Gransnet forums

Writers' room

Erik the cat.

(7 Posts)
stree Tue 09-Oct-18 20:34:06

This was written one night to capture a moment, just to remind of that instance rather for any literary merit...

I was reading, deep in an armchair in front of the fire with Erik the cat ( a rescued stray kitten , a soot coloured Persian with a plume of a tail) and at the time about a three years old and fully grown to be beautiful, snoozing peacefully, sprawled warm across my arms and chest…….when for no apparent reason he awoke, turned his head to face me and…

“Beginning with a stretch, and ending with an all important exercise,
To ever so gently, almost imperceptibly, touch the tip of my nose,
without moving any other part than the stretching paw.
Warm soft paw, smelling ever so slightly of pads dried in timeless cosy glows.

Then Touched! in the sparkle of an instant…………
Just the tip of my nose
Hardly, if ever, touching
An eye shining instant
Of everything as one
Then curled again in a movement of slow poured silk,
Head in chest
my smile and Eriks purring the only echoes..”
And I lifted the book, and read again,
With a happiness for two

Melanieeastanglia Tue 09-Oct-18 20:52:35

Very good. People think writing is easy sometimes but I think being a successful poet or author is hard work.

stree Tue 09-Oct-18 21:30:18

Thank you. I certainly cannot claim to be an author or poet in the sense I think you mean, my stuff is incedental to everything thing else about me.
I write infrequently, when I get the words they almost pour out as one, I do some tidying up, but generally they are as they came.
I doubt I could produce anything if say just given a title or a theme or topic to work from. Perhaps I could, but am happy enough without making it feel like it might be work.
Just observational, my way of remenbering, a diary of images and feelings.
When I look at the words again I remember a time place or incident vividly. I suppose I am a nostalgic, if that is a correct use of the word.

Grannyknot Tue 09-Oct-18 22:05:51

I like that too Stree.

My grandad used to write, and as each exercise book (journal) he kept was full, he would write these words on the inside front cover of the new one: " I realise my ignorance, but write obedient to an urge from within".

He went to school for the first time properly at about age 16 ...

We are lucky to still have many of his journals in the family.

Chewbacca Tue 09-Oct-18 22:11:50

Stree I liked that very much. Your words perfectly set the scene in my mind's eye and I could visualise Erik doing as exactly as you describe. Write more!

stree Wed 10-Oct-18 12:57:48

Grannyknot, intriguing,those journals are a great legacy.

Chewbacca, thanks for kind comment! Erik was a much loved moggy.
I think I will put a few more of my writings on here.

ruddycoly Mon 22-Oct-18 16:06:03

Great story! Keep writing.