Gransnet forums

Writers' room

Bobaloo writing competition

(20 Posts)
jevive73 Fri 01-Jul-16 21:54:17

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I was going to enter. On Mumsnet there were posts saying the contract offered was harsh and some were saying they wouldn't enter as by entering you agreed to their terms. I didn't understand the contract details.

tanith Fri 01-Jul-16 22:03:03

Sorry I don't go over there so have no idea.

phoenix Fri 01-Jul-16 22:03:37

A link might help,jevive

jevive73 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:53:13

Sorry I didn't mean to be confusing. Apparently the Bobaloo winner has by entering the competition agreed to sign all rights to Bobaloo which according to mumsnet (i will try to find the thread for more info) is not what a normal publishing contract requires. As I haven't read any posts on Gransnet about the eriting comp I wondered whether people were avoiding it??

Grannyknot Sat 02-Jul-16 07:44:55

Hi jevive and everyone, this is the competition being asked about:

www.gransnet.com/competitions/2016/gransnet-writing-competition

Grannyknot Sat 02-Jul-16 07:50:36

And here's the Mumsnet thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2669112-The-Bobaloo-Books-Competition-Con

(I have no interest in it,I'm just skilled at searching! Well, Google and I are).

Grannyknot Sat 02-Jul-16 07:55:42

...and if you click on "The thread" in blue in the first entry of above link, you get to the original discussion about the competition on Mumsnet.

breeze Sat 02-Jul-16 09:48:05

Thanks for posting jevive. I've submitted but so far, only what they asked for, a synopsis and chapter. I skimmed through terms and assumed (didn't think I'd be duped on GN or needed a lawyer to go through it for me first!) that book would be published, advice on future work. Seems I may have been naïve but as I'd had no luck submitting elsewhere (they won't even read any of the books I've written, they just say they don't accept unsolicited work), or even getting a literary agent to take me on (all said they are not taking on any new authors), I thought what a great opportunity for a chance. I did self publish one of them in the end but it's not the best way it seems. Having read your post, I'm going to look into it further with OH later on. Would be awful to think GN would set up a deal that ripped off it's members.

jevive73 Sat 02-Jul-16 12:55:12

Thanks Grannyknot and Breeze. I entered a Gransnet children's writing comp a couple of years ago and was a runner up, so think I will have a go. I don't think my new piece will be the next Harry Potter so not too much at stake. I will wait a bit to see whether you or any others get any further info. I did research Bobaloo and it looked a bit like a self publishing company. I had a writing associate who self published and I thought a good editor would have improved her work immensely. She had to do all of the publicity herself. The previous comp on Gransnet was with a well known publisher of children's books.

breeze Sat 02-Jul-16 13:34:42

Hi again jevive. OH came home and I've asked him to go through the fine detail. He is not a lawyer (annoyingly), but was an analyst, so pretty good at going through the fine detail. After having a quick read through myself (properly this time blush I did see that it was actually written to be 'opaque'! or as clear as mud! On a general level; people who are creative, so paint, write, act, musical, by their very nature, find it difficult to also be smart regarding the legalities of contracts, finances, etc. One of my sons is an actor/musician and if you try to pin him down with the importance of keeping track of his bank account, or any contracts signed, he starts humming, looking out of the window and picking his nose! Luckily now, he has an agent but it's easy to see how people who shoot to stardom because they are talented get shafted by being remiss with who is in charge of what they sign and where their money ends up! Not that I consider myself to be in that category! or will end up needing Elton John's legal team for my sad little offering of my children's tale!!!! (think we can safely assume I won't be writing any highly acclaimed books on law!). Anyway, up to you if you submit right now but I'm certainly going to see what my OH thinks after going through it and may not submit the rest of the book if I think it really is a situation where they will take advantage of genuine, trusting, wannabe authors.

jevive73 Sat 02-Jul-16 14:07:56

I am really grateful for your reply and will wait to see if you get any more info. Your writing about your son made me laugh. Perhaps you should have a go at writing comedy?? As well as children's stuff,obviously.

breeze Sat 02-Jul-16 14:25:00

I am going to P.M. you jevive, as OH went through it and his reply to my request for help with sifting through the jargon is a little 'forthright'. And, as he is not a lawyer, it's only his interpretation of the 'rules'. Hope you will find it helpful.

breeze Sun 03-Jul-16 10:47:10

Be very interested to hear from anyone else on this competition.

jevive73 Sun 03-Jul-16 14:19:16

Is anyone else entering??

jevive73 Tue 05-Jul-16 23:55:40

Now I am confused as I can't see the competition on Gransnet?? Am I missing it??

breeze Wed 06-Jul-16 08:37:38

Still there. Look at 'Latest' over on the right and competitions are at the bottom. Click on blue link.

Bebe4r2 Wed 10-Aug-16 11:32:52

I have entered this comp. but seeing that no one from Gransnet admin have answered the mentioned concerns I am beginning to have my doubts, therefore I am considering whether or not to pull my entry.

Come on admin allay our fears. I am going to contact Gransnet and ask them about it.

bumblebee Sat 27-Aug-16 01:01:55

Just stumbled upon this thread. I was one of those who submitted an entry - synopsis/first few pages as it was not a chapter book - but I had only started writing late since I was tied up until mid-July. Hence, I was more concerned with getting something down on paper than spend time going through the rules with a magnifying glass.
That is a very scary point made above that by entering the competition, writers agreed to sign all rights to Bobaloo. However, the Gransnet terms & conditions do clearly state:-
"The Proprietor hereby asserts to the Publisher and to its licensees the Author’s moral rights of paternity in the Work to be identified as Author and the Publisher undertakes to print on the copyright page with due prominence on every edition of the work or under licence the words ‘the right of (author) to be identified as the Author of this Work has been asserted by (author) in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988’."

So, they cannot print the book under a different name without the author's say so. Plus, surely a potential contract would be thrashed out first BEFORE one hands over the completed book (???)

The other strange thing is that upon submission, I didn't receive a confirmation email from Gransnet (that always happens with competitions like these).

Has anyone heard anything further?

jevive73 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:55:42

I was a runner up and am still waiting for the promised invite to the presentation for the winner??

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Apr-17 11:46:50

Don't worry, we've not forgotten you. The book is still in production and - as I understand - no launch date has been scheduled yet. We will keep you posted