Gransnet forums

Writers' room

Self Publishing

(43 Posts)
Mimosa Thu 21-May-15 18:18:07

Hi
This week I launched my first self published book. I have written and illustrated The Amberstone Dragon an adventure story for older children and adults. This is now available on a digital format in the Amazon Kindle Store.

The reason for starting this post is I would really like to chat to anyone who has done the same thing. What process did you use to promote your book? I am on Facebook and the usual media platforms, but at 68 it does sometimes seem rather daunting. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks x

soontobe Thu 21-May-15 18:26:17

The person I know who has self published, has also written a further two books, also self published.
She does it through America in some way[sorry dont know more details].
She was also nominated for a top self publishing USA award which helps. And gets good reviews on Amazon.
All helps. But not sure she makes any money.

Mimosa Fri 22-May-15 18:57:05

Thanks Soontobe, any information is always helpful, much appreciated.

soontobe Fri 22-May-15 19:12:25

She "branded" her next books, if that helps at all. Not sure that is the right word. She had the covers look a bit similar to her first one.

Teetime Sat 23-May-15 08:48:02

Congratulations mimosa I hope the book goes well. I am going to keep watching this thread as this may be an option for me if I ever get this finished!

Jane10 Sat 23-May-15 09:19:33

Self publishing seems to be a good way ahead cutting out the middle man. There could be quality issues though. Of course I'm sure your book is very good but I've found some badly edited and proof read books on Amazon for downloading. Have you had feedback from readers other than friends? That can be very helpful. Writers collectives can be good when a group work together to check over manuscripts etc. I met a person on this very forum who had just self published their third book. Perhaps that person is reading this? I'll PM them to check they've noticed this.

ChrisCal Sat 23-May-15 11:40:05

Well done, Mimosa! You find it daunting at 68? WOT? Only 68? You probably have years of productive creative work ahead. I wrote my first novel at 74 and have moved on to a couple more. I chose self-publishing for two reasons: first, because I had already wasted time and effort trying to get agents and publishers interested and secondly because the actual process is not hugely expensive. And I believe, not at all daunting, if you can avoid certain (usually expensive) pitfalls.

As one who has been through the minefield, I would be happy to help if I can. I cannot claim to be any sort of expert in self-publishing but I have learned quite a lot about the process along the way. I'm afraid that I have found that the only near-certainty for authors of a certain age (ahem!) is that no literary agent is even remotely interested in taking on someone whom they perceive to be in the first stages of rigor mortis. Unfair ageism? Of course it is, but I've had some very flattering rejection letters, even from agents who agree that my work is what they call "commercial". They mean saleable.

So do press on with self-publishing. You will find that there are dozens of ways, not all expensive, of widening the availability of your work, "exposure", they call it. However, having it on virtual shelves world-wide is no guarantee that you will achieve any sales. But it does help. If you think that I may be able to help you, please contact me; I'll do my best.

Mimosa Sat 23-May-15 18:59:13

Hi Chris

Thank you so much for all your helpful words and encouragement, so appreciated and so kind of you.

Well done you for doing so well in getting your books out there. I agree with what you have said re the 'certain age' factor. I am 68 but feel 48!!

I have my book on all the Amazon sites and it will also be going on Apple and Google Books Partner Centre. I have my own website for my art work and also my self published tarot deck which thankfully has been very successful and sold all over the world. I have a great friend who created my website and helps me with the self publishing, the actual getting it on the sites as that is totally beyond my capability especially when placing illustrations within a text. Its a known fact that artists are no good at all this techno stuff and I am one of them. I don't own an ipad or top of the range mobile phone, my phone is just a phone. But I am seriously thinking of getting a contract iphone as its the way forward.

I decided to publish in a digital format as I am hoping that I can earn enough from this to go into print myself. Its difficult going anywhere to read from your book if there is no hard copy in front of you. What I want to know is the best way to get people to find your book on sites like Amazon. I have been told to try and get reviews on Amazon and I am doing that at the moment.

My website is www.hezicostarot.com if you would like to take a look. My book The Amberstone Dragon took a long time to complete, it has been professionally proof read and I have illustrated it through out. Once the book is placed on the other digital sites, I will have my website updated.

So nice to chat to you and greatly appreciated, keep going yourself!

Mary

Mimosa Sat 23-May-15 19:04:11

Hi Jane

Thank you so much for getting in touch, greatly appreciated.

I have had my book professionally proof read and it took a considerable time to complete same as it is illustrated by myself through out.

I am certainly going to check out and find a writers collective group that might possibly read my book. Thank you for that advice. I only launched my book a few days ago and it will also be going on Apple and Google Books Partner Centre. A friend of mine who created my website does all the 'putting on the sites stuff', as I am certainly not clever enough to do that.

Thank you again, so kind.

Mimosa Sat 23-May-15 19:05:23

Yes, Teetime, keep in touch and if you are considering self publishing I have received some really helpful advice already!

ChrisCal Sun 24-May-15 11:20:56

Mimosa, I’ve just visited your website and clearly with a published e-book, you are already well down the self-publishing route. Well done! And your artwork is simply stunning! Also looked at your novel on Amazon and the sample of the story is well written and intriguing. As I am not familiar with the world of Tarot, I do not have an opinion as to how well it will sell, but it certainly deserves to succeed to its full potential.

Don’t worry about being 68 years young, there are plenty of readers out there who appreciate the efforts, grit and determination of the grey generation. Having experienced the downside of the mainstream publishers’ perception of us oldies, I try to champion the cause on my website, www.chriscalder.com where my mantra is "Never underestimate the grey generation, we have more life experience.”

Keep writing, for you I am sure that the rewards will follow.

Mimosa Mon 25-May-15 19:13:48

ChrisCal, my goodness me you have written so much, just amazed and also bowled over by your positive outlook. I am the same!

My tarot deck was launched back in 2010 and only have a small amount of decks left now. Was quite an experience as I had to paint 78 A4 illustrations, write a book to accompany the deck and finally design the box to hold the cards. Was great fun to complete.

Thank you for you kind words of encouragement and I just loved your website, as well as your exciting novels, I did rather love your French home, so beautiful.

Thank you again.

ChrisCal Tue 26-May-15 09:19:51

Hi Mimosa,

You painted SEVENTY-EIGHT illustrations? Then wrote a book and designed the package? Amazing! What do you plan to do over the next five, ten, twenty years?

I find it amusing when someone tells me that as a pensioner, I have "plenty of time" to do anything I like. Then I point out gently that I shall be lucky to be around ten years from now, whereas they can look forward to decades more years. So who has more "time"? Ageing is all about perspective, really, isn't it?

Great that you are having fun doing what you love; good luck with your endeavours.

Mimosa Mon 01-Jun-15 18:38:42

Thanks Chris,

I agree with your comments on ageing.

Seeing it written down on your message...78 illustrations it does look a lot, it was quite a journey. It took nearly two years to complete as I was not able to work at it every day. Plans for the future include art work to be completed for an exhibition and two more stories to complete. Plus keeping my head above water!

I started a similar self publishing post in one of the other book related forums which has turned out to be rather a nightmare, with members having a go at each other. Really surprised me.

Thanks again for your encouragement. I would like more time during the day to complete my projects but have to keep down a part time job as the money pot needs to be refilled every month! Its onwards and upwards.

Jane10 Mon 01-Jun-15 19:12:29

It surprised me too mimosa! I tried to keep it on track but hey ho that's forums for you. Keep posting. It would be good to hear how its all going, you too ChrisCal.

weepam Mon 01-Jun-15 20:40:08

Hi,I,ve just self published a book on kindle called "jake belshaw/a tale from the great famine of 1315-17" it,s historical fiction set in my home county of worcs during the great famine of 1315.bordsley abbey/redditch,my home town, which features heavily in the book was excavated in the 1960's so a lot of info about monastic life of the middle ages came to light.even if it never makes a sale I don,t care as I enjoyed writting it and the ensuing sequels set at the begining of the hundred years war and involving the fictitious belshaw family.j.writer davies

Jane10 Mon 01-Jun-15 20:42:18

Well done!

Ana Mon 01-Jun-15 20:48:29

There are two 'self publishing' threads running now!

Very confusing...

Jane10 Mon 01-Jun-15 21:22:22

One's in the writers room section and one's in books.

Ana Mon 01-Jun-15 21:35:19

Both started by Mimosa, though...

Ana Mon 01-Jun-15 21:36:48

And both being posted on.

It would be better to combine them, I'd have thought, but whatever.

soontobe Mon 01-Jun-15 21:56:52

They were both started on the same afternoon, Ana. There have always been the two.
It doesnt matter really.
The two threads went in different directions.

Mimosa Tue 02-Jun-15 18:53:01

Thanks Jane10

Mimosa Tue 02-Jun-15 18:53:59

Weepam...Fantastic, well done you!

Mimosa Tue 02-Jun-15 18:54:55

I started two threads, as being a new member was not sure which one to put my message in.