Gransnet forums

Writers' room

Publisher -first contact

(8 Posts)
Imperfect27 Tue 18-Jul-17 07:08:13

Hi, I have a book idea. I have drafted about 10,000 words. It is non-fiction and will call for me to do some extended reading and research. What I have written so far is a bit of a collection of the various threads I want to include. Whilst I have a clear vision of the aims, purpose and audience for the book, I feel I need some steer - though not at the hand-holding level - and someone to tell me I am not wasting my timesmile.

I have been given encouragement by a professional in the field I am writing about and a prospective publisher's details, but am nervous of this first step. Is there a 'usual' expectation at first point of contact i.e. do you just need to be able to 'vision' the book, or are you expected to send in drafts straight away? I expect replies to tell me that expectations are varied, but would be really pleased to hear of others' experiences and what editorial support they received. Thank you in advance.

Jane10 Tue 18-Jul-17 07:21:43

Most publishers provide clear guidelines for submissions. Usually it's something like a short summary of the whole book and the first three chapters.
I would suggest that you just finish the first draft of the book and take from there. I doubt you would find a publisher to work with you as you write.
Once the book is written there is editing, copy editing, proof reading etc etc etc. I've found that the writing is only the start of a very lengthy process to publication. So get writing!

Imperfect27 Tue 18-Jul-17 08:53:00

Thank you, that is helpful to know. I need to decide what I can give to the project in balance with work commitments, but most of all if it is a viable idea as there will be a fair bit of research involved. I am trying to be disciplined and manage a 1,000 words a day at present - good, bad or ugly - and then editing it down, but I am not working at present - that will change in September. I will work on the coherency of three chapters as I have written what I feel will be several bits of chapters to date. I know that I need to begin to draw these together into a more coherent form - and see what comes!

Eglantine19 Tue 18-Jul-17 09:04:21

You might find a short course ( usually 4 days) with The Arvon Foundation is more than helpful. It is a charitable foundation that works with aspiring writers. Also is your book suitable for a blog? Many publishers now skim blogs for potential books for their list. Think Belle de Jour!

Imperfect27 Tue 18-Jul-17 09:44:47

:0) There is definitely a 'blog' element ... this is what made me realise I have something worth writing about.

I will investigate Arvon, thank you.

GrannyGear Thu 28-Dec-17 21:26:06

Have you considered looking for an agent rather than approaching a publisher directly?
You might also find the Writers' and Artists' Year Book webpage useful.
www.writersandartists.co.uk

NanKate Thu 28-Dec-17 21:40:41

I agree with GrannyG you need to get signed up by a Literary agent who approaches publishers for you and negotiates the money if they decide to buy your book. You need to approach a Literary Agent who already acts for authors who have a similar genre of book to yours.

Getting published is a tricky business so you may like to consider self publishing.

Jane10 Thu 28-Dec-17 22:15:14

But write the book first!