Gransnet forums

AIBU

New update on my reclusive neighbours.....

(244 Posts)
AlieOxon Mon 27-Apr-15 17:28:51

Today they set their kitchen on fire.
First I knew of it was a knock on my door from other neighbours who had already rung 999. Smoke billowing out of their front door next to mine.
There have been three fire engines, two ambulances and two police cars here all afternoon.....the man next door has gone to hospital and the paramedics spent ages I think trying to persuade the woman not to stay in the house tonight...she sat on the fire engine step for about two hours... ....but eventually she went back in.

Firemen had to check my loft for smoke. My house is smoky.
I have been staying out of it..these people are too weird for me to deal with. Not happy with this situation though.
I just went out to get an update from a fireman, and apparently various people will now be involved in the next few days and I have been asked to ring environmental health tomorrow.
Could also ring councillor who helped before!

AIBU to dread having to go on living next door to them?

Mishap Mon 27-Apr-15 17:31:12

Oh dear - now that is worrying.

AlieOxon Mon 27-Apr-15 17:40:25

I have rung the councillor. She says, let her know how I get on with the EH Dept tomorrow.
Just hope it isn't still the same woman there, who got very fed up with me before....maybe I will try for her boss.

tanith Mon 27-Apr-15 17:42:54

Thats scary..

loopylou Mon 27-Apr-15 17:45:49

It sounds to me as if your Council's Vulnerable Adults team should be involved and investigate whether they're safe to live there as well as the risks to you and your other neighbours.
I shudder to think what might have been the outcome if the fire had started at night, not only for them but also for you.
I hope they have insurance..........
Very worrying for you.

Charleygirl Mon 27-Apr-15 17:55:20

That is horrendous, but with any luck this will get that pair out of the house permanently because they are putting your life at risk. I agree, it could have been a different outcome if it had happened during the night.

AlieOxon Mon 27-Apr-15 18:50:15

My daughter already said this! Very true.
They have left a paramedic in an ambulance on the road outside, but I don't know how long for.

AlieOxon Mon 27-Apr-15 18:57:46

The paramedic is phoning to try and get some help tonight.

FarNorth Mon 27-Apr-15 22:14:27

Wow, that's scary. I hope there's some quick action to sort this situation out.

harrigran Mon 27-Apr-15 23:21:48

How dreadful for you Alie, why did the fire and ambulance service not call someone to talk to the woman ? this couple are clearly a danger to themselves and others.

AlieOxon Tue 28-Apr-15 07:27:16

I think that was what the paramedic was doing, but I don''t know what if anything happened.

I find what's worrying me more than anything is that they weren't trying to call 999. Man from No 18, the other side, offered help and they insisted they were managing! Apparently with a large hole in their kitchen window and smoke coming out....I didn't see the beginning.

They've been denying that there is anything wrong in the way they live....this from the last time I talked to the man at 16 about three years ago. (I am 14 they are 16 the other half of the semi.)

AlieOxon Tue 28-Apr-15 07:33:50

'Vulnerable adults team'...do they deal with people like this? Who won't admit they are not coping and OWN their house?

I am aware that if this was still a council house things could have been sorted out years ago!

Anne58 Tue 28-Apr-15 07:33:56

A danger to themselves and others! Alie every good wish that this gets sorted out once and for all!

glammanana Tue 28-Apr-15 08:10:34

What an absolute nightmare for you I certainly hope you get some decent help from that EH and that the woman you dealt with last time has moved on she was hopeless wasn't she,these people need moving into sheltered accommodation asap for your safety and their own. I hope this gets sorted this time its gone on far to long,if they had died in the fire people would be shouting why was it allowed to happen wouldn't they.?

AlieOxon Tue 28-Apr-15 13:49:55

I am so angry! I have just been phoned from Environmental Health by a man who knew nothing about the situation and who gave the impression that he had been told to shut me up.

He started off by saying that he assumed that the occupiers of No. 16 would be getting in touch with their insurers.....uh? what??
I told him it was very unlikely that they were insured at all.

He ended by saying that if necessary they would be in touch with relevant people and implying that not much needed to be done anyway....
I stopped listening to his standard spiel in the middle!
(Just a small fire, after all....it's out.....)

....and when I hung up I realised I had got so angry that I hadn't remembered his name!
Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Eloethan Tue 28-Apr-15 14:12:04

AlieOxon I'm sorry to hear that your neighbours have caused you even more problems - it must be very upsetting and worrying for you.

It seems that the council people really aren't supporting you at all. Did you speak to your MP previously? If it were me, that is probably the route I'd go down now because your MP can put pressure on the council or suggest who else might be able to help.

Elegran Tue 28-Apr-15 14:21:23

Dial 1471 and get his phone number. When he answers say, I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name when you phoned me a few minutes ago. If someone else anwers, ask them who phoned you.

Write to the office telling them what you have told us (copy and paste quotes to save time) and also telling them of past occasions where these people have caused problems. If it is writing they can't shut you up. If necessary get onto your MP.

Elegran Tue 28-Apr-15 14:22:31

Suggest he comes round to see for himself? That he speaks to the paramedics? To the fire brigade? To the neighbours?

Coolgran65 Tue 28-Apr-15 14:59:20

I would certainly make a complaint about this guy's attitude.
Only a small fire..... small fires turn into big fires !!
Even if you don't know his name - to quote the department, date and time should pin point it... complain to the Mayor's office about the attitude of public servant.

AlieOxon Tue 28-Apr-15 14:59:54

What I did was call the councillor I phoned last night, and she suggested the same thing - so she is to phone him!

Writing and getting onto MP are good ideas too. Thanks.

AlieOxon Tue 28-Apr-15 15:02:07

And I've started a log of what happens.

FlicketyB Tue 28-Apr-15 17:14:06

Alie Speak to Age UK. Oxfordshire Age UK has an Information Desk and as the website says:^Contact us on 0345 450 1276 and ask for the helpline.^

Some years ago I was a Helpline volunteer there and I worked with people who had all sorts of problems from uncontrolled dogs to elder abuse. Quite often a letter on Age Concern (as it was then) note paper was enough to galvanise officials into action.

I would also speak to the Fire Service. They have home safety and fire prevention officers, who could also probably help you. They too have clout in situations like yours. The people next door are clearly a risk to your life and well-being.

If all else fails contact the local paper.

Ana Tue 28-Apr-15 18:06:37

I really sympathise, Alie, these neighbours have blighted your life for far too long. I'ts hard to know what to do if the authorities you'd think would take action don't seem to be taking the matter seriously.

I'm not sure what good contacting the local paper would do though - you can't exactly name and shame these people or give any information which could identify them, as they may be classed as vulnerable.

rosesarered Tue 28-Apr-15 18:18:35

Just noticed this thread Alie, what a worrying time you have had.others have said most of the comments, that I would have said, but anyway do hope it will all be sorted soon for you.flowers

AlieOxon Tue 28-Apr-15 18:19:24

I'm sure they are vulnerable, I had thought about the local paper two years ago and decided against it.
Trouble is they don't think they are! They're completely in denial about the state of their house......were?....probably still are.

I'm now trying to find out if anyone can provide them smoke alarm (Fire people) fire extinguisher and/or emergency phone to call 999.
This would certainly make ME feel safer!

I got the Age UK line but they said I really need to contact the local branch, so I will in the morning.

Re MP...I think that's for after the election!