Gransnet forums

Writers' room

Nanowrimo 2015

(9 Posts)
Grannyfran Fri 06-Nov-15 10:21:18

Any Gransnetters doing Nanowrimo 2015 this year? How are you getting on? Has anyone been a 'winner'? (ie completed 50,000 words in November?) I'm doing it and should be writing right now, so that's enough internet distraction for one day!

mollie Fri 06-Nov-15 12:17:53

Good luck Grannygran. I'm not doing it this year but have taken part three times and crossed the line two years ago! On the other two occasions I ran out of story and/or steam half way through. You really do have to be determined ie 'turn up at the page' every day AND have enough story ideas to keep writing. It doesn't have to be perfect, it's just a first draft. Good luck and let us know how you're getting on.

Teetime Fri 06-Nov-15 15:06:47

I have tried in previous years but it was too much for me I fear I do not dedicate enough time to writing and this month has been hellish time wise. Good Luck with it though - hope you get something published at the end of it all.

Helen2014 Sat 07-Nov-15 12:44:47

Like Mollie, I've done it 3 times and finished twice. I'm not doing it this year because we are going away to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary but I hope to do it again next year. Good luck Grannyfran. Just think, in a month's time you might have a book to give out as Christmas presents.

merlotgran Sat 07-Nov-15 13:33:22

I've never heard of this. Does it only take place in November?

mollie Sat 07-Nov-15 16:44:04

Yes, although the organisers run other writing related events through the year but I've never tried these.

mollie Wed 18-Nov-15 12:48:16

How's it going Grannyfran?

Grannyfran Fri 20-Nov-15 10:32:11

Well, Mollie and Helen2014, I don't think I'm ever going to write 50,000 words in one single month - certainly not this year, anyway! Hats off to you!
I've done this three times now and never even come close. On the other hand the garbled scribbles I typed at dawn did eventually get turned into a novel and did eventually get published, so it's always worth it. I work, so have to scribble at odd times. This year I'm ploughing on with three separate stories. Whenever I get stuck on one, I switch to another. I love Nanowrimo, it gets me in the habit of writing fast without re-reading every year. It's amazing what your brain produces if you just write and keep writing. The pep talks on the website are great, too.
Go for it, Grannywriters!

mollie Fri 20-Nov-15 11:49:44

Don't give up, its amazing how the words mount up! You know this - you've been published! Excellent!