Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think of Boaty McBoatface?

(114 Posts)
Alima Wed 23-Mar-16 08:41:14

When the National Environment Research Council asked the public for help in naming their new vessel they did not know the runaway choice would be so different to the one they intended. Boaty McBoatface is way ahead in the race. Luckily NERC will be able to discount the winning name. I think it is brilliant, typical of our humour. One of the other suggestions was to name it David Attenborough, on the face of it a more apt title. What do you think?

Alea Wed 23-Mar-16 08:44:08

gringrin Silly, but it made me smile!

merlotgran Wed 23-Mar-16 08:46:05

DH was incensed and that made me laugh even more grin

obieone Wed 23-Mar-16 08:47:40

I really dislike the way some things are decided by the public, then because a tiny minority of other people dont like it, they change it.

Doesnt really matter in this case. The boat will always be known as Boaty McBoatface. Yeah!

phoenix Wed 23-Mar-16 08:48:00

NERC will have the final say, no matter how the voting goes, but it did make me smile!

My guess is that it will end up being Henry Worsley. (I hope I've got the name right)

Alima Wed 23-Mar-16 08:50:38

Yes Phoenix, I have yet to google Henry Worsley!

BBbevan Wed 23-Mar-16 08:51:03

Boaty Boatface gringrin

Teetime Wed 23-Mar-16 08:52:50

Yes I like it - aren't boats often called funny names.

NanaandGrampy Wed 23-Mar-16 08:53:04

It made be chuckle , there was also a suggestion RRS Hussain Boat. Im sure a sensible suggestion will prevail but as dark clouds continue to gather across the world a little lighthearted humour is always welcome in our house.

Jane10 Wed 23-Mar-16 08:53:10

I bet it will always be known as Boaty McBoatface no matter what serious official name they decide to give it. Fair cheered me up when I first heard it.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 23-Mar-16 09:05:02

Did you see the picture of the SW train going into Waterloo yesterday - driver had changed destination to Trainy McTrainface. Made people smile on a very non smiley day

Jane10 Wed 23-Mar-16 09:06:43

Brilliant Cari!

whitewave Wed 23-Mar-16 09:07:37

I think it shows the British sense id humour, it is good not to take ourselves too seriously.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 23-Mar-16 09:09:27

Here www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/commuters-salute-guard-after-trainy-mctrainface-pulls-into-waterloo-a3209291.html

And agree whitewave

Jayh Wed 23-Mar-16 09:09:38

That's what you get for asking the public to choose. The public is a very naughty boy. I love it. ?

NanaandGrampy Wed 23-Mar-16 09:09:44

I love that Cari the world needs more of that!

Elegran Wed 23-Mar-16 09:10:20

Before Edinburghs's sewage disposal system was modernised, the effluent was taken well out to sea and dumped, by the good ship Gardyloo ("Watch out for the water" - the traditional cry from the top windows of the capital's tenements, as maids emptied the slops onto the street below)

This happened within my memory, and you could take a trip down the Firth of Forth on the Gardyloo to see the performance in action.

loopylou Wed 23-Mar-16 09:11:29

It's quirky and I love it ?

Elegran Wed 23-Mar-16 09:12:15

Not the emptying of slop buckets onto the Royal Mile, I hasten to add.

baubles Wed 23-Mar-16 09:14:58

It made me laugh and I love the train driver getting in on the joke. grin

obieone Wed 23-Mar-16 09:16:04

What was the point of people being asked to make suggestions? Big moan alert. They should do the honourable thing and name it Boaty McBoatface.

Alima Wed 23-Mar-16 09:20:11

Obione, apparently NERC assumed only those in the know would offer suggestions. It was when a presenter from Radio Jersey took it up that the name caught on. Lucky he did, it has raised many a smile!
Love Trainy McTrainface too!

Alishka Wed 23-Mar-16 09:28:09

I'd put good money on it being called that from now on despite its 'official ' name whatever that may be.grin

Here in Birmingham in Victoria Square we have a naked lady lounging in a pool..the real name is 'the river'. Not many people know that! From the time it was installed it was named The Floozie in the Jacuzzi and in fact that's what you'll find if you do a Google search. We're all very fond of our Floozie.

Now, tho, the jacuzzi's been dry for quite a while, due to cracks in the concrete. The council have decided to not repAir it, but to plant flowers etc round her. Have the Good Men of Birmingham never heard of a lady garden? Really? shock, they certainly have in the pub and if they also plant low growing shrubs, bet you anything the jokes about her trimming her bush will start. Can't waitgrin

Alima Wed 23-Mar-16 09:32:27

In Dublin the statue of Molly Malone is called The Tart with a Cart by the locals.

JessM Wed 23-Mar-16 09:40:14

I think it shows that scientists have a sense of humour.
( I think the Dubliners coined the floozy name first for a fountain there?)
I hope NERC also have a sense of humour and don't quash all the young scientists who voted for this. My DH really, really hopes he might get a chance to go to the Arctic on it one day. Or maybe "in her" as ships supposed to be female...