Gransnet forums

Writers' room

Recipes of the Day.

(17 Posts)
DeeWBW Sat 28-Oct-17 12:40:32

Whenever I see a recipe I really like the sound of, I always rush to make it and this is how I feel now to make the banana loaf. What a disappointment when I saw 'cups' in the ingredients. How much is in a 'cup (I know this depends on what the ingredient is)'? So, if I don't have a 'cup', how will I know how much of each ingredient I need? Where do I get a 'cup', or what will suffice (a mug, a teacup, an eggcup)?

annsixty Sat 28-Oct-17 13:12:27

I think you need an American style measuring cup which I have seen for sale in Dunelm. The tv programmes featuring American chefs always use them.
Good luck.

jusnoneed Sat 28-Oct-17 13:17:52

I bought a set of "cups" from ebay, you could probably get them from a local cook shop if you have one. They are not expensive. So many nice online recipes seem to be measured in cups so that's why I got a set.
Google would probably tell you, but you might have to wade through for different ingredient measurements.

Hilltopgran Sat 28-Oct-17 13:47:31

I have a set of cup measures from Lakeland. The cup is equivalent to 4ozs, or 250 ml for fluids.

kittylester Sat 28-Oct-17 13:57:07

But, so long as you use the same cup for everything, it doesn't matter!

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Oct-17 14:31:16

I have a set which I found in TK Maax

But, as kittylester says, if you use the same cup for everything it should work out just fine.

ps I just googled it and a cup of flour weighs 4 and a quarter ounces - 120 grams.

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Oct-17 14:31:28

Maxx? hmm

hildajenniJ Sat 28-Oct-17 16:00:14

I bought my cup measures in Waitrose. here's a chart

Greenfinch Sat 28-Oct-17 16:47:48

Robert Dyas has them too.

Fennel Sat 28-Oct-17 20:25:15

But are all cup measurements the same?
eg are American cups the same size as Waitrose cups?

shysal Sat 28-Oct-17 21:29:30

I have a set of cups from Ebay, but discovered that they are Australian. I have no idea how they compare with those from USA. It is all very well to use the same cups for all ingredients, but sometimes there will be a number of eggs which need to be in proportion.

M0nica Sun 29-Oct-17 19:08:29

It doesn't matter. It is the proportionate relationship that matters.

Merryn Tue 07-Nov-17 06:15:57

I don’t know why I find recipes with cups so annoying - but I do. If the recipe looks promising enough, I measure it all out (using a set of cup measures from Sainsbury’s) and then weigh the measured ingredient in grams (or ml if it is liquid) and write that down. Then - hey presto - I’ve converted the recipe for future use. After a while, the conversions for Commonly used ingredients such a flour will stick in your memory.

JackyB Tue 07-Nov-17 06:59:11

I find it very annoying, too - even American friends have trouble with it - how to get butter into a cup and then out again??? Reducing it to proportions is fine, until you get to eggs, as Shysal says.

The measuring out on the scales and then writing down the weights method which Merryn describes is the only way, but it is such a hassle!

I still think in ounces and have to do all sorts of arithmetical gymnastics working out basic amounts for pastry (4 oz flour to 2 oz fat and a tablespoonful of water is equivalent to 100g flour, 50g fat and 15 ml water?) or Victoria sponge (2 oz/50g each of fat, flour and sugar per egg).

Here in Germany many ingredients mentioned in American recipes are unheard of and certainly not available - come to that, half of the ingredients in British recipes aren't available here either.

Jane10 Tue 07-Nov-17 07:15:07

I saw a thread had opened on the 'Writers Room' section. How disappointed I was to see it was about measuring cups!!

DeeWBW Wed 22-Nov-17 18:41:17

Hi Kittylester. I've just seen these comments now and I note yours as 'as long as you have the same cup for everything, it doesn't matter'.

Yes and no. Sometimes, some ingredients are described as cups and others in the same recipe as ounces. So, if I use a large mug-size cup to the 200 mls. of whatever, the mixture will be a lot drier than if I use a dainty cup to the same 200 mls.. Sloppy might not work and stiff may not work, either. This is my dilemma. Actually, strangely enough, I've just found a set of cheap, brown plastic 'cups' in a drawer in my kitchen. I have no idea how long I've had them, or how they came into my possession but it's bombs away now!

DanniRae Thu 23-Nov-17 09:13:33

My daughter bought a set for me from Poundland - I think they are part of the Jane Asher bake ware line.