Gransnet forums

Chat

Tipping yes or no or what?

(41 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 14-Feb-15 10:25:59

I'm going to the hairdresser today. It will cost what seems to me a fortune. The girl who does my hair is lovely and I always give her a fiver tip. Is that enough ? Should it be more? I just don't know the 'rules'. I always tip in restaurants if service has been good and round up taxi fares to nearest pound -slightly more sometimes. What do people think about tipping?

Kiora Sat 14-Feb-15 10:30:01

Yep Jane my hairdresser gets a fiver and another £3 for the girl who washes my hair.

lefthanded Sat 14-Feb-15 10:35:47

My wife always tips her hairdresser £5 and I really don't understand why. She (the hairdresser) owns the business and is already charging enough - why should we give her more?

Mishap Sat 14-Feb-15 10:38:47

I have never tipped a hairdresser.

sunseeker Sat 14-Feb-15 10:42:52

I usually tip around 10% of the bill, but only if I am happy with the service I have received.

ninathenana Sat 14-Feb-15 10:45:17

I only tip my hairdresser of the past 10yrs at Christmas. I do tip in restaurants and DH tipped the coach driver after our week away recently.

jo1book Sat 14-Feb-15 10:54:08

I always tip my hairdresser £5, which is, sometimes ,not even 10% of the bill . We always give 10% to restaurants. £5 to postman at Xmas.
I am starting to give £5 to Hermes and the DHL guy.

janeainsworth Sat 14-Feb-15 10:55:25

Yes Jane10 I'm going to the hairdresser today and I'll give her £5.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 14-Feb-15 10:59:18

I only have a dry trim - £13. She gets a quid.

We eat out mostly in pubs. No tip if I can help it. Unless we are in a part of the country where I get the feeling folks are not too well off. Then I tip about three quid.

POGS Sat 14-Feb-15 11:08:11

Blimey, I only pay £8 for my hair cut so mine would think a £5 tip was brilliant. I give her £10 .

Mind you I am a cut and go client, I hate 'faffing', My daughter colours my hair at home.

I suppose it all depends what you have done. If you have as wash, cut, styling, colouring and products then your bill will be quite hefty and the time in the salon could be a couple of hours or so. I suppose £5 would seem reasonable.

I must admit I feel uncomfortable with the whole concept of tipping and service charges. We even tip when the service has been rubbish! What's that all about! grin

soontobe Sat 14-Feb-15 11:32:03

I am a what.

I have always tipped. We spend a long time chatting, so I feel I should.

But as I have said on gransnet once before, I have come to realise that the hairdressers are going on better holidays than me!
So I have begun to question why I do it. Plus, as far as I can see, any tips seem to go straight into the general till, but I may be wrong about that.

So, as I say, I am at the "what" stage.
I think I am going to ask next time, what happens about tips. I will then tip whatever that day's answer is.
But after that, I may then choose to possibly stop tipping. But I am not quite sure I can always bring myself to do that.

Jane10 Sat 14-Feb-15 11:44:09

Very reassuring all. My hairdo usually costs around £85. It takes about one and a half hours. Quite a good hourly rate I reckon. I don't tip the hairwash girl as she's useless -always was ,not taking revenge on me! I go about 4 times a year. Everyone else posting seems to do about the same as me in tipping in general so I feel OK about it. Thanks all -just off to hairdresser now

rockgran Sat 14-Feb-15 12:41:38

I do tip in restaurants, etc.(at least 10%) but my haircut is just £8 so i tip £1 and give her a bit more at Christmas. I thought hairdressers and waiters were taxed on expected tips and may end up paying tax on tips they don't receive. I agree it is a minefield and should be sorted. In New Zealand (on holiday) our tip was refused by a waitress because she said it is not their culture and they are paid properly. (I made her take it anyway but it was an eyeopener.)

harrigran Sat 14-Feb-15 12:50:22

I check before leaving tips in restaurants, most of the ones I frequent add a service charge anyway. I usually say " keep the change" but they say they put it in the charity box and do not give it to staff.
Hairdresser gets a tip of about 10%, she uses my shampoo, conditioner and electricity so think it is enough.

ginny Sat 14-Feb-15 16:21:45

I only tip if someone has gone above and beyond what they are paid to do. Nobody 'tips' me for doing my job. Many of those who expect a tip are better off than those who are doing the tipping.

Charleygirl Sat 14-Feb-15 17:01:56

Oh dear my Scottish upbringing comes out I think when it comes to tipping. It costs £23 for my hair and I round it up to £25.

Coolgran65 Sat 14-Feb-15 17:21:51

Haircut £18, round it up to £20.
Even when I was working and paid for colour etc at a more expensive hairdresser don't think I ever tipped the length of £5.

Veryoldbear Sat 14-Feb-15 17:53:33

Cor blimey. It's a lot easier being a bloke ... I can have a shampoo, haircut, beard trim, ears cleared, oil changed and new spark plugs for under twenty quid (including discount for being an Old Bear) and round it up ...

inishowen Sat 14-Feb-15 19:16:19

I get a dry trim and it costs £10. I only give £1 tip. Now I'm worried it's not enough. I have thin hair and it only takes 10 minutes to cut it. Am I being mean?

FarNorth Sat 14-Feb-15 19:42:31

This is something I've wondered about for years.
I never used to give a tip when I had long hair and just needed a trim along the ends.
For quite a few years now I've had short hair and I get a dry trim every 6-8 weeks.
I started off not tipping for that either but now I've got into the habit of giving £2 or £3, as well as the cost of £10. It seems to go into a small container and I presume each stylist has one of those.
I'm quite cheered to read the replies on here as I seem to be doing all right tip-wise. smile

FarNorth Sat 14-Feb-15 19:44:14

p.s. Other hairdressers I went to before this one, charged quite a bit more. So I am paying less now than I did with them, even including the tip.

Atrig Sat 14-Feb-15 20:03:33

Wow some of you do have to pay a lot. My hairdresser is very reasonably priced but it is the owner who does mine so it feels odd to tip her. Instead I give a substantial sum at Christmas as all their tips go into the pot for their Christmas outing

numberplease Sat 14-Feb-15 21:47:25

I`ve never tipped a hairdresser, me and my husband never got a tip for doing our jobs, and I only go about twice a year when I`ve saved up enough, so can`t afford to tip anyway.

Deedaa Sat 14-Feb-15 21:50:37

My OAP's wash and cut is about£10 and I give her a £2 tip. It's only a small place so the girl who cuts it also does the shampooing so I don't have to worry about that.

Leticia Sat 14-Feb-15 21:59:05

I never tip the hairdresser. I hate tipping altogether and wish we could get rid of it for everything.