply for technical support jobs?

He could also try to go to QA field.

Katie59 Wed 27-Oct-21 15:08:22

This is the story with half the graduates, there is not the vacancies at graduate level, those that do often work is in a different discipline.
He should look for work in an associated area, accounts, engineering, scientific and use his skills there until a better opening arises.