Gransnet forums

Writers' room

Finding a publisher

(11 Posts)
Menopaws Sat 05-Aug-17 08:05:32

Yes I am one of those people who has written stuff unfinished and would like to find a publisher or at least 'someone in the know' to advise and take me under their wing. I have great idea for a book of short witty stories using observations of day to day life from my eyes that will be familiar to so many, along with a simple comical drawing to highlight the event. I have written quite a lot already and had good reviews but now I really want to make this work. I've got Writers Yearbook etc and I physically know what to do but anyone got any advice for this genre of writing? Thanks all

Jane10 Sat 05-Aug-17 08:27:20

A blog?

Eglantine19 Sat 05-Aug-17 10:44:35

For short stories try submitting some to women's magazines. Woman's Weekly gives some helpful advice on their web page and runs courses now and again to give you the information you need to meet their brief for publication.

Menopaws Sat 05-Aug-17 10:47:25

Thanks I have done articles in mags and would like to put all together in a book, ideal small present for like minded same age as me ladies. Appreciate the feedback thanks

Eglantine19 Sat 05-Aug-17 10:55:04

A bit more difficult but at least you have provenance to send to a publisher. The problem is convincing them it's financially profitable. Who was the author who self published the first three chapters of his novel and gave it away on railway stations? So many people wanted to read on that he got a publishing deal.
Free short story at Waterloo? ?

Menopaws Sat 05-Aug-17 11:01:41

I need a midlife publisher with children ,grandchildren ,elderly parent and dog ,who gets what I'm about!

goldengirl Sat 05-Aug-17 11:08:11

You could self publish and promote via social media. You would then be in charge rather than be reliant on someone else.

Jane10 Sat 05-Aug-17 14:56:58

Write your book then see what you've actually got. Decide what genre it is (eg fiction, crime, humour etc) then set about thinking how to go about publishing. Who would buy it? How could it be marketed? Many options these days. However, the publishing companies are all about the money. If they don't think people will buy it they won't be interested. Build a blog following and you can prove the interest might be there. Its a very very crowded market. Previous suggestions are well worth checking out as well as what I PM'd you.

Catterygirl Mon 11-Dec-17 11:21:00

Let us know how things are progressing. I have about six half written books.

Humbertbear Mon 11-Dec-17 15:49:48

I think you need to find an agent who will know which publisher would be interested in your book. Many publishers receive too many unsolicited manuscripts to ever read them.
Many authors now self publish online eg see Endeavour Books. If their book is successful it is retaken up by a print publisher.

Catterygirl Tue 12-Dec-17 07:15:19

I am off to google Endeavour Books.