Gransnet forums

Writers' room

A verse or two

(8 Posts)
sluttygran Fri 27-May-16 08:05:10

I wrote these verses as a tribute to a dear couple I know, who are still very much in love after 50 years of marriage. They have their ups and downs, but are still great friends, and can laugh together, which is probably their greatest gift.

Getting old together

When you and I were young my love
And we were in our prime
We'd spend the whole weekend in bed
And make love all the time.

But now we're getting old my love
I fear we're past our best
The last weekend you spent in bed
Was with your wheezy chest

We used to lie entwined my love
Our bodies close together
But now we like to cuddle up
When chilly in cold weather

Our bodies were so smooth my love
Our eyes were bright, like stars
But now we wear bifocals
And have operation scars

You used to wake at night my love
To have your way with me
But now you only rise at night
Because you need a pee!

For now your prostate wakes you up
And sends you to the loo
And since the hysterectomy
I've been the same way too.

But some things haven't changed my love
You're still my dearest dear
You're still the nicest man I know
And you get better every year!

annsixty Fri 27-May-16 08:24:38

That brought tears to my eyes for very special and very personal reasons. We will have been married for 58 years in August and that used to ring very true. You have quite a talent sluttygran.

Grannaby Fri 27-May-16 08:33:26

So apt. Love it smile

Auntieflo Fri 27-May-16 08:35:15

Sluttygran, so clever and so true. We will have been married for 55 years in September, He frustrates and annoys me at times, and I dare say he feels the same, but I can't imagine being married to any one else, ever. smile

Indinana Fri 27-May-16 20:48:37

Sluttygran that really is so lovely. You certainly know how to paint a very true and charming picture of growing old together. Will you show your dear friends?

sluttygran Sat 28-May-16 13:27:29

I am not sure I could show them. Indinana - I haven't mentioned any names, and I have used a little 'poetic license'. I would hate to embarrass my friends, tho' if I finish an anthology I might give them a copy and let them judge for themselves! I'm glad you liked the verses, and I'm looking for inspiration for more smile

Elrel Sun 07-Aug-16 15:31:29

I find inspiration in art galleries and in gardens. I enjoy writing poetry and even dared read a few at a spoken word evening. Think I've been working up to this for 70 years!! Late developer I guess!

grannymouse303 Fri 26-Aug-16 15:26:05

Really beautifully written. Thanks for sharing!