Gransnet forums

Food

To spiralize...or not?

(45 Posts)
nonnanna Thu 27-Aug-15 11:03:44

Inspired by the glut of courgettes coming our way I am tempted to get a spiralizer. I've been on Amazon and they look like instruments of torture.So I'm turning to Gransnetters for help as I'm now confused. Any comments on using these, recommendations or otherwise? Not for torture obviously grin Are they fiddly to use with slightly arthritic fingers? What can I spiralize after the courgettes run out? Any recipes to share? All suggestions gratefully received, pardon the pun.

Teetime Thu 27-Aug-15 11:13:06

I haven't used a spiralizer I do courgettes ribbons with a peeler. I understand some people use the gadget to make veg attractive to children- veg would have to be chip flavoured and covered in BBQ sauce for my grandson to fall for that one!smile

Anya Thu 27-Aug-15 11:23:51

I have one and use it all the time. My favourite veggies to spiralise are raw carrots, sweet potato, beetroot and courgette. Cooked beetroot spiralise nicely too.

Substitute for pasta eg I use sweet potato with a 'spag' bol. But also lovely added to salads. Or simply add to any meal as another way of serving vegetables.

Sometimes I steam, sometimes fry in olive oil and garlic, sometimes roast in the oven. My microwave blew up but I believe they microwave well too.

Fruits like apple and pear spirailse easily and the GC love them like that.

I find ithat really easy to get your 5-a-day this way.

I imagine, that it will come into its own in winter for soups and stews too.

Most spiralisers are easy to use (I have arthritic hands too) and very, very easy to clean afterwards.

nonnanna Thu 27-Aug-15 11:26:04

Ha ha Teetime same here! Or ketchup wink

nonnanna Thu 27-Aug-15 12:13:03

Ooohh Anya your post is exactly what I was hoping for. Gransnetter's never disappoint do they?! flowers
Is yours a tube-like twiddly one or a machine with a base? Any suggestions on what to get?

Anya Thu 27-Aug-15 12:21:20

Here's mine

Anya Thu 27-Aug-15 12:22:05

It's a bit of a skinny carrot - you need a fatter one really.

Anya Thu 27-Aug-15 12:25:54

I've shown you the three piece it consists of (I have three blades but usually just use the same one)

Then I've shown you with blade in.

Then you just slide the handle in, put your veg between blade and handle and turn.

TIP: if you find the feet don't grip too well and it keeps moving I turn it into a wall to stop it moving.

nonnanna Thu 27-Aug-15 12:26:58

Thank you Anya Much appreciated...love your skinny carrot comment

Anya Thu 27-Aug-15 12:30:04

Like to pick 'em young from the allotment.

Galen Thu 27-Aug-15 12:47:10

I hav a different one which has a basin that catches the spirals or slices. My favourite is a mix of courgettes and carrots, stir fried with soy sauce and rice wine then eaten on their own or as spider dish.

Notso Thu 27-Aug-15 12:54:53

Is that a dish with spiders Galen or instead of? grin

Galen Thu 27-Aug-15 13:32:26

Side dish! Definitely not spiders, I'm an arachnophobe!

Galen Thu 27-Aug-15 13:35:51

Like this

Clematisa Thu 27-Aug-15 13:39:00

I have one and have used it for courgettes and onions so far... watched a video on YouTube for ideas. First saw it on Saturday Kitchen and was reminded it was in the back of my cupboard after reading this thread... Will have to get it out again and use on my courgettes.

Anya Thu 27-Aug-15 13:52:35

Someone trying spiralising a cooked beetroot please. It tastes great and looks lovely.

Tegan Thu 27-Aug-15 14:18:56

Didn't they used to be called mouli juliennes [or is that something different?]

Lona Thu 27-Aug-15 15:23:53

Thanks for starting this thread nonnanana as I've just bought one today! It was £5 cheaper at JL than at Lakeland too.
My DS bought one a few weeks ago and uses it all the time, so he got dd one to help with her weight loss. I love courgettes with an oil and balsamic dressing and I can't wait to try beetroot.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Aug-15 17:20:29

confused Are they for people with no teeth?

You probably lose vitamins. You free up the enzymes. shock

Unless you spiralise straight into your mouth.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 27-Aug-15 17:23:50

as explained here

BabsAnn Wed 02-Sep-15 13:25:39

I love my spiraliser. Mine is quite small though and doesn't take up a lot of room at all. I spiralise courgettes and then mix up a lemon, olive oil and black pepper dressing and mix it all together. I serve it with fish and is always a hit! Would like to know what people do with other veg though. Might be at a bit of a loss when the courgettes go out of season... grin

absentgrandma Wed 02-Sep-15 13:44:45

Hmm... 25 quid+ to twiddle about with a courgette? Whatever floats your boat...but there's a distinct air of the King's New Clothes here I suspect. I guess spiralizers will be joining foot spas, toasted sandwich makers , electric waffle machines and espresso coffee makers in your neighbourhood car boot sale before too long.

Anya Wed 02-Sep-15 14:02:34

There's more than courgettes can be spiralised Babs - haven't you read other posts?

i think you'll find it was the Emporer's New Clothes AG and that they didn't actually exist. Are you saying spiralisers are a figment our our imagination? confused

absentgrandma Wed 02-Sep-15 14:15:39

The accepted idea of Emperor's /King's new clothes is what could be described in todays parlance as pure hype. Ie, everyone says how fantastic it is when in fact ....there's nowt there! Ever heard of a julliene cutter , Anya?

Anya Wed 02-Sep-15 14:46:18

Emperor: the ruler of empire. Empire: a group of countries that are controlled by one ruler / government. King: the (male) ruler of an independent state / country that has a royal family. Kingdom: a country ruled by a king (or queen)