Nut roast recipe from pipparj
Ingredients2 large parsnips
Oil, to grease
1 small savoy cabbage, 4–6 outer leaves only
1 red onion
150g chestnut mushrooms
100g cooked chestnuts
100g cheese of your choice as long as it crumbles and it veggie safe
100g breadcrumbs (original recipe uses brown, but I always use white)
2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 free-range egg
Handy HintChop all the ingredients quite finely - the finer they are, the better it all holds together, I find. I always use cheddar cheese as I'm not keen on Stilton - just make sure that the cheese is suitable for vegetarians and hasn't been made usinf rennet
Method1. Preheat the over to 180C.
2. Boil and mash parsnips
3. Blanch 6 savoy cabbage leaves in boiling, salted water for 2 minutes (these are to line the tin-the nutroast comes out looking as if its been wrapped in them). You're also supposed to dip the leaves straight into icy water before you put them in the tin.
4. Chop and toast the hazelnuts on a high heat, then put aside.
5. Fry the onions in butter then add mushrooms and cook until soft.
6. Put the hazelnuts a bowl with the chopped chestnuts, crumbled cheese, breadcrumbs and sage, then the parsnips and mixture of onions and mushrooms.
7. Finish off by adding the egg (beaten), some seasoning, and mix it all together.
8. Pack it into the loaf tin and fold the cabbage leaves over the top. Wrap in foil and cook for about 45 minutes.
9. Then take the foil off and let it cook for about another 20 minutes