Gransnet forums

Writers' room

Being a tough old bird

(20 Posts)
letticehooyah Mon 31-Aug-15 11:25:35

I'm thinking of a future novel about older women, specifically the glorious tough old birds you see around - the matriarchs, the independents, the stylish dressers, who could make Donald Trump say 'please' with one glance of contempt.

What characteristics do you most enjoy about those women? What's their (your?) life like?

Jane10 Mon 31-Aug-15 14:16:52

Its hard to know what to say lettice. You might need more for a novel than just characterful older ladies. Do you have a particular story in mind into which you could slot an old so and so or do you want a central character first and build something around her? You don't want it to be cartoonish somehow. Maggie Smith in Downton is on the verge of that. Novels about older people seem a bit trendy these days, what could the next big thing be? So much to discuss!

Grannyfran Fri 06-Nov-15 10:17:07

I'd be really interested to read (or perhaps to write) a novel where an older woman who appears unimpressive to the onlooker - not stylish, not assertive - turns out to be unexpectedly powerful and resourceful as well as a bit subversive.
Also the opposite; one where an obvious battleaxe (a word never used for men) is cut down to size.
Actually, as I think about, I already have written the first one, so that just leaves me with the second one to do!

mollie Fri 06-Nov-15 12:24:49

This is something I've often thought about and can think of one or two novels that have had wonderful older female characters so why not have more? I'm curious about those unremarkable older ladies who you'd pass in the street without noticing AND YET have a history of doing amazing things for the country during the last war. I think I'm more impressed with those characters than the flamboyant ones.

toniee Wed 23-Dec-15 18:26:20

Hi everyone! New to here. Just wanted to share my thoughts. About women's fiction, serious romance. Ones that, that just hint at their characters passions with kisses and embraces and suchlike. The idea of dot, dot, dot and then turn over to the next page.

Imagining something like 'Brief Encounter'. The sheer potency of the romantic yearnings expressed by those two lovers.. Lovely sentiments, the old-fashioned way..

wotanuisanceABC123 Wed 23-Dec-15 19:47:32

I loved "Travels With My Aunt" Graham Greene. I've always admired feisty old birds with a dry sense of humour and would like to read more of those sort of books! Can anyone recommend any authors, please?

Imperfect27 Sat 09-Jan-16 15:23:18

I'm sure, like many, I have a book in me - just need to get round to deciding which angle to write it from. (I always think we must write best from our own experiences, but I could be very wrong ...)

Successful, contemporary romantic fiction seems to capture the flavour of the times - positive references to gay couples, blended families, raising queries about God vs humanism / individual spirituality, encompassing love and loss ...

Once married to someone gay - tick
Now part of a blended family - 2 lovely stepsons - double tick
Former spouse once a vicar - raised all sorts of questions for me about church - tick
Lost husband (had a gay lover - him, not me) -tick
Lost home (vicarage ) as a result - tick
Single parent to 4 children - tick
Mature student - first class honours and won academic prizes - tick
Lost a daughter - no tick possible
Trained for a successful new career - big, fat, round tick
Remarried - huge, massive, gigantic tick
Now a granny - see above tick-rating and multiply

Yes, I have a book in me ....

All I have to do is decide on the title and I'll be away ... any suggestions - and bare in mind I have a keenly dark sense of humour smile

Jane10 Sat 09-Jan-16 17:01:52

Imperfect - so many people say they've got a book in them. Talk's cheap - just do it!
Alexander McCall Smith at the Edinburgh book festival last year poked fun at people who say they have a book in them. He (tongue in cheek) told us that with the new developments in scanning technology its possible to see just what sort of book it might be -biography, thriller, cook book or whatever.
FYI my book is out on Monday!

Imperfect27 Sat 09-Jan-16 17:03:51

I am indeed interested ... more details please and PM them if you are not allowed the free advertising ha ha.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 09-Jan-16 19:38:24

I don't believe there is such a thing as a 'tough old bird'. It is most likely a rather hackneyed figment of film/television scriptwriters' imaginations.

A woman is a woman, with all the feelings the rest of us have.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 09-Jan-16 19:41:13

I might have the odd short story in me. Or paragraph.

annsixty Sat 09-Jan-16 19:53:25

When I did my family tree I found several strong women on it. Widowed young and survived when contemporaries ended up in the workhouse (19th c) . Both my GM's and my mother were widowed in their 40:s and worked to keep going. I consider them to be tough old birds. My life has been a bed of roses in comparison.

Elegran Sat 09-Jan-16 20:21:37

Yup, everyone has a book in them, but how many people can get it out and onto paper/screen?

Jalima Sat 09-Jan-16 20:59:21

Imperfect you sound as if you have enough material to write a book - but don't give away too much of the plot, someone may 'borrow' your storyline!

I have a book in me but it won't seem to come out.
Must be literary constipation.

Imperfect27 Sun 10-Jan-16 08:02:36

When I was dealing with the early days of single-parenthood, a cousin gave me a photoframe that was decorated with the words:

'Why is a woman like a teabag?

Because you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water!'

That saying together with:

'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.'

and

'Keep a stout heart.'

have kept me going over the years ... I prefer 'strong ' to tough ...

Jalima Sun 10-Jan-16 14:16:18

have kept me going over the years ... I prefer 'strong ' to tough
Yes, me too - do you remember that Helen Reddy song? 'I am Woman'?

Oh yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to, I can do anything
I am strong
I am invincible
I am woman

Jane10 Sun 10-Jan-16 15:33:01

Don't think I'm any of those! Just doing my best and keeping on keeping on. Its all I can do.

Jalima Sun 10-Jan-16 15:36:33

Well, yes grin, I keep trying!

Imperfect27 Sun 10-Jan-16 18:14:29

Yes - you just have to get on with it really smile

carerof123 Thu 20-Oct-16 09:23:00

Imperfect27 how about this title, The Tick List!!!!