Gransnet forums

Chat

Packing for holidays

(119 Posts)
mrsmopp Mon 17-Aug-15 00:13:17

I make the same mistake every time- i pack far too much, only leaving the kitchen sink behind. Anyone else as bad as me? I bring half of it back unworn. But I always think I'd better take so and so just in case.... I might need it.
Shoes for example, you need flip flops, sandals, different colours to go with different things, etc.
I wish I could travel light - it would be so much easier.

Tegan Mon 17-Aug-15 00:21:29

I'm going to Birmingham for two days and I've packed teabags and enough undies for a week blush#can'thavetoomanyjustincase

Grannyknot Mon 17-Aug-15 07:20:59

I pack very light! Mostly because I can't stand lugging heavy suitcases (and I've learnt over time).

These are my tips:

A few weeks before we go away, I start making a list of clothes that I can "mix and match", including shoes. The list is usually on my bedside table and I add to it or cross out as I think about it as it occurs to me. Come packing day, I stick to the list.

I also tell myself that whatever else I may need, I can usually buy wherever I'll be.

My suitcase is usually heavier on the way back! I like buying something that reminds me of my holiday when I wear it back home ... often it's a T-shirt.

soontobe Mon 17-Aug-15 07:39:37

I am learning but only slowly.
Only properly learnt because someone had to drag my suitcase around once, and even though it was a small one, I felt guilty.

I have cut right down on bottles/toothpaste etc.
I now either buy small bottles for holiday, or have 3/4 used creams/lotions etc which does help to cut weight down.

Also clothes. I keep a close eye on weather reports for the area to try and cut out some of the clothes packing guessing game.

Shoes. I dont possess different colours for different outfits, so perhaps cant help you on that.

whitewave Mon 17-Aug-15 07:56:05

Love all the planning!!! Get out the potential clothes, try to decide put them away then a couple of days later start again!! Very bad at taking too much though.

hobbitgran Mon 17-Aug-15 08:06:30

Oh so wish I had the packing light gene! Cruise coming up next month. Will make a list. Just like Grannyknot says and then ignore it. There's no hope for me. grin

shysal Mon 17-Aug-15 08:52:54

I'm with you mrsmopp. I don't holiday any more, but used to take far too many 'just in case' items, My lists were for things to take, to do and to buy, and took up 2 sides of A4 with narrow spacing, and that didn't include clothes. blush In my defense, I often lent various glues, string, sewing kit, tools etc. to others when away.
When DD2 married abroad, the best man, in his speech, said he had received no cards for the couple, but expected that the bride's mother had a fax machine in her case!

annodomini Mon 17-Aug-15 09:19:44

I'm off south by train early this afternoon and I haven't packed yet. All the stuff I need is piled on top of my suitcase! And here I am putting off the evil hour!

baubles Mon 17-Aug-15 09:52:53

Have a look at THiS thread.

It helps if you have a fairly streamlined wardrobe to start with. smile

sunseeker Mon 17-Aug-15 10:06:43

I usually put everything I want to take on the spare bed then going through it several times until I have got it to a manageable level. Shoes are difficult but I usually take 2 pairs of sandals (one pair for walking around during the day and one pair for beach or pool), one pair of black shoes for evening plus the pair I wear on the plane. The only thing I don't compromise on is underwear - if I am going for 14 days I take at least 28 changes (usually throw in a couple more "just in case").

rosesarered Mon 17-Aug-15 10:18:43

I like to travel light, and have found that two pairs of shoes are all you will ever need( want is a different thing altogether.) Keeping the colours and patterns simple is another tip,' things that go' together.One light jacket and one roll up waterproof jacket.One cardigan type thing, that you can travel in and will be warm if needed, or can be rolled up for your head to nap on in the plane.Of course, if you are going on a more formal style of holiday then you may need more, but we don't do that sort, or cruise etc.

rosesarered Mon 17-Aug-15 10:22:51

Mr Roses is another kettle of fish though, and has to be rescued from his own insanity. his method is to pile up everything he owns on the spare bed,
And then gibber about how will everything ' go in' the suitcase.At that point I
Usually make him a cup of tea, and go off to pack what he will really need for the holiday.

Charleygirl Mon 17-Aug-15 10:31:01

I also no longer go on holiday but when I did I seemed to forget that there were shops at my destination if I did forget anything. A week's holiday meant enough underwear for 2 weeks + wash powder "just in case". I would not know what "light" meant.

Even going into hospital for a few days for major surgery, I packed enough as though I would be there 3 months.

SloeGinny Mon 17-Aug-15 10:40:44

I love the idea of making a list of things to take in advance. I'm a real lists person, so don't know why this brilliant scheme hadn't occurred to me before!

Grannyknot Mon 17-Aug-15 11:01:52

sloe the point about the list is, that I don't just make a list, I compile a list over a period of time grin. In other words, I may start with a current favourite outfit that I know I want on my hols, and then build on that with matching combinations, or start the next one. I'm not usually much of a list person, but I do like my holiday packing list, it makes me feel secure and not stressed and I can usually pack in under an hour. I even list cosmetics and first aid etc. smile

I never take a lot of shoes. Usually one pair of comfortable sandals, one pair for "going out", a pair of walking shoes and slip ons if I'm going on a plane. That's it.

gillybob Mon 17-Aug-15 11:04:29

We are taking the 3 DGC to The Lakes in our touring caravan for 5 days next week.

What on earth to pack?

From experience the weather could be amazing chance would be a fine thing in which case we will only need shorts and tee shirts all week. There again much more likely it will be cold, cloudy and wet in which case we will need thermals, thick trousers, fleeces, raincoats and wellies.

The problem arises when you have very limited space in the car and the bit you do have is taken up with bikes, scooters, books, DVD's, dolls, dolls buggies, cars, kites, balls, bats .................. smile

baubles Mon 17-Aug-15 11:23:01

Gilly since you're travelling by car why don't you try those vacuum storage bags for the bulkier items? Some of them work by rolling the air out if you don't have a vacuum cleaner at the caravan.

I use them sometimes in my cabin luggage.

janerowena Mon 17-Aug-15 11:36:24

gilly you are going to The Lakes.

You just need a raincoat, boots and waterproof trousers over any old thing. No-one will ever get to see what you have on underneath. grin

JackyB Mon 17-Aug-15 11:43:36

For the past few years I have made trips every few weeks with Ryanair to visit my mother in the UK. My bag weighs about 3 kg. All the necessary toiletries I keep at Mum's (not allowed to take larger bottles of liquids anyway), and I count off the exact number of knickers, pairs of socks (only in winter) and tops I shall need. Bra and jeans I wear for a few days longer than at home, reducing the need for spares in the luggage. As long as I've got my passport, purse with some Sterling in it, my tickets, phone and charger, anything I've forgotten I can get at the airport on arrival. Presents for my mother (usually flowers) I pick up at the airport, too.

I can't pack in advance because I won't remember I've packed it and I leave packing the absolute necessaries until right at the end to prevent panic attacks on the way to the airport.

If you're staying anywhere longer than 2 weeks, your bag shouldn't be any bigger than it would be for a few days, as surely you're going to have to wash things.

Back in the day, we went camping, and had the car full with absolutely everything including the sink. I had a list which I printed out* every year which went into several pages. There was never anything we didn't use, though.

I miss the fact that before leaving for our annual holiday, I would check through the entire contents of our medicine cabinet and throw out the old stuff and replenish it ready for the journey. When we got back, I would wash all the blankets to get the bits of grass and stuff off and to get them clean and fragrant for use in the house for the winter.

The main problem these days is that, having spent all those years with my head full of details and lists and the whereabouts of five people's belongings, I no longer any feel the joy or excitement in going away. Staying at home is far easier and I envy those of you who don't go on holiday.

*Well, way back in the early 80s I probably copied it out or xeroxed it.

Elegran Mon 17-Aug-15 11:45:08

I don't think the vacuum storage bags work for scooters and dolls' buggies.

ninathenana Mon 17-Aug-15 11:54:03

I've learnt over time to streamline my packing. Though if travelling by car to somewhere in the UK the boot does have a few "just in case" items. If your taking a touring caravan can the bulky items not travel in the van, have you thought of a bike rack ?

janerowena. grin

JackyB Mon 17-Aug-15 11:59:34

Having bored you with my own experiences I still have something to add: Gillybob, with regard to toys etc - we used to find plenty of ways of improvising with things that we picked up along the way and would otherwise have chucked out such as yoghurt pots, or cereal packets.

Concentrate on the clothes for the cold and wet. If it's warm and you're wearing t shirts etc, you can wash and dry them and re-use them. Don't put jumpers etc in the wash - you never know if you'll need them again. (This might just be me - I can't bring myself to wear something that's been relegated to the linen basket, so it's best not to put it there.)

Give each of the children a backpack (identical except perhaps in different colours) and tell them that they can only take what fits into that.

You'll be amazed what can double up or even serve triple purposes. Let them play with saucepans and any other indestructible item in the caravan.

Small things that can provide lots of different games, provided you know the games and can teach them, such as

A pack of cards
some dice
A tennis ball
A frisbee
A skipping rope
Paper and crayons/pencils
String and blankets

Take as many things in an inflatable version as you can (Don't forget a repair kit)
For rounders, cricket or football you can find big stones or other objects for the goals, wickets or the posts.
Buy cheap beach games and throw them away or give them to another family before you leave.

gillybob Mon 17-Aug-15 12:09:29

Good idea baubles We have a roof box for the car and it might be a good idea to condense the clothes down which will leave plenty room for the toys in the boot. We have a big awning that we carry in the caravan and DH won't overload it as its too dangerous.

We do have a small vacuum cleaner in the caravan so will be ideal. Thanks.

Stansgran Mon 17-Aug-15 12:19:30

I made a list when I came back a good few years ago of what I had taken and what I wished I had taken and what I never wore. It's been amazingly useful as I buy clothes to last. Sadly the in photos I'm always wearing the same stuff. I also have printout of what DH needs for his fishing holidays as he plans ahead three weeks.

gillybob Mon 17-Aug-15 12:24:58

We have a very large awning ninathenana that has to travel in the back of the van together with the awning carpet, pots, pans, bedding etc. so wouldn't dare put anything else in there for fear of overloading which can be very dangerous as well as get you into trouble.

We have considered a bike rack as three bikes do take a lot of room up and they are getting bigger every year ! I think there are only a few that you can use on the back of the car when you are towing and they seem to be very expensive.

We do have most of the things you listed permanently stored in the caravan JackyB together with several bored board games and lots and lots of colouring things and a giant (very lightweight) festival flag for finding your way back !

You are right there janerowena I have yet to spend a sunny day in the Lake District . grin We let the children choose where they wanted to go and they adore the South Lakes Animal Park so it had to be there !