Gransnet forums

Writers' room

If I can do it so can you.

(18 Posts)
Maywalk Sat 26-Nov-16 23:07:21

Writing never entered my head until I broke my right hip and left hand about 12 years ago.
It was while recuperating and I was getting SO frustrated because I was unable to do what I normally did, such as knitting and writing comical poetry for personal use plus taking the dog for a walk.
I was 72 at that time and my son suggested teaching me how to use a computer, albeit with one hand because he wanted me to write all my WW2 memories down for future generations.
I had no schooling as they have now and with being an evacuee from the London Blitz my last three years were spent in a makeshift evacuee school in the Midlands and I left school when I was 14.

I enjoyed learning how to use a computer and an I-pad over the years and it led to me getting a WW2 website together that has been visited many thousands of times from worldwide. This in turn helped to make my mind up and do as I had been urged by many who had contacted me through my website about writing a small book concerning the first 20 years of my life which takes in the war years.
This was published and all proceeds have gone to my local Childrens Hospice. I also had some poem books published for the same reason, to help the Hospice.
Through my writings and website I have been invited to give talks and to attend many WW2 re-enactment venues plus being interviewed by TV.
This was all through my son teaching me how to use a computer.
I am 86 now and still in touch with many cyber friends from worldwide but I dont use the computer much now. Having broken my other hip in three places in 2015 and it not healing properly I use my I-pad and Facetime to keep in touch with my lovely family every day.
If I can do it with the education I had so can many of you who call in this site.
Nearly forgot to mention that I have also been contacted by a well known authoress who wanted to write about WW2 and with my information concerning the Home Front she has dedicated the book to me.
I wish you all Good Luck and God Bless.

Jalima Sat 26-Nov-16 23:38:11

Maywalk I am in awe of your achievements!
Well done!

I have every intention of writing our family history in a series of short 'biographies' but I haven't yet got round to it.

Are you allowed to put a link to your website on here as it sounds very interesting and I think DH would be interested too as he remembers a bit about WW2, although he was only a small boy at the time.

Good luck to you too
flowers

Maywalk Sun 27-Nov-16 00:30:30

I dont know if it would be allowed Jalima to put my website on this site but I have sent it to you if it will be of any interest.
Best Wishes.

Jane10 Sun 27-Nov-16 05:47:00

Ask GNHQ if you could put this information on the site. I'm sure they'd understand how interested we'd all be. Congratulations on all that you've done!

Falconbird Sun 27-Nov-16 07:15:29

Maywalk - you are such an inspiration. smile flowers

Maywalk Sun 27-Nov-16 09:27:46

Many thanks Jane and Falconbird for getting back to me.
Dont leave it too long before you write that book that you have locked up inside you.
God Bless.

Jalima Sun 27-Nov-16 11:07:56

Thank you Maywalk

silverlining48 Sun 27-Nov-16 11:18:30

My mum was 15 when war broke out and she carefully handwrote her life before, during and after the war and being german, wrote from that viewpoint. Having alzheimers later in life means I. couldnt ask her questions later in life, but her book answers those questions about her life and experiences.

I have also Written about my life because growing up in the 50's and 60's which was very different to today and i hope it will be of interest to my small grancdhildren sometime in the future.

Good luck maywalk, and i am sure you Will inspire others to do the same.

Maywalk Sun 27-Nov-16 11:49:04

Many thanks Silverlining.
I lost my hubby this year after 66 years of marriage. I nursed him for 5 years with the dreaded Dementia. It was while I was going through his belongngs that I came across his life story that he had written down, which I asked him to do when I first went on the net.I had never read it till then.
It took me right through his early life and us getting married and when our son was born.
Then on to us becoming foster parents to three children who had been left with us with just their ration books. I was 21 and hubby was 23 at that time. We had them for about a year before their parents came for them. Long story but I would do exactly the same if I had my life over again.
While reading it I could hardly see the writing through the tears but it brought back some lovely memories both bad and good. I urge everyone to write about their life because it can be an enthralling tale of years gone by. I much prefer true tales to fictional ones.
Good luck to all.

Greyduster Sun 27-Nov-16 12:15:06

I used to like a write a bit; what I suppose would be called blogs now, but then we didn't know word. In the late seventies DH was posted into the public relations office of a large NATO base and one of his responsibilities was editing the base monthly magazine. I had a few articles accepted. Nothing too cerebral; the most serious I seem to remember was entitled "Women and War - Wives at Waterloo" which seemed to be particularly well recieved. I would wake up in the night with ideas fizzing around in my head and sometimes I'd get up and start writing them down. Then we were posted and I never picked up a pen again.

Maywalk Sun 27-Nov-16 13:47:01

You dont have to pick a pen up now Greyduster. Just let it all flow out through the keyboard.
Dont let the opportunity pass because one never knows what lies ahead.
Get the ideas together and see what it reveals.
Good Luck.

rosesarered Sun 27-Nov-16 14:29:28

Well done Maywalk smile I remember that you used to post on this forum quite a bit in the past.

Maywalk Sun 27-Nov-16 14:58:18

Hi Rosesarered. Nice to be in contact again.
Yes I used to be a regular but with looking after hubby and being in and out of hospital myself it has taken its toll. That is why I am urging folks to jot down about their lives because it will make interesting reading for the next generation.

Shanma Sun 27-Nov-16 15:58:45

Maywalk that is a very inspirational post, Thank You for sharing it.
Your Family must be so proud of you, and rightly so. I am very impressed.I would love to see your website, please would you send me a private message if you are not allowed to put it here?

I look forward to that, Thank You in advance
Shanma

Maywalk Sun 27-Nov-16 17:58:51

Have passed on the website Shanma.
I hope you enjoy the trip back in time.

Carol1ne63 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:06:55

Just come across this thread and it has inspired me to take up writing again. I was given a 'Grandparents' Journal' to complete and, with my new baby granddaughter in mind, will make the effort to crack on. smile

janetmaile Thu 12-Jan-17 15:49:12

When my mother died, we found some stuff she'd written about her experience of living in London during WW2. This inspired me to write a novel about two sisters looking for husbands. She'd met my father at a cycling club and told the story of how they'd seen a dog fight when riding in the countryside. A little while ago I signed a contract with a publisher, so I am looking forward to seeing it in print.

Jane10 Thu 12-Jan-17 16:04:33

Good work Grans! My next book is with the publishers right now. Hope it'll be out soon.
I do a lot of talks and author events and am often approached by people who want to know how to go about publishing their own life stories. (My books are fiction not autobiography). When I asked my publisher what I should say to people about this I'm afraid he wasn't very enthusiastic. Obviously, publishing is a commercial business and he has to focus on sales.
So for those of you keen to get your memories down, maybe blogging is the way ahead?
If anyone is interested in writing stories for magazines the People's Friend provides guidelines and submission info. They pay too!